Solved Epsilon-Delta Proof: Is it Coherent?

In summary, the conversation was about a proof for the limit of x^2 as x approaches 2 being equal to 4. The proof involved setting up an epsilon-delta proof, where delta was chosen to be a function of epsilon. The discussion also touched on the importance of using a safeguard in the form of min(1, epsilon/(x+2)) to avoid issues with the upper limit of the inequality. The final proof involved using the triangle inequality and choosing a delta value of min(epsilon/5) to complete the proof.
razored
[SOLVED] Epsilon Delta Proof

Does this limit proof make total sense? Given : "Show that [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 2} x^{2} = 4[/tex]."

My attempt at it :[tex]0<|x^{2}-4|<\epsilon[/tex] which can also be written as [tex]0<|(x-2)(x+2)|<\epsilon[/tex].
[tex]0<|x-2|<\delta[/tex] where [tex]\delta > 0[/tex]. It appears that [tex]\delta = \frac {\epsilon}{x+2}[/tex] which is the conversion factor. Which then by substitution, [tex]0<|x-2|<\frac {\epsilon}{x+2}[/tex].

Here is the actual proof:
Choose [tex]\delta = \frac {\epsilon}{x+2}[/tex], given [tex]epsilon > 0[/tex] then if [tex]0<|x-2|<\frac {\epsilon}{x+2}[/tex] then [tex]0<|(x-2)(x+2)|<\delta[/tex].

Is this explanation coherent? I actually have a slight idea of what I wrote. Hopefully I am on the right path.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One of the more rigorous mathematicians here may have more to say about this then I will, but I think you have the gist of it. The one safeguard that is imposed in epsilon-delta proofs when you have a non-constant upper limit on the inequality is to make that limit

min ( 1 , [tex]\frac {\epsilon}{x+2}[/tex] ) ,

since the ratio can blow up at x = -2 and we've placed no restriction on the permitted values of x...

dynamicsolo said:
One of the more rigorous mathematicians here may have more to say about this then I will, but I think you have the gist of it. The one safeguard that is imposed in epsilon-delta proofs when you have a non-constant upper limit on the inequality is to make that limit

min ( 1 , [tex]\frac {\epsilon}{x+2}[/tex] ) ,

since the ratio can blow up at x = -2 and we've placed no restriction on the permitted values of x...

I can't believe I forgot to mention that!

When you are doing [tex]\epsilon-\delta [/tex] proofs, you have to say define what epsilon and delta are i.e. [tex]\forall \epsilon >0, \exists \delta[/tex] such that etc.

Your [itex] \delta [/itex] should not depend on [itex] x [/itex]. As the post above mentions, the logic goes: for all [itex] \epsilon > 0 [/itex] there exists [itex] \delta > 0 [/itex] such that if [itex] |x-2| < \delta[/itex] then [itex] |x^2 - 4| < \epsilon [/itex]. Delta can, however, depend on epsilon. If |x-2| is bounded by [itex] \delta < 1 [/itex], then what is a bound on |x+2|?

eok20 said:
Your [itex] \delta [/itex] should not depend on [itex] x [/itex].

Sorry -- quite so! It's been a while since I've looked at one of these proofs and I'm writing from someplace I don't have my books handy...

My second attempt : Given any [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex], choose [tex]\delta = \frac {\epsilon} {|x+2|} (x\neq -2)[/tex] where [tex]\delta > 0[/tex], then [tex]|x-2||x+2|<\epsilon[/tex] whenever [tex]|x-2|<\delta = \frac {\epsilon} {|x+2|}[/tex].

Is this right?

Last edited:
In my revision, I've been told that I did not prove anything. Is this a complete proof?

Let [tex]f(x)=x^2[/tex], [tex]x_{0}=2[/tex]. [tex]\forall \epsilon>0,\exists \delta>0[/tex] such that [tex]|x^2-4|<\epsilon[/tex], [tex]|x-2|<\delta[/tex]
Let [tex]\delta = \frac{\epsilon}{x+2}[/tex]
... continue from here. "..." [tex]<\epsilon[/tex]

OR let [tex]\delta=min\{ 1,\frac{\epsilon}{5} \}[/tex] and use the triangle inequality.
QED

Last edited:
Substituting [tex]\delta = \frac {\epsilon}{x+2}[/tex] into [tex]|x-2|<\delta[/tex], we see that.. it works out? I do not know what to do from here.

Nor do I know the min way.

Continue from the proof,
Let [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex], let [tex]\delta = min\{\frac{\epsilon}{5}\} [/tex]

Assume that [tex]|x-2|<\delta[/tex]

By Triangle inequality,
[tex]|x^2-4|=|(x+2)(x-2)|\leq |x+2||x-2|[/tex]

Since [tex]|x-2|<\delta[/tex], then [tex]|x-2|<\epsilon/5[/tex]

Then for 0<x<3 such that [tex]|x+2|=5[/tex] **note: this is why you get the 5 as the denominator under epsilon.

Thus, [tex]|x^2-4|\leq |x+2||x-2|<5*\frac{\epsilon}{5}=\epsilon[/tex] QED

1. What is a solved epsilon-delta proof?

A solved epsilon-delta proof is a type of mathematical proof used to prove the limit of a function. It involves using the concepts of epsilon and delta to show that the function's output gets closer and closer to a specific value as the input approaches a certain value.

2. What is the purpose of a solved epsilon-delta proof?

The purpose of a solved epsilon-delta proof is to provide a rigorous and formal way of proving the limit of a function. It is commonly used in calculus and analysis to prove the convergence or divergence of a sequence or series.

3. How do you construct a solved epsilon-delta proof?

To construct a solved epsilon-delta proof, you must first identify the value that the function is approaching as the input approaches a certain value. Then, you choose an arbitrarily small value of epsilon and find a corresponding value of delta that will ensure that the distance between the function's output and the limit value is less than epsilon for all inputs within a certain range of the chosen value.

4. What are the key components of a solved epsilon-delta proof?

The key components of a solved epsilon-delta proof include the definition of a limit, the use of epsilon and delta to show the closeness of the function's output to the limit value, and the use of inequalities and algebraic manipulations to find the appropriate values of epsilon and delta.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in a solved epsilon-delta proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a solved epsilon-delta proof include using a fixed value of epsilon instead of choosing an arbitrarily small value, incorrectly manipulating the inequalities to find delta, and not considering the behavior of the function for inputs outside of the chosen range.