Vector Question -- |A+B| is 78 times greater than |A-B|

• Thread starter smakhtar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, to find the angle between vectors A and B where |A+B| is 78 times greater than |A-B|, the dot product and cosine rule can be used to solve the system of equations. The relationship between |A+B| and (A+B) dot (A+B) is that they are equal, and to find the angle, one must solve for cosine and take the inverse.
smakhtar

Homework Statement

Vectors A and B have the same magnitude. |A+B| is 78 times greater than |A-B|, for this to happen, what must be the angle between vectors A and B?

Homework Equations

78((A^2) + (B^2)-2ABcos(theta))=((A^2)+(B^2)+2ABcos(theta))
Made it by using dot product.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was used dot product and got 78((A^2) + (B^2)-2ABcos(theta))=((A^2)+(B^2)+2ABcos(theta)). And I let B=A because they have the same magnitude. I simplify this equation further and cancel things out and I got the wrong answer. The answer I got is 12.9 deg. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sketch out the addition and subtraction by head-to-tail.
You can use geometry (i.e. the cosine rule) on the two triangles to find the lengths of A+B and A-B.

The requirement that |A+B|/|A-B|=78 gives the third equation you need to solve the system.

So I got (x^2)=(A^2)+(B^2)-2AB(cos180 - theta)
and 78(x^2)=(A^2)+(B^2)-2ABcos(theta)
I rearranged for x in the first equation, and subbed that into the second, made B=A because they have the same magnitude. I canceled out the A's, and I got to 78(2+theta)=1-cos(theta). How do I solve for theta when there is theta alone and theta with cos?

smakhtar said:
By the way, before going much further, shouldn't we be squaring the 78 value somewhere along the way?

[e.g., (78x)2 = 782x2]

Last edited:
smakhtar said:
I rearranged for x in the first equation, and subbed that into the second, made B=A because they have the same magnitude. I canceled out the A's, and I got to 78(2+theta)=1-cos(theta). How do I solve for theta when there is theta alone and theta with cos?
... well you could have divided the second equation by the first one rather than substitute - it's algebraically easier.
... but if x=|A+B|, then shouldn't the second equation start out (x/78)^2 ... ?

You also simplify by putting |A|=|B|=a

You still get something that looks a bit like what you got - just a tad tidier.
To simplify - follow your nose: solve for cosθ and take the inverse.

How does |A+B| relate to (A+B) dot (A+B) ? Are they equal?

DEvens said:
How does |A+B| relate to (A+B) dot (A+B) ? Are they equal?
You should find it pretty easy to verify that C·C=|C|2 for all vectors C. In particular, this means that |A+B| is the square root of (A+B)·(A+B).

Related to Vector Question -- |A+B| is 78 times greater than |A-B|

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow and can be used to describe physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the length of the vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. For example, if a vector has components A and B, its magnitude is given by √(A^2 + B^2).

3. What does the equation |A+B| = 78|(A-B)| mean?

This equation means that the magnitude of the vector A+B is 78 times greater than the magnitude of the vector A-B. In other words, the length of A+B is 78 times longer than the length of A-B.

4. What does this vector question represent?

This vector question represents a comparison between two vectors, A+B and A-B, and their magnitudes. It may be used in a problem-solving scenario to find the values of A and B.

5. Can you give an example of a real-world application of this vector question?

One possible real-world application of this vector question could be in physics, where a force (represented by vector A) is applied to an object and then removed, causing the object to move in a certain direction. The resulting displacement of the object (represented by vector B) can be compared to the original force to determine the magnitude of the force required for the desired displacement. The equation |A+B| = 78|(A-B)| can be used to solve for the magnitude of the original force.