Epsilon/Delta Proof With 2 Variables

In summary, the proof for the continuity of f(x,y) at the origin involves using polar coordinates and setting δ=ε to show that |f(x,y)-f(0,0)|<ε.
Gooolati

Homework Statement

Prove:
f(x,y) = [itex]\frac{x(x^{2}-y^{2}}{(x^{2}+y^{2}}[/itex] if (x,y) [itex]\neq[/itex] (0,0)
0 if (x,y) = (0,0)

is continuous at the origin

Homework Equations

[itex]\forall[/itex] [itex]\epsilon[/itex] > 0 [itex]\exists[/itex] [itex]\delta[/itex] > 0 s.t. if |(x,y)| < [itex]\delta[/itex] then |f(x,y)| < [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

(Since we are proving continuity at the origin)

The Attempt at a Solution

|(x,y)| < [itex]\delta[/itex] [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + y[itex]^{2} < \delta^{2}[/itex]

then this means that |x[itex]^{2}[/itex] - y[itex]^{2}[/itex]| < [itex]\delta^{2}[/itex]

so:

f(x,y) < [itex]\frac{x}{x^{2}+y^{2}}[/itex]([itex]\delta^{2}[/itex])

and I feel like I'm close but then I'm stuck! All help appreciated thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Gooolati said:

Homework Statement

Prove:
f(x,y) = [itex]\frac{x(x^{2}-y^{2}}{(x^{2}+y^{2}}[/itex] if (x,y) [itex]\neq[/itex] (0,0)
0 if (x,y) = (0,0)

is continuous at the origin

Homework Equations

[itex]\forall[/itex] [itex]\epsilon[/itex] > 0 [itex]\exists[/itex] [itex]\delta[/itex] > 0 s.t. if |(x,y)| < [itex]\delta[/itex] then |f(x,y)| < [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

(Since we are proving continuity at the origin)

The Attempt at a Solution

|(x,y)| < [itex]\delta[/itex] [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + y[itex]^{2} < \delta^{2}[/itex]

then this means that |x[itex]^{2}[/itex] - y[itex]^{2}[/itex]| < [itex]\delta^{2}[/itex]

so:

f(x,y) < [itex]\frac{x}{x^{2}+y^{2}}[/itex]([itex]\delta^{2}[/itex])

and I feel like I'm close but then I'm stuck! All help appreciated thanks !

Have you tried thinking about it in polar coordinates? It's much easier.

hmm I have never used polar coordinates with an epsilon delta proof before

so x=rcosθ
and y=rsin

so f(x,y) is rcosθ(cos[itex]^{2}[/itex]θ - sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]θ)

and r<[itex]\delta[/itex] and cosθ <= 1

so f(x,y) < [itex]\delta[/itex](cos[itex]^{2}[/itex]θ - sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]θ)

which = [itex]\delta[/itex]cos(2θ) <= [itex]\delta[/itex](1) = [itex]\delta[/itex]

set [itex]\delta[/itex] = [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

does this work?

Gooolati said:
hmm I have never used polar coordinates with an epsilon delta proof before

so x=rcosθ
and y=rsin

so f(x,y) is rcosθ(cos[itex]^{2}[/itex]θ - sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]θ)

and r<[itex]\delta[/itex] and cosθ <= 1

so f(x,y) < [itex]\delta[/itex](cos[itex]^{2}[/itex]θ - sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]θ)

which = [itex]\delta[/itex]cos(2θ) <= [itex]\delta[/itex](1) = [itex]\delta[/itex]

set [itex]\delta[/itex] = [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

does this work?

Sure does. If r<ε then |f(r,θ)-f(0,0)|<ε.

Dick said:
Sure does. If r<ε then |f(r,θ)-f(0,0)|<ε.
Isn't that |f(r,θ)-f(0,θ)| < ε ?

SammyS said:
Isn't that |f(r,θ)-f(0,θ)| < ε ?

Oh, you know what I mean. But I don't see why you'd have to write it that way. f(0,θ)=0 and f(0,0)=0. Same thing. They are both the origin in xy coordinates.

1. What is an Epsilon/Delta Proof with 2 variables?

An Epsilon/Delta Proof with 2 variables is a method used in mathematical analysis to prove the continuity of a function. It involves choosing an arbitrary distance (epsilon) and showing that for any input (delta), the difference between the output values of the function is within that distance.

2. Why is an Epsilon/Delta Proof important?

Epsilon/Delta Proofs are important because they provide a rigorous and systematic way to prove the continuity of a function. This is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to prove many other important theorems.

3. How do you construct an Epsilon/Delta Proof with 2 variables?

To construct an Epsilon/Delta Proof with 2 variables, you start by choosing an arbitrary value for epsilon and then determine the corresponding delta value. This is done by manipulating the given equation or function until you can isolate the delta term. You then show that for any input value within delta distance, the function outputs will be within the chosen epsilon distance.

4. What are the limitations of an Epsilon/Delta Proof with 2 variables?

An Epsilon/Delta Proof with 2 variables can only be used to prove the continuity of a function at a specific point. It cannot be used to prove the continuity of a function over an interval or for a multi-variable function. It also does not provide a complete understanding of the behavior of a function, as it only focuses on continuity.

5. How is an Epsilon/Delta Proof with 2 variables different from a proof with 1 variable?

An Epsilon/Delta Proof with 2 variables is different from a proof with 1 variable because it involves considering two different input values and showing that the function outputs are within a chosen distance from each other. This adds an extra layer of complexity and requires more algebraic manipulation and logical reasoning.