EPR paradox and time of collapse

In summary, according to the EPR-paradox, the 'canonical' solution states that it is not possible to transfer information by measuring a particle. However, this raises questions about whether measuring A truly does not transfer any information to B and in which reference frame A and B collapse together if they have a nonzero relative velocity. Quantum mechanics has been unified with special relativity, but the absence of an absolute notion of simultaneity makes it difficult to determine the time of collapse. Additionally, entangled particles do not behave the same way as non-entangled particles, as shown in experiments by Anton Zeilinger. Therefore, it is not possible to determine entanglement through single particle measurements and extra outside information is needed to see the ent
thephystudent
According to the EPR-paradox, if we have a pair of two entangled spin-1/2 fermions A and B and measure z-component of A, B collapses immediately as well(i'm using these letters for both particles and their observers). The 'canonical' solution is then to state that it is not possible to transfer information by measuring a particle and hence this does not violate the axioms of special relativity. I have two problems/questions with this.

1)I am not really convinced that measuring A won't transfer any information to B: it transfers the time of measuring. In a (e.g. double-slit-like) interference experiment, it would be possible to test whether B has already been collapsed at time t' or not. And with a sufficient number of entangled pairs, A could then even send any message to B by using a language such as Morse code.

2)Quantum mechanics has been succesfully unified with special relativity by now into relativistic quantum field theories. Now, one of the main aspects of special relativity is the absence of an absolute notion of simultanity. So if A and B collapse together, in which reference frame is that when A and B have a nonzero relative velocity? Maybe the time-coordinate in the FLRW metric of spacetime?

I'm pretty sure I'm not the first one to which these questions occur. I would expect there can be a rigorous argument why my reasoning in 1) is wrong, I don't think 2) is within reach of experiment, but maybe there are theoretical arguments why one of the frames is the important one?

Physics news on Phys.org
thephystudent said:
1)I am not really convinced that measuring A won't transfer any information to B: it transfers the time of measuring. In a (e.g. double-slit-like) interference experiment, it would be possible to test whether B has already been collapsed at time t' or not. And with a sufficient number of entangled pairs, A could then even send any message to B by using a language such as Morse code.

2)Quantum mechanics has been succesfully unified with special relativity by now into relativistic quantum field theories. Now, one of the main aspects of special relativity is the absence of an absolute notion of simultanity. So if A and B collapse together, in which reference frame is that when A and B have a nonzero relative velocity? Maybe the time-coordinate in the FLRW metric of spacetime?

1) This is incorrect. There is no experiment which can determine the time entanglement ceased.

2) The "time of collapse" (if there even is such a thing) as mentioned cannot be determined, and there is no difference in the observable outcome based on reference frames.

Likes bhobba
DrChinese said:
There is no experiment which can determine the time entanglement ceased.
Thanks for your answer, but can you elaborate a bit why this is true?

For example, if a B-particle moves trough a magnetic field in z-direction and there are as well two horizontal slits at different z-values and the particles are unobserved, B will go trough both of the slits such that enough B's create an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits. When an observation of A already made B collapse to a specific z-component of the spin, all interference is lost for B, it would seem to me? I know this would destroy the particles at the end, but that doesn't seem to be a problem to me.

Last edited:
thephystudent said:
Thanks for your answer, but can you elaborate a bit why this is true?

For example, if a B-particle moves trough a magnetic field in z-direction and there are as well two horizontal slits at different z-values and the particles are unobserved, B will go trough both of the slits such that enough B's create an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits. When an observation of A already made B collapse to a specific z-component of the spin, all interference is lost for B, it would seem to me? I know this would destroy the particles at the end, but that doesn't seem to be a problem to me.
As far as QM is valid there is no experiment that gives different results based on time of measurement on the other side. That conclusion comes from no-communication theorem. It explores exactly that question from perspective of QM formalism.

Likes thephystudent
thephystudent said:

Good thinking! And fairly easy to test this.

However, entangled particles do not behave this way. You can see this in an enlightening article by Anton Zeilinger, p. 290, Figure 2.

Experiment and the foundations of quantum physics

Likes bhobba and thephystudent
thanks, very interesting!

Another way of looking at it:
If all you're doing is looking at a single particle,,,
then there is nothing you can do to tell if that particle is half of an entangled pair or not.

In order to see the entanglement, you would have to get extra outside information, which would have to be transmitted to you.

