Disproving the Assertion: P |= (Q v R) ≠ (P |= Q) or (P |= R)

• Thread starter EvLer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the easiest way to show that a and b are not necessarily the same is to find a situation in which one is true and the other not- basically, write out the truth tables.
EvLer
I somehow need to prove that a and b are not necessarily the same:
a. P |= (Q v R)
b. either (P |= Q) or (P |= R) or both

I am not asking for a full solution, just directing hints...
thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
In less technical language, (a) says "P implies Q or R" or "If P is true then either Q is true or R is true". (b) says "either P implies Q or P implies R" or "either "if P is true then Q is true" or "if P is true then R" is true".

Easiest way to show that they are not the same is to find a situation in which one is true and the other not- basically, write out the truth tables. Since each of P, Q, and R can be either True or False, there are 8 possiblities:
P Q R
T T T
T T F
T F T
T F F
F T T
F T F
F F T
F F F

Determine whether P |= (Q v R) is true or false in each of those cases, then determin whether (P |= Q) v (P|= R) is true of false in each of those cases. Can you find a case in which one is true but the other false?

if i understand correctly, that does not seem to work out, since P |= (RvQ) is true if either R or Q are F but not both and so is the (P |= Q) v (P |= R), i.e. i do not see a case where one expression is true while the other is false...:frown:

Qualitative explanation:

P entailing R means something in P MAKES R be true, same for entailing Q. Entailing both would entail P&Q. Maybe there's only something in P that narrows it down to Q or R, but doesn't force it either way, if you know what I mean?

Like the empty set entails P V ~P, but it doesn't entail P, it doesn't entail ~P, and it certainly doesn't entail both.

What is entailment?

Entailment is a logical relationship between two sentences, where one sentence logically follows from the other. It is a form of deductive reasoning, where the first sentence (known as the premise) guarantees the truth of the second sentence (known as the conclusion).

Why is entailment important?

Entailment is important in language understanding and natural language processing tasks. It helps in determining the meaning and coherence of sentences, and is used in tasks such as text summarization, question answering, and sentiment analysis.

How is entailment represented in natural language processing?

In natural language processing, entailment is often represented using mathematical models such as vector space models, neural networks, and logic-based models. These models use the semantics of words and sentences to determine the logical relationship between them.

What are some common challenges in entailment homework?

Some common challenges in entailment homework include understanding the logical relationship between sentences, identifying the correct premise and conclusion, and applying the appropriate rules of deductive reasoning. Students may also face difficulties in using the correct terminology and notation.

How can I improve my skills in entailment homework?

To improve your skills in entailment homework, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the rules of deductive reasoning. You can also read and analyze examples of entailment to gain a better understanding of the concept. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.