Can I Switch from Engineering to Pure Physics at IIT-K?

In summary, the individual is currently studying mechanical engineering in their 2nd year of Btech, but their passion lies in theoretical physics. They express frustration with the emphasis on engineering in India and inquire about the possibility of switching to a pure science field. They also ask for advice on choosing a masters program to pursue physics, and mention the potential option of transferring to a physics program or doing a dual major or minor at IIT-K.
kini.Amith
I am currently doing my 2nd year in Btech ( Indian equivalent of BE) in mechanical engineering.
however I have always wanted to be a physicist (research or professor) mainly theoretical physics and not engineering .There is such a hype over engineering in India and that's why i chose BTech in the first place. Is there any way i can now convert to pure science? what should i choose as my masters (and further) in order to pursue physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about this - I'm not even from India - but if you're in IIT-K, I think you can transfer to Physics, do a dual major or a minor in it.

http://www.iitk.ac.in/math/BS_Program.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between engineering and pure physics?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. Pure physics, on the other hand, is the study of fundamental principles and laws governing the natural world, with a focus on understanding and explaining physical phenomena without practical application.

2. Can an engineer become a pure physicist?

Yes, it is possible for an engineer to transition into a career in pure physics. However, it may require additional education and training in theoretical physics and advanced mathematics.

3. How does engineering contribute to the field of pure physics?

Engineering plays a vital role in advancing the field of pure physics by providing practical applications for theoretical principles. For example, engineers design and build instruments and equipment that allow physicists to conduct experiments and gather data to test their theories.

4. What are some examples of pure physics research with engineering applications?

Some examples of pure physics research with engineering applications include the study of quantum mechanics for developing new technologies like quantum computing, the exploration of dark matter and energy for potential energy sources, and the investigation of nuclear physics for developing more efficient and sustainable energy sources.

5. Can engineering principles be applied to pure physics problems?

Yes, engineering principles, such as mathematical modeling, can be applied to pure physics problems to help physicists understand and predict physical phenomena. Additionally, engineers often collaborate with physicists to design and build experimental setups for testing and validating theories.