Epsilon proof and recursive sequences

In summary, the conversation is about an individual's curiosity regarding ε, N proofs for recursively defined sequences and their search for resources and insights. They discuss the concept of cobwebbing and the possibility of solving for a sequence explicitly to find the limit. The individual also brings up the challenge of using a traditional epsilon proof for a recursively defined sequence and asks for guidance on how to find N for a given epsilon. They use the example of the nested radical sequence to illustrate their question.
dustbin
Hi,

I am wondering how one would go about an ε, N proof for a recursively defined sequence. Can anyone direct me to some reading or would like to provide insights of their own? This isn't for a homework problem... just general curiosity which I could not satisfy via search!

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on the sequence, you may be able to solve for it explicitly and then take the limit as usual. What sequence are you working with, exactly?

I'm not working on any sequence in particular, but I started wondering about it while doing something with infinitely nested radicals. I've proven the limit, convergence, etc., of recursive sequences, including nested radicals. I'm wondering if there is a way of doing a traditional epsilon proof using the definition of a convergent sequence. How do you go about finding an n>N such that |a_n - L | < ε? This confuses me because a_n is given recursively...

Thank you for the links on cobwebbing! That looks interesting and I have never heard of it before.

To maybe clarify a bit: I am suggesting that the limit value is already known (or at least the suspected value). Given an ε>0, how do I find N such that |a_n - L | < ε whenever n>N.

For instance, if given the sequence x_1 = 1 and x_(n+1)= sqrt(1+x_n)... yielding sqrt(1+sqrt(1+sqrt(1+...))) which has the limit, if I remember correctly, value being the golden ratio.

Related to Epsilon proof and recursive sequences

1. What is an epsilon proof?

An epsilon proof is a type of mathematical proof that involves showing that a statement is true by choosing a small value (epsilon) and demonstrating that the statement holds for all values smaller than epsilon. It is commonly used in analysis and real analysis to prove the convergence of a sequence or series.

2. How is an epsilon proof used in recursive sequences?

Epsilon proofs can be used to show that a recursive sequence converges to a certain limit. The proof involves choosing an epsilon value and demonstrating that the difference between the nth term of the sequence and the limit is smaller than epsilon for all n greater than some value. This shows that the sequence gets closer and closer to the limit as n increases, and therefore, the sequence converges.

3. What is the importance of epsilon proofs in mathematics?

Epsilon proofs are important in mathematics because they provide a rigorous and formal way of proving the convergence of a sequence or series. They also allow mathematicians to manipulate and analyze infinite quantities in a finite way, making it possible to study and understand complicated mathematical concepts.

4. Are there any limitations to using epsilon proofs?

While epsilon proofs are a powerful tool in mathematical analysis, they do have some limitations. For example, they may not be able to prove convergence for all types of sequences, and they may require a deep understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts in order to construct a valid proof.

5. How can I improve my understanding of epsilon proofs and recursive sequences?

To improve your understanding of epsilon proofs and recursive sequences, it is important to practice solving problems and proofs related to these concepts. You can also read textbooks and attend lectures or online courses to deepen your knowledge. Additionally, seeking help from a math tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial in improving your understanding.