1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Question -- |A+B| is 78 times greater than |A-B|

1. Sep 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Vectors A and B have the same magnitude. |A+B| is 78 times greater than |A-B|, for this to happen, what must be the angle between vectors A and B?

2. Relevant equations
    78((A^2) + (B^2)-2ABcos(theta))=((A^2)+(B^2)+2ABcos(theta))
    Made it by using dot product.

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I did was used dot product and got 78((A^2) + (B^2)-2ABcos(theta))=((A^2)+(B^2)+2ABcos(theta)). And I let B=A because they have the same magnitude. I simplify this equation further and cancel things out and I got the wrong answer. The answer I got is 12.9 deg. What did I do wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sketch out the addition and subtraction by head-to-tail.
    You can use geometry (i.e. the cosine rule) on the two triangles to find the lengths of A+B and A-B.

The requirement that |A+B|/|A-B|=78 gives the third equation you need to solve the system.

4. Sep 18, 2014 #3
    So I got (x^2)=(A^2)+(B^2)-2AB(cos180 - theta)
    and 78(x^2)=(A^2)+(B^2)-2ABcos(theta)
    I rearranged for x in the first equation, and subbed that into the second, made B=A because they have the same magnitude. I cancelled out the A's, and I got to 78(2+theta)=1-cos(theta). How do I solve for theta when there is theta alone and theta with cos?

5. Sep 18, 2014 #4

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By the way, before going much further, shouldn't we be squaring the 78 value somewhere along the way?

[e.g., (78x)2 = 782x2]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  6. Sep 18, 2014 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... well you could have divided the second equation by the first one rather than substitute - it's algebraically easier.
    ... but if x=|A+B|, then shouldn't the second equation start out (x/78)^2 ... ?

You also simplify by putting |A|=|B|=a

You still get something that looks a bit like what you got - just a tad tidier.
    To simplify - follow your nose: solve for cosθ and take the inverse.

7. Sep 19, 2014 #6

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

How does |A+B| relate to (A+B) dot (A+B) ? Are they equal?

8. Sep 19, 2014 #7

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should find it pretty easy to verify that C·C=|C|2 for all vectors C. In particular, this means that |A+B| is the square root of (A+B)·(A+B).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted