What happens to entropy when kinetic energy increases in a system?

In summary, entropy is a measure of the uncertainty of the exact state of a system, and it increases as the kinetic energy of a particle inside a box increases due to the increase in possible momenta.
befj0001
Entropy is basically a measure of the number of avaible microstates a system can have, given a certain energy of the system. It is a measure of the uncertainty of the exact state of the system.

Now, suppose we have a box with a single particle inside and with the only internal energy being the kinetic energy of the particle. What happens with the entropy as we increase the kinetic energy of the particle? If it were a molecule, an increase in energy might lead to extra degrees of freedom in form of vibrations etc. But this is not the case now.

edit: Think I figured it out. Of course the "volume" in p-space of possible momenta increases, i.e, the 2-sphere has a greater area if we increase the magnitude of the momenta as a result of an increase in kinetic energy. And so the entropy must increase.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
befj0001 said:
edit: Think I figured it out. Of course the volume of possible momenta increases, i.e, the 2-sphere has a greater area if we increase the magnitude of the momenta as a result of an increase in kinetic energy. And so the entropy must increase.
That sounds correct.

What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic property that describes the distribution of energy within a system.

How is entropy related to kinetic energy?

Entropy and kinetic energy are both measures of the energy present in a system. As the kinetic energy of particles increases, the disorder and randomness of the system also increases, resulting in an increase in entropy.

What is the relationship between temperature and entropy?

As temperature increases, the kinetic energy of particles also increases, leading to an increase in the disorder and randomness of the system. This in turn results in an increase in entropy.

How does entropy affect the behavior of a system?

Entropy dictates the direction of spontaneous processes in a system. In general, a system will tend towards increasing disorder and randomness, which corresponds to an increase in entropy.

Can entropy be decreased?

According to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, the total entropy of an isolated system will always remain constant or increase. However, it is possible to decrease the local entropy in a system, but at the expense of increasing the entropy in the surroundings.