Engineering Physics or Astronautics?

In summary, the individual is considering attending Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University for a bachelors degree in either Engineering Physics with a focus on spacecraft systems and instrumentation or Aerospace Engineering with a track in astronautics. They originally wanted to pursue a career in astrophysics but changed their mind in order to secure a job quickly after graduation. They are now considering spacecraft design and seeking advice on the matter.
Jfredolay
Hello! I'm currently planning to attend Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University where they have a bachelors degree in Engineering Physics with emphasis on spacecraft systems and instrumentation. The college also has aerospace Engineering with a track in astronautics. I want a career that focuses on space which is why I wanted to go into astrophysics, but I abandoned that career choice because I want to land a job fast and without much competition once I finish college. My next career choice is spacecraft design which leads to the original question in which this thread is titled. Thank you for your time, and advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
In general I would avoid taking anything too specialized as an undergraduate student. On the surface of it both options sound pretty specialized to me. Personally I'd opt for something a little more general and then fill it out with courses you think are interesting and relevant to the field that you want to get into. That leaves a few more doors open in the event that you discover that you don't actually want to work in that field, or if there aren't many places in that field hiring when you graduate and suddenly need a job.

1. What is Engineering Physics?

Engineering Physics is a field that combines principles of physics with engineering to solve complex problems and create new technologies. It is a multidisciplinary field that covers topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and quantum mechanics.

2. What is the difference between Engineering Physics and regular Physics?

Engineering Physics focuses on the practical application of physics principles to solve real-world engineering problems, whereas regular physics is more theoretical and focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the universe.

3. What is Astronautics?

Astronautics is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and operation of spacecraft and related technology. It covers topics such as rocket propulsion, orbital mechanics, and space systems design.

4. Can you become an astronaut with a degree in Engineering Physics or Astronautics?

Having a degree in Engineering Physics or Astronautics is a great foundation for a career in the space industry, but it does not guarantee becoming an astronaut. Astronauts typically have a background in engineering, science, or aviation and must also pass rigorous physical and psychological evaluations.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a degree in Engineering Physics or Astronautics?

Graduates with a degree in Engineering Physics or Astronautics can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including aerospace, defense, energy, and technology. Some common job titles include aerospace engineer, systems engineer, research scientist, and data analyst.