Likes bhobba
jfizzix said:
Another way of looking at it:
then there is nothing you can do to tell if that particle is half of an entangled pair or not.

In order to see the entanglement, you would have to get extra outside information, which would have to be transmitted to you.

I agree on that one, but if A and B both have 10 000 particles entangled with one-to-one correspondance, B can perform a double slit-experiment on his particles and according to DrChinese's link, interference for B will be lost because of the in-principle possibility for A to perform measurements on her particles, regardless of whether he actually does or not.

DrChinese said:

Seems to confirm that collapse of A cannot be detected by B. But it raises a new question(on which I don't see an answer in the text right away): If A destroys her particles, according to the text, B observes observes interference again. Doesn't this 'inverse-collapse' instantly transmit information from A to B so that B knows what A did?

thephystudent said:
I agree on that one, but if A and B both have 10 000 particles entangled with one-to-one correspondance, B can perform a double slit-experiment on his particles and according to DrChinese's link, interference for B will be lost because of the in-principle possibility for A to perform measurements on her particles, regardless of whether he actually does or not.

Seems to confirm that collapse of A cannot be detected by B. But it raises a new question(on which I don't see an answer in the text right away): If A destroys her particles, according to the text, B observes observes interference again. Doesn't this 'inverse-collapse' instantly transmit information from A to B so that B knows what A did?

Yours is very good thinking on this! This is a somewhat complicated issue. jfizzix is absolutely correct, but then so is my reference. So how to resolve?

The short version: Entangled photons are not coherent. That is also why they do not self interfere in a double slit apparatus (pardon me if this is not the best description of this, someone may be able to say it better than I). If you make them coherent so they self interfere - say by diffracting through a pinhole - they are no longer entangled (because you measured position in the process of creating coherence) and you are back where you started.

Likes dlgoff
DrChinese said:
Yours is very good thinking on this! This is a somewhat complicated issue. jfizzix is absolutely correct, but then so is my reference. So how to resolve?

The short version: Entangled photons are not coherent. That is also why they do not self interfere in a double slit apparatus (pardon me if this is not the best description of this, someone may be able to say it better than I). If you make them coherent so they self interfere - say by diffracting through a pinhole - they are no longer entangled (because you measured position in the process of creating coherence) and you are back where you started.

Thanks for answering but it still sounds a bit vague to me. Maybe coupling of spin and slit(position) by a magnetic field as I described before would spoil the proper symmetrization of the many-particle wavefunction where e.g. if A and B each have one particle the spatial part is symmetric and the spin-part antisymmetric?

Likes thephystudent
jfizzix said:

Don't you think it is likely that every particle is entangled with some other (usually unknown) particle(s)?

I think it is likely that most particles share a minute amount of entanglement with one another, and it may well be possible that every particle in the universe is entangled with every other particle in the universe, however infinitesimal this connection may be.

However...

The only things we can make a decent claim to know are what we can measure, and there is simply no way in the current understanding of physics to tell whether a single particle is entangled with something else just by looking at that single particle.

If you're interested in a more technical explanation, I believe this is known as the no-signaling theorem.

1. What is the EPR paradox?

The EPR paradox is a thought experiment in quantum mechanics that was proposed by Einstein, Podolsky, and Rosen in 1935. It raises questions about the nature of reality and the role of observation in quantum systems.

2. What is the time of collapse in the EPR paradox?

The time of collapse refers to the moment when a quantum system, such as a particle, goes from a state of superposition (existing in multiple states at once) to a definite state. In the EPR paradox, this time of collapse is a key aspect of the thought experiment.

3. How does the EPR paradox relate to entanglement?

The EPR paradox is closely related to the phenomenon of quantum entanglement, where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other(s). In the EPR paradox, the question of whether a particle's state is determined by its own properties or by its entanglement with another particle is central.

4. Can the EPR paradox be resolved?

There is ongoing debate among scientists about whether the EPR paradox can be resolved. Some argue that it can be resolved by accepting certain interpretations of quantum mechanics, while others argue that it reveals fundamental flaws in our understanding of reality and the role of observation.

5. How does the EPR paradox impact our understanding of time?

The EPR paradox raises questions about the nature of time and whether it is a fundamental property of the universe or a human construct. It also challenges our understanding of causality and whether events can have an effect on each other instantaneously, as is suggested by entanglement in the EPR paradox.