England vs Ecuador: 0-0 Score at Half Time

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, England played poorly in the first half but managed to win in the end. There were controversies with substitutions and the goalkeeper, but the team has potential.
Anttech said:
This is confusing, Yes they followed the FIFA Rules, but these rules are NOT the same for each country wanting to participate. As I have stated 2 times already, they did not need to qualify for the world cup because they are the host nation. This rule for qualification is different from every single other country, who HAS to qualify.
Yes but we all know that the host nation has a team that is very representative in soccer. This is one of the unwritten laws of FIFA when the host nation gets chosen. It is as simple as that.

Besides, why do you always talk about how germany should not have been qualified based upon their results ? One cannot say this if you look at the FIFA rules which you just stated in your last post.

Hey, maybe the German team just did not give it it's all because they did not care about gettin' selected. Maybe the pressure was not there. Well, it is there now and look at how their results have changed.

marlon

Physics news on Phys.org
yeh I suppose they were resting during Euro 2004 also...

Lets wait and see Marlon, Germany haven't had a stiff test yet... They will soon, if they beat Arg, I will retract what I said...

Anttech said:
Ohh so they weren't trying for euro2004? LOL

Huh, when did i ever say that ?

The Team they had at 2004 is closer to the same team this year, than that of the worldcup 2002.

Yeah right:rolleyes:

Didnt England do good in 1966?? :rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Yeah but who was the host country ? Maybe, they shouldn't have been selected in the first place because their pre-WC-results were quite poor

Besides, if you want to talk about history : didn't Germany perform a bit better than the UK in the entire WCup past ?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

marlon

Anttech said:
yeh I suppose they were resting during Euro 2004 also...

Ohh man, c'mon, no reason to be so cynical.

Lets wait and see Marlon, Germany haven't had a stiff test yet...
True but that does not mean that they have a bad team or that they should not be at the place where they are right now.

They will soon, if they beat Arg, I will retract what I said...
You will retract what you said ? But this is the point i don't get : the result against Argentina has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

So you can "retract all you want", the main point stays the same.

regards
marlon

The UK has never played in the world cup... Need to brush up on your geography matey :)

BTW: are you trying to say that the DE team of 2002 is closer to the team playing now than that of 2004?

You will retract what you said ? But this is the point i don't get : the result against Argentina has nothing to do with what we are talking about.
Seems you don't get anything I am saying to you...

It has everything to do with what I am talking about.. For the bloody last time:

GERMANY HAVENT BEAT A TOP FLIGHT TEAM SINCE BEFORE EURO2004. IN THIS WORLD CUP THEY HAVE NOT COME ACROSS A TOP FLIGHT TEAM. THEY WILL NOW AGAINST ARG. YOU SEEM TO THINK THIS FACT IS IRRELEVENT, I THINK IT IS HIGHLY RELEVENT. WE WILL SEE...

Anttech said:
The UK has never played in the world cup... Need to brush up on your geography matey :)

Matey, you know very well what i am talking about. It is not my fault that there is a UK, a Great Brittain and England...all i see is just an island with a very bad kitchen and a contra-European attitude. Anyhow...

BTW: are you trying to say that the DE team of 2002 is closer to the team playing now than that of 2004?
What do you mean by "closer"... As i understood it, "closer" means quality in play right ? If so, than YES the 2002 team is closer to this team than the 2004 team. This has nothing to do with "the same people" or whatever, but with "evoloving and getting THAT good that you are worldchampion-worthy"...alstublieft

regards
marlon

Anttech said:
Seems you don't get anything I am saying to you...

It has everything to do with what I am talking about.. For the bloody last time:

GERMANY HAVENT BEAT A TOP FLIGHT TEAM SINCE BEFORE EURO2004. IN THIS WORLD CUP THEY HAVE NOT COME ACROSS A TOP FLIGHT TEAM. THEY WILL NOW AGAINST ARG. YOU SEEM TO THINK THIS FACT IS IRRELEVENT, I THINK IT IS HIGHLY RELEVENT. WE WILL SEE...
NO NO NO.

JUST BECAUSE GERMANY DID NOT BEAT A TOP TEAM YET DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN DEGRADE THEM LIKE YOU DO FOR WHATEVER MYSTERIOUS REASON. IT ALSO DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY ARE NOT ABLE TO BEAT A TOP TEAM. STOP LOOKING IN THE PAST AND LOOK TO THE FUTURE. JEEEEZUUS. WE HAVE HAD SO MANY TOP TEAMS LOSING AGAINST SMALLER, LOWER RANKED TEAMS AND YOU DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THAT ?

marlon

No by closer I mean the personel...*sigh*

Matey, you know very well what i am talking about. It is not my fault that there is a UK, a Great Brittain and England...all i see is just an island with a very bad kitchen and a contra-European attitude. Anyhow...
LOL.. But it is obviously your fault that you don't know the difference between the political state and countries within the aggrements..

