Engineering Statics (Vector Questions)

In summary, the individual is having trouble with drawing a parallelogram correctly for a physics problem. They are seeking advice on how to find the components of a force using a slanted axis. The suggested method is to find the angle the force makes with respect to the axis and use trigonometry to determine the components. The individual is also wondering if the same method can be applied to a different problem with a blank image. The suggested approach for this problem is to use the parallelogram law to create a force triangle.
xtrubambinoxpr

Homework Statement

Attached below

Homework Equations

I am having a problem because the solutions manual does the parallelogram method and stupid me I cannot draw the parallelogram correctly. Specifically my drawings are off a bit. and it throws me off every time. the last one I had vector (FR) completely wrong because the damn figure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to draw a parallelogram but i suck at it and want some advice / help. If anyone has any suggestions. I am better on doing it into components but how would you do this in components being the axis is slanted.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-30 at 2.00.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-30 at 2.00.21 AM.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 530
Physics news on Phys.org
They defined the axis for you in this problem, and want you to find the components of the force relative to those axis. So what you can do is find the angle the force makes with respect to the u-v axis and use trig to find the components.

LeFerret said:
They defined the axis for you in this problem, and want you to find the components of the force relative to those axis. So what you can do is find the angle the force makes with respect to the u-v axis and use trig to find the components.

so would i be right to say the right side has a triangle with degree measures 45, 30(alt interior angles, and 105?

xtrubambinoxpr said:
so would i be right to say the right side has a triangle with degree measures 45, 30(alt interior angles, and 105?

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that the angle F1 makes to the v-axis is 45degrees?

well 180 in a line.. so 180 - 105 = 75.. for the "quadrant III" let's say.. opposite is 75 total.. but you have 30 given. so that makes the extra angle left 45. so the alt interior angle tells me that there will be a 45, 30, 105 triangle

xtrubambinoxpr said:
well 180 in a line.. so 180 - 105 = 75.. for the "quadrant III" let's say.. opposite is 75 total.. but you have 30 given. so that makes the extra angle left 45. so the alt interior angle tells me that there will be a 45, 30, 105 triangle

Correct. From that you can find the angle F2 makes relative to the v-axis as well and from that you can determine the components of the force with respect to the u-v axis.

LeFerret said:
Correct. From that you can find the angle F2 makes relative to the v-axis as well and from that you can determine the components of the force with respect to the u-v axis.
Ok cool thanks! One last question
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1391067296.376356.jpg

The new image I attached is so blank. Would I use the same method?

xtrubambinoxpr said:
Ok cool thanks! One last question
View attachment 66145

The new image I attached is so blank. Would I use the same method?

Hmm, I'm not quite sure on this one, I would say no but don't take my word for it. What I would consider though is using the parallelogram law to create a force triangle. I can't really offer any tips on it, just draw A+B, then translate them accordingly to make the parallelogram.

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of equilibrium in engineering statics?

Equilibrium in engineering statics refers to the state in which all forces acting on a body are balanced and the body is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity. This means that the sum of all forces in both the vertical and horizontal directions must equal zero, and the sum of all moments about any point must also equal zero.

2. How are vectors used in engineering statics?

Vectors are used in engineering statics to represent and analyze the forces acting on a body. They have both magnitude and direction, and are typically represented by arrows. By using vectors, engineers can determine the resultant force and moment on a body, as well as the equilibrium conditions.

3. What is the importance of free body diagrams in engineering statics?

Free body diagrams are essential in engineering statics as they help engineers visualize and analyze the forces acting on a body. By drawing a free body diagram, engineers can identify all the forces acting on a body, their directions, and their points of application. This is crucial in determining the equilibrium conditions and solving engineering statics problems.

4. How do you determine the direction and magnitude of a vector?

The direction and magnitude of a vector can be determined using trigonometric functions and the Pythagorean theorem. The direction of a vector is represented by the angle it makes with a reference axis, while the magnitude is determined by the length of the vector. Engineers use this information to analyze and solve vector problems in engineering statics.

5. What are some common applications of engineering statics in real-world scenarios?

Engineering statics has numerous real-world applications, including analyzing and designing structures such as buildings, bridges, and vehicles. It is also used in the design of machines and mechanical systems, as well as in the field of fluid mechanics to study the forces acting on fluids at rest. Understanding engineering statics is crucial for engineers in various industries to ensure the safety and stability of structures and systems.