Understanding Entropy and Equilibrium: Debunking the Confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of entropy and its relation to equilibrium in the universe. While the textbook initially states that entropy at equilibrium is equal to zero, it later clarifies that the universe achieves maximum entropy at equilibrium. This is because entropy tends to increase, and equilibrium means that entropy remains constant. The book may also mention that the change in entropy is zero for small changes to a system in equilibrium.
jisun.hong
I'm so confused.
So my textbook tells me that entropy of the universe is equal to zero at equilibrium.
And then later on it tells me at equilibrium the universe achieves maximum entropy.
So is it zero or max?
Thanks for the help.

Science news on Phys.org
Maximum since entropy tends to increase. So if you have a system at equilibrium it means that its entropy remains constant, but as entropy tends to increase it means that the entropy of the system is at its maximum. It seems that your book take the whole universe as a system, so replace "system" by "universe" in my post and all is fine.

Could your book have said that the change in entropy (mathematically, [itex]dS[/itex] rather than [itex]S[/itex]) is zero for small changes to a system in equilibrium?

Mapes said:
Could your book have said that the change in entropy (mathematically, [itex]dS[/itex] rather than [itex]S[/itex]) is zero for small changes to a system in equilibrium?
Good catch Mapes :) Must be this.

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the randomness or disorder in a system. It is a thermodynamic property that describes the amount of energy that is unavailable for work in a system.

2. How does entropy relate to equilibrium?

In a closed system, entropy tends to increase over time until it reaches a state of equilibrium, where the system is at maximum disorder. This is because energy naturally flows from areas of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration, resulting in an increase in entropy.

3. Can entropy ever decrease?

According to the second law of thermodynamics, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. However, it is possible for the entropy of a specific component within the system to decrease as long as the total entropy of the system increases.

4. How is entropy measured?

Entropy is typically measured in units of joules per kelvin (J/K). It can also be measured in units of bits or bytes in information theory, where it represents the amount of uncertainty or randomness in a system.

5. What is the relationship between entropy and energy?

Entropy and energy are inversely related. As entropy increases, the amount of energy available for work decreases. This is because a more disordered system has less usable energy, while a more ordered system has more usable energy.