Anyway so when is France your home nation playing? (annoyed yet? :))

JUST BECAUSE GERMANY DID NOT BEAT A TOP TEAM YET DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN DEGRADE THEM LIKE YOU DO FOR WHATEVER MYSTERIOUS REASON. WE HAVE HAD SO MANY TOP TEAMS LOSING AGAINST SMALLER, LOWER RANKED TEAMS AND YOU DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THAT ?

Examples please?

Ohh yeh that would be costa rica getting beaten by Germany, is what you are referring too.. I would aggree there

Anttech said:
No by closer I mean the personel...*sigh*

:rolleyes: No reason to get all cranky just because you are not able to impose your "opinion".

LOL.. But it is obviously your fault that you don't know the difference between the political state and countries within the aggrements..
Obviously, but that does not imply that you knew exactly what i was referring to (ie England). Don't go changing the subject just because you ...

Anyway so when is France your home nation playing? (annoyed yet? :))
Again, don't go changing the subject just because you ...:wink:

marlon

Anttech said:
Ohh yeh that would be costa rica getting beaten by Germany, is what you are referring too.. I would aggree there
So you are saying that Costa Rica is the big team and germany is the small team ?

And ,please, don't tell me that you cannot find one single example where a big team lost or tied against a smaller team ? Have you watched any soccer the last two/three years ?

marlon

Obviously, but that does not imply that you knew exactly what i was referring to (ie England). Don't go changing the subject just because you ...
I didnt know what you were referring to, Wales N.Ireland Scotland, and England have all played in the world cup, did you mean there accumulative success? or did you mean 1 of the countries within the Political Union?

Anttech said:
I didnt know what you were referring to, Wales N.Ireland Scotland, and England have all played in the world cup, did you mean there accumulative success? or did you mean 1 of the countries within the Political Union?
:rofl:

I am talking about the team in which there is now a guy called Beckham. Yeah, THAT team...the one i mentioned in my last reference.

marlon

Ok England... Yes German have a beter track record than England. Actually they have the second best track record behind Brazil.

I am still waiting for the BIG upsets you have been talking about in this world cup?

Anttech said:
Ok England... Yes German have a beter track record than England. Actually they have the second best track record behind Brazil.

I am still waiting for the BIG upsets you have been talking about in this world cup?
First of all, i am not only talking about this world cup but all other competitions as well.

In this WC : Italy versus the USA

marlon

edit : and i am still not getting your example of Germany and Costa Rica...especially within the context of bigger teams losing against smaller teams

That was Sacarism... And I thought you were talking about this world cup, or at least the qualifiers... Since you weren't I see not relevency to this arguement, unless you are implying that Germany been beaten or drawing with most top flight European teams since Euro2004, is just that: Germany the big team been beaten by the smaller teams in Europe.

A team is as big as its players, name me the 'World class' players in the german team?

1 springs to mind Ballack, who is playing very well right now.. Cant think of any others who are 'world class' (And are proven to be)

Spain, Portugal, France, Netherlands, (Dare I say it) England, Czech Republic, Italy. All have numerous recognised names that one would say are, 'World class' german have 3 maybe... But can u name them?

Last edited:
A team may be as big as it players but it isn't as good as.

Klose and Polandski (sp?) look brilliant so far.

btw: Lehmann and Kahn should be considered world-class.

This argument is going round in circles.

Has it anything to do with England any more?

Anttech said:
A team is as big as its players, name me the 'World class' players in the german team?

1 springs to mind Ballack, who is playing very well right now.. Cant think of any others who are 'world class' (And are proven to be)

Well these types of arguments completely contradict with the very nature of the soccer game. A world class TEAM does not need wrold class players. It needs players that can work together in a "world class manner". A good team just needs one world class player, like Ballack or Klose and then many good players that are well adjusted to each other. Another example is the Argentina of Maradonna or the Napoli of Maradonna. An example of the "opposite not working" is Real Madrid. I think such examples do not need any further elaboration.

Secondly, YES my argument of "big teams versus small teams" is still relevant even if you we look at other competitions as well. What i wanted to explain is that you cannot just say germany is bad because they have not yet played and beaten a big team. There have been many big teams that were beaten by smaller teams. Does that make those big teams small ? No it does NOT. Whether such events occurred in this world cup or not is not relevant because it is the general underlying principle that i wanted to outline.

marlon

edit

Anttech said:
Spain, Portugal, France, Netherlands, (Dare I say it) England, Czech Republic, Italy. All have numerous recognised names that one would say are, 'World class' german have 3 maybe... But can u name them?
Yeah, and look how France is playing
Yeah, and look how England is playing (besides, what top players here ?)
Yeah, and look how Italy is playing (what big team have they beaten yet ?)
Yeah, and look how Holland is playing (they are already out, although they are the only team in your list with true potential towards the future)

marlon

Last edited:
J77 said:

CORRECTAMUNDO

marlon

Another example is the Argentina of Maradonna or the Napoli of Maradonna. An example of the "opposite not working" is Real Madrid. I think such examples do not need any further elaboration.
You think wrong then, Real Madrid's problem isn't that they have world class players, it's that they don't play well together, and have ZZ as the play maker who is past his prime. Barcelona conridict what you just said.. World class and world beaters..

