Prove Limit Exists: \lim_{x\rightarrow 1}3x-1=2

• Thread starter razored
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation is about proving the existence of a limit by finding a suitable value for delta. The process involves choosing an arbitrary value for epsilon and then calculating delta using the definition of a limit. This is known as a synthetic proof, where the conclusion is assumed and steps are worked back to the hypotheses. However, to make it a valid proof, the steps need to be reversed and written out clearly.
razored
Prove that the limit exists :[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1} 3x -1 =2[/tex]

Here is the work to find [tex]\delta[/tex].
[tex]|3x-3|<\epsilon[/tex] Substitution
[tex]3|x-1|<\epsilon[/tex]
[tex]|x-1|<\frac{\epsilon}{3}[/tex]
[tex]0<|x-1|<\delta [/tex] Appears that epsilon is equal to delta.
[tex]\delta = \frac{\epsilon}{3}[/tex]
I have gotten here thus far, now what? :uhh: What I have proved? The only thing I have discovered that delta is simply equal to epsilon.
I don't understand.
I also understand that you begin the proof like this:
Given [tex]\epsilon> 0[/tex], choose [tex]\delta = \frac_{\epsilon}{3}[/tex]
Now what from here as well?

Thanks beforehand.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, let me remark that you derived [itex]\delta = \epsilon / 3[/itex] and then proceed to say that "I have discovered that delta is simply equal to epsilon." What you have discovered, is that if you take delta to be equal to epsilon divided by three (or anything smaller will do) then the definition of limit will be satisfied.

You know the definition of the limit:
[tex]\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = L[/tex] means that: for each [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there is a [itex]\delta = \delta(\epsilon) > 0[/itex] such that [itex]|f(x) - L| < \epsilon[/itex] whenever [itex]|x - a| < \delta[/itex].

In general, the proof goes like this:
Let/choose [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] (arbitrarily). Define [itex]\delta = \cdots[/itex] and suppose [itex]|x - a| < \delta[/itex]. Then by some sequence of inequalities, we show that [itex]|f(x) - L| < \epsilon[/itex].

Now compare this to the definition and see if you understand the structure of the proof. Next remark is, that to actually give such a proof, you have to know what [itex]\delta[/itex] is. That's why you always start on a scrap piece of paper to calculate this value for any given value of [itex]\epsilon[/itex], which is what you've just done. Now all you have to do is write down the formal prove as I gave it above, substituting the correct values (basically, the proof is what you wrote down reversed).

What uou have done is sometimes referred to as "synthetic" proof. You start from the conclusion you want to prove and work back to the hypotheses. That, of course, is NOT a valid proof- you can't start by assuming the conclusion. But if everystep is "reversible" then you just need to reverse everything to get a valid proof. As long as it is clear that every step is reversible it is not, strictly, necessary to write out the "reverse". Many textbooks do exactly what you did- show HOW to find deleta for a given epsilon proves that such a delta exists.

1. How do you prove the existence of a limit?

To prove the existence of a limit, you must show that the function approaches a single finite value as the input variable approaches a specific value. In this case, we are trying to prove that as x approaches 1, the function 3x-1 approaches 2.

2. What is the definition of a limit?

The formal definition of a limit is: for a function f(x), as x approaches a specific value, L, the limit of f(x) is equal to L if for any positive number ε, there exists a corresponding positive number δ such that whenever the distance between x and L is less than δ, the distance between f(x) and L is less than ε.

3. What are the steps to prove the existence of a limit?

The steps to prove the existence of a limit include: first, stating the given limit statement; then, simplifying the function using algebraic methods; next, setting up an ε-δ proof by assuming δ>0 and using algebra to find a relationship between x and ε; finally, proving that the relationship between x and ε holds true for all x values within δ distance from the limit value.

4. Can you use the Squeeze Theorem to prove the existence of a limit?

Yes, the Squeeze Theorem can be used to prove the existence of a limit. This theorem states that if two functions, g(x) and h(x), have the same limit at a given point and f(x) is squeezed between g(x) and h(x) for all x values near the given point, then f(x) also has the same limit at that point.

5. What is the significance of proving the existence of a limit?

Proving the existence of a limit is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function near a specific point. It also allows us to make predictions about the value of the function at that point, which can be useful in real-world applications. Additionally, proving the existence of a limit is a fundamental concept in calculus and is necessary for more advanced mathematical concepts such as derivatives and integrals.