Entanglement setup that shouldn't allow for the transmission of info

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
entropy1
Messages
1,232
Reaction score
72
Suppose we produce a polarisation-entangled photon pair ##A_1## and ##A_2##. Then we entangle another pair ##B_1## and ##B_2##.

Now suppose that these photons will not interact with anything, sending ##A_1## and ##B_1## to Alice and ##A_2## and ##B_2## to Bob.

Alice measures the polarisations of the pair of photons she received. Bob however doesn't measure them, but either entangles them correlative or anti-correlative.

I don't know a lot of aspects of this setup, but I ask: what makes transmission of information impossible?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Search for "entanglement swapping" in these forums. We had a huge thread about it, discussing all aspects about "transmission of information".
 
entropy1 said:
Alice measures the polarisations of the pair of photons she received. Bob however doesn't measure them, but either entangles them correlative or anti-correlative.

I don't know a lot of aspects of this setup, but I ask: what makes transmission of information impossible?

The key word in your setup is the bolded "or". This is not something Bob can control when Bob performs an entanglement swap. A successful swap places the 2 photons in a random unknown state. (A random state obviously doesn't allow for much information to be present.)