Enquiry on flexible-elastic induction heating

In summary, Gold's idea of a flexible/elastic cooking surface is possible, but would require some additional design work.
goldsmiths des
Hi,

I am a designer currently working on alternative induction cooking methods. The question is, whether it is possible to have a flexible/elastic cooking surface (something like a mat, that would roll up, fold up, expand etc.) A project similar to this, is here http://designbygoci.com/Rollup_portfolio.html , but i don't know if something like this would be actually possible?

I lack technical expertise in the field so any hints, directions or knowledge from you would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi
My very first instinct was that the power source would not be roll-upable and would take up a lot of room. The picture in that link confirmed my thoughts. I don't see why this would not be possible, in pronciple but you need to include the RF power generator and thermal insulation into your design. The 'heating element' is, after all, only a flat coil-type radiator and that could easily be fabricated. The problem with induction heating is that metal underneath the coil will also get hot and would need to be very low resistance compared with the metal of the pans on top. This means it requires very good insulation underneath, to protect the surface it would rest on. I think this would have to be true even if you could think up some fancy way of winding the coil.
Your post is a bit confusing in that you say you are a designer yet you lack technical expertise. This seems a bit problematical, to me. You really need to get some technical expertise pdq, I should have thought and an EE course would seem to be appropriate before you should get involved. Alternatively, you would be best to collaborate with someone with the appropriate knowledge (it's not trivial).

Hello Gold - Interesting idea, there are good high temp silicon mats, that can take the heat, so you will need to embed the induction coil in a material like this - however it look like that is what your link is. What is it that you are looking to do that is different? Or are you just asking if this concept is valid? ) I say yes.

1. What is flexible-elastic induction heating?

Flexible-elastic induction heating is a type of induction heating that uses flexible and elastic materials, such as rubber or plastic, as the heating medium. It involves the use of high-frequency electromagnetic waves to generate heat in the material, allowing for precise and localized heating without the need for direct contact.

2. How does flexible-elastic induction heating work?

Flexible-elastic induction heating works by using an alternating electric current to create a magnetic field. The magnetic field induces eddy currents in the flexible and elastic material, causing it to heat up due to its electrical resistance. This method allows for efficient and controllable heating of the material without the need for external heat sources.

3. What are the advantages of using flexible-elastic induction heating?

Flexible-elastic induction heating has several advantages over traditional heating methods. It is energy-efficient, as it only heats the targeted material and not the surrounding environment. It is also fast and precise, allowing for quick and localized heating. Additionally, it does not require direct contact, making it a safe and clean heating option.

4. What are some common applications of flexible-elastic induction heating?

Flexible-elastic induction heating has a wide range of applications in various industries. It is commonly used for curing and shaping rubber and plastic materials, as well as in the production of medical devices and electronics. It can also be used for heating and sealing packaging materials, and in the automotive industry for heating and shaping certain components.

5. Are there any limitations to flexible-elastic induction heating?

While flexible-elastic induction heating has many advantages, it also has some limitations. It is not suitable for heating materials with high electrical conductivity, such as metals, as they may short-circuit the induction heating process. The size and shape of the material being heated may also affect the efficiency of the heating process. Additionally, the initial setup and equipment costs for flexible-elastic induction heating may be higher compared to other heating methods.