1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entropy of a mole of an ideal gas

1. Jun 7, 2009 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the entropy of one mole of an ideal gas is given by [tex]\Delta S = \int \frac{C_v dT+PdV}{T}[/tex].

2. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\Delta S= \frac{dQ}{T}[/tex]. From the 1st of Thermodynamics, [tex]\Delta U= \Delta Q - \Delta W[/tex], where [tex]W[/tex] is the work done by the gas.

Hence [tex]\Delta Q = \Delta U + \Delta W \Rightarrow dQ=dU+dW=C_vdT+PdV[/tex]. So [tex]\Delta S= \int \frac{C_vdT+PdV}{T}[/tex].[tex]\square[/tex].
    But this is cheat. By this I mean that I didn't know that [tex]dU=C_vdT[/tex]. I deduced it because I had to fall over the result. How can I deduce [tex]dU=C_vdT[/tex], for an ideal gas?
    Where did I supposed the 1 mol of the ideal gas?
    Last question, what are the bounds of the integral of the change of entropy?
    Because [tex]\Delta S = \int \frac{C_v dT+PdV}{T}=\int \frac{C_vdT}{T}+ \int \frac{PdV}{T}[/tex] and I'm sure the bounds of the 2 integrals are different. For instance I think that the bounds of [tex]\int \frac{PdV}{T}[/tex] are [tex]\int_{V_1}^{V_2} \frac{PdV}{T}[/tex]. And I guess that the bounds of [tex]\int \frac{C_vdT}{T}[/tex] are [tex]\int_{T_1}^{T_2} \frac{C_vdT}{T}[/tex] but I'm not sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By definition,

[tex]C_X=T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_X[/tex]

where [itex]X[/itex] is some constraint. This is easily combined with [itex]dU=T\,dS-P\,dV[/itex].

If you define [itex]S[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] as the molar entropy and molar volume, respectively, then everything works out. You'll just multiply the answer by 1 mole.

I don't believe it's possible to write a definite integral that contains both [itex]dT[/itex] and [itex]dV[/itex]. Combining them is a useful shorthand that works for the indefinite integral only.

4. Jun 7, 2009 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok, thank you very much!

5. Jun 7, 2009 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a constant volume process, W = 0. From the first law, if W = 0, dQ = dU.

By definition dQ = nCvdT for a constant volume process. So dU = nCvdT.

AM

6. Jun 7, 2009 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thanks. I think I understand well now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook