Enlist Multiple Authors for a Research Paper?

In summary: If you're trying to get a paper accepted for publication, it's helpful to know who to talk to, and what kinds of things will help your case.In summary, getting multiple authors on a paper can be beneficial for a variety of reasons, but it's often an uphill battle and not prohibitively difficult to get people to sign on.
dimensionless
I have an idea for a research paper. Given sufficient free time, I'm fully capable of writing this paper by myself. For some reason most papers seem to have multiple authors. Are there any good reasons why I should attempt to enlist others to make contributions to this paper?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does your advisor say?

I don't have an advisor. I'm not in school.

Uh... since you don't sound like an academic, it will probably be an uphill struggle to get published in the first place. In that case, getting credible academics to sign on to your paper as co-authors would probably make that substantially easier, and mean that people will pay more attention to it when it finally is.

Why academics write papers with multiple authors I think mostly is due to other factors, like how it's easier and often more productive to do science as part of a team.

An author of a paper is presumed to have made a substantial contribution to the contents of the paper. If you wrote the paper yourself no reputable person will, in good conscience, agree to have their name put on the paper.

Some people are of the opinion that multiple authorship means that the story you put forth is inherently more believable, because the authors can 'check each others work'. I'm not sure I buy into that- there are lots of classic single-author papers out there.

Usually the reason you see multiple authors is that different people brought different contributions to the paper. One person might design an experiment, a second run it, and a third analyzed the data. Sometimes you'll see a theorist enlist a coauthor to perform a calculation or part of a calculation that he's an expert on. And so on.

I don't think getting coauthors for the sake of coauthors is right, and as Andy says, reputable people won't sign on anyway. I think there is some utility in understanding the publication process, though.

1. How many authors can be enlisted for a research paper?

There is no set limit on the number of authors that can be enlisted for a research paper. However, it is generally recommended to keep the number of authors to a reasonable amount to ensure effective collaboration and avoid issues with authorship credit.

2. How should the authors be listed in a research paper?

The authors should be listed in order of their contribution to the research, with the primary author being the one who made the most significant contribution. This can be determined through discussions and mutual agreement among the authors.

3. Can authors from different institutions collaborate on a research paper?

Yes, authors from different institutions can collaborate on a research paper. In fact, collaboration between researchers from different institutions can bring diverse perspectives and enhance the quality of the research.

4. What is the purpose of listing multiple authors on a research paper?

The purpose of listing multiple authors on a research paper is to give credit to all those who have contributed to the research. It also helps in establishing credibility and expertise in the field by showcasing diverse perspectives and areas of expertise.

5. How should conflicts regarding authorship be resolved?

Conflicts regarding authorship should be resolved through open and honest communication among the authors. It is important to have a clear understanding of each author's contribution and come to a mutual agreement on the order of authorship. If necessary, a neutral third party, such as a supervisor or mentor, can be consulted for mediation.