Secondly, YES my argument of "big teams versus small teams" is still relevant even if you we look at other competitions as well. What i wanted to explain is that you cannot just say germany is bad because they have not yet played and beaten a big team. There have been many big teams that were beaten by smaller teams. Does that make those big teams small ? No it does NOT. Whether such events occurred in this world cup or not is not relevant because it is the general underlying principle that i wanted to outline.

What has that got to do with anything?

LOOK let's go right back to the begining.

German per popular oppinion in the football press (Bar Mr viva La France here[joking mate]) are playing above what was expected from them, and what should be expected looking at there team sheet. They are not a very good team (stats) and are over performing, they still have to be tested regardless... If they win I will retract what I have said. ANYWAY let's not forget that its being played IN GERMANY

I never said a good team needs world class players.. But it helps... Hell Greece won the Euro :)))))))))) (But we have some great players)

Anttech said:
You think wrong then, Real Madrid's problem isn't that they have world class players, it's that they don't play well together,
:rolleyes:
But this is exactly what i was trying to tell you. YOU were the one who was just talking about world class players, I was the one brining in the argument of "good team play". It seems to me that the content of your own words changes with every post. It is very difficult (but not impossible, though) to keep track of that.

What has that got to do with anything?
What do you mean ?

German per popular oppinion in the football press (Bar Mr viva La France here[joking mate]) are playing above what was expected from them, and what should be expected looking at there team sheet. They are not a very good team (stats) and are over performing, they still have to be tested regardless... If they win I will retract what I have said. ANYWAY let's not forget that its being played IN GERMANY

Are we going to start all over again ?

Ok, once more, what you state here is IRRELEVANT AND UNTRUE...(the rest of my answer can be read from my second post in this thread on):rolleyes:

marlon

But this is exactly what i was trying to tell you. YOU were the one who was just talking about world class players, I was the one brining in the argument of "good team play". It seems to me that the content of your own words changes with every post. It is very difficult (but not impossible, though) to keep track of that.

kettle calling the pot black... I THINK YOU WILL FIND THIS IS EXACTLY THE WAY YOU HAVE BEEN DEGRADING THIS THREAD. I have not changed my stance..

Ok, once more, what you state here is IRRELEVANT AND UNTRU

LOL Its hard FACT... Irrelevent IN YOUR OPPINION

But this is exactly what i was trying to tell you.
In future if you are trying to tell something to someone, it would be preferable if you actually say that... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

madness... You are impossible

Last edited:
marlon said:
Yes but we all know that the host nation has a team that is very representative in soccer. This is one of the unwritten laws of FIFA when the host nation gets chosen. It is as simple as that.

USA '94, Korea/Japan 2002, South Africa 2010... not exactly the faces of football :tongue: These are more choosen to spread the game around than by the hosts prowess.

marlon said:
Hey, maybe the German team just did not give it it's all because they did not care about gettin' selected. Maybe the pressure was not there. Well, it is there now and look at how their results have changed.

I'd agree with that. They weren't really under the pressure of qualify or die, so who knows if they would have made it through.

They have played quite well so far, very entertaining. "World Class" player count is totally irrelevant when it comes to the Germans, 2002 a great example.

Some England comments :wink: : can anyone defend Svens last minute substitution of Gerrard? That seemed nuts. I think it's a mistake that Wolcott hasn't been played yet (given that he's already here, but it's too late to get into that). If he couldn't be trusted against any of their relatively weak opponents so far, how much confidence could he have if he has to play against Portugal?

Anttech said:
kettle calling the pot black... I THINK YOU WILL FIND THIS IS EXACTLY THE WAY YOU HAVE BEEN DEGRADING THIS THREAD. I have not changed my stance..

Well, if this is the only reaction you can come up with...ok, whatever...it is very brave that your "stance" remains unchanged. Same here.

LOL Its hard FACT... Irrelevent IN YOUR OPPINION
HARD FACT...ERRR, yeah...in what journal was this published again ?

In future if you are trying to tell something to someone, it would be preferable if you actually say that... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Well, that only helps if the people you are talking to actually take the effort of LISTENING and not regurgitating their own opinion over and over again.

madness... You are impossible
That's what my mother used to say as well.

marlon

marlon, I have read what you have said.. I didnt aggree and don't aggree... and never will aggree with what you said. You come across as someone who know little to nothing about football..

