Equal Commutators: What Do They Tell Us?

• Thread starter daudaudaudau
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutators
In summary, in this conversation, the topic of commutators and their significance in quantum mechanics is discussed. The value of the commutator [Q,P]=i\hbar is important because it leads to expected results when taking the hermitian conjugate of operators. If the commutator had a different value, it could lead to contradictions. The conversation also touches on the relationship between Hamiltonians with the same commutator and the possibility of building quantum mechanics solely on commutators.
daudaudaudau
Hi.

Cohen-Tannoudji has this section in his quantum mechanics book where he derives a bunch of relations which are true for operators having the commutation relation [itex][Q,P]=i\hbar[/itex]. Is there any special significance to this value of a commutator? Would things be much different if it had the value 1 ?

Also, if we have two sets of operators with the same commutator, i.e. [itex][x,p]=[Q,P]=i\hbar[/itex], what does this tell us about the relations between the operators, if anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the hermitian conjugate of each side. If the operators are Hermitian, then you get
[P,Q] = -ih = -[Q,P], which is exactly what you expect based on the definition of a commutator. If you had [Q,P] = 1, then this process would lead to a contradiction if your operators are Hermitian.

Ah, so that's why it's important that it's imaginary! Great. What about sets of operators with the same commutator? I know that if we have two Hamiltonians of the same form, i.e.
[tex]
H=a^{\dagger} a+\frac{1}{2}
[/tex]
[tex]
H=b^{\dagger} b+\frac{1}{2}
[/tex]

and [itex][a^{\dagger},a]=[b^{\dagger},b][/itex] then the Hamiltonians will have the same eigenvalues. Is there more we can say? I've heard that all of quantum mechanics can be based on commutators...

I'm not too sure what we can say about sets of operators with the same commutator... hopefully someone else can help you out.

Related to Equal Commutators: What Do They Tell Us?

1. What are equal commutators and how are they defined?

Equal commutators are mathematical expressions that involve two or more elements that are equal to each other. They are defined as elements that can be rearranged without changing the value of the expression. In other words, the order of the elements does not affect the result.

2. What do equal commutators tell us about a mathematical system?

Equal commutators are important in understanding the structure and properties of a mathematical system. They can provide information about the symmetry and invariance of the system, as well as the relationships between different elements.

3. How are equal commutators used in physics?

In physics, equal commutators are used to describe the behavior of physical systems and the interactions between particles. They are important in quantum mechanics and other areas of physics where the commutativity of operators is crucial.

4. Can equal commutators be used to solve equations?

Yes, equal commutators can be used to solve equations in certain cases. For example, in the study of Lie algebras, equal commutators are used to find solutions to systems of linear equations.

5. Are there any practical applications of equal commutators?

Equal commutators have a wide range of practical applications in fields such as physics, mathematics, and engineering. They are used in the development of quantum computers, in the study of symmetry and group theory, and in the analysis of physical systems.