HARD FACT...ERRR, yeah...in what journal was this published again ?
yeh the FIFA www site... They haven't beaten 1 top level Euro team since before euro2004.. is a statement which is backed up with fact... u don't seem to get that do you? it is a fact..

Again I won't be participating in this little sledging game of yours any longer

I'd have to agree more with Anttech on this one, but I don't think either one will make it through.

Germany is riding the wave of being the host nation. USA did great in '94, SKorea did great in '02. In fact, considering France's performance since '98, maybe they're WC was due more to being host nation than talent. Still, I'd say Germany is very close to being a great team again. Countries like Brazil, Germany, and Italy never really rebuild, they just reload. They won't be good enough to get by Argentina, which is already a great team, right now, when it matters.

England is playing a lot worse than I would have expected. I really thought they had a good chance this year. They were the best team in Europe (if you discount Czech Republic which was obviously over rated) and the champion usually comes from the same continent as the host nation. I think they just got a lot weaker losing Owen, though. I'm hoping they get by Portugal, but there's no way they're getting by Brazil.

All things considered, I think that having the WC in Europe won't be as important as it usually is and you'll have an all-America final.

Last edited:
Anttech said:
marlon, I have read what you have said.. I didnt aggree and don't aggree... and never will aggree with what you said.
Your point being ?

You come across as someone who know little to nothing about football..

Strange, i am thinking the exact same thing about you.

yeh the FIFA www site... They haven't beaten 1 top level Euro team since before euro2004.. is a statement which is backed up with fact... u don't seem to get that do you? it is a fact..
But i am not denying that, i am saying that this is irrelevant. Jeezus : learn to read and listen.

Again I won't be participating in this little sledging game of yours any longer
God, it's like talking to an angry child.

Anyhow, please do feel free to do whatever you want to do.

marlon

BobG said:
I'd have to agree more with Anttech on this one, but I don't think either one will make it through.
You agree on what exactly ?

Germany is riding the wave of being the host nation.
Well, being the host nation certainly is not a disadvantage but it does not say it all. The US did great in the last worldcup as well. Germany became WChamp in Italy as well...I mean, there are a lot of examples that show the reality is not as simple as it is being presented by Antech.

England is playing a lot worse than I would have expected. I really thought they had a good chance this year. They were the best team in Europe (if you discount Czech Republic which was obviously over rated) and the champion usually comes from the same continent as the host nation. I think they just got a lot weaker losing Owen, though. I'm hoping they get by Portugal, but there's no way they're getting by Brazil.
Yes but this shows that results obtained before the WCup do not say anything about what the achievement in the actual competition will be like. This is what i have been trying to explain to Anttech from the beginning.

marlon

marlon said:
YGermany became WChamp in Italy as well...I mean, there are a lot of examples that show the reality is not as simple as it is being presented by Antech.

To be fair, Klinsman, Brehme, Matthäus, and Völler were all playing in Italy at the time.

NateTG said:
To be fair, Klinsman, Brehme, Matthäus, and Völler were all playing in Italy at the time.

NOW that German team were Amazing!

marlon said:
IMO, he is just a very lucky player, if you know what i mean.

marlon

I think it was pele who said that Joe cole would slot straight into the brazilian squad.

If you were to see joe cole play in the premeirship you would understand why your wrong, the man is truly gifted . His can on occasions show boat to much and at the wrong times, but he will be a great star of the future.

Brazil won't last they've lost it , they just aint good enuf this time round.They haven't got a defence and will go out in the semi finals

One of these teams will win it.
Argentina ,germany or england

Last edited:
ukmicky said:
I think it was pele who said that Joe cole would slot straight into the brazilian squad.

If you were to see joe cole play in the premeirship you would understand why your wrong, the man is truly gifted . His can on occasions show boat to much and at the wrong times, but he will be a great star of the future.

I agree with the poster. Joe Cole is gifted, as with Steven Gerrad (The only England players I consider really good)

However, With the current way they are playing, I see it Immensly difficult for England to pass through. Never mind portugal, but either France or Brazil is next, and from what I've seen from Brazil's recovering Ronaldo and Zidane also, they will have to be at their UPMOST form to even stand a chance against them. And Portugal; they may have lost Deco, but a lot of gifted players are still avaliable in that team with Phillip Scolari on their back.

Sven Goran at the way he's going now, is not even a match for Scolari. I think its the MOST optimistic people who think that England are going to win. But, 40 years is a long time to keep saying 'our time is now'.

Bottom line: I really don't think England stand much of a chance in the quarter or semi finals.

No one believed liverpool were good enough to win the champions leaque but they did.

When england last won the world cup they played rubbish right up to the semi finals.

England have got it in them to raise there game.

Last edited: