Equality of integrals VS equality of integrands

• I
  • Thread starter Ahmed Mehedi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, it can be proven using calculus of variation that if two continuous functions are different at a single point, then they differ on an interval.
Ahmed Mehedi
Does $$\int_{t=0}^{\infty}f(t)dt=\int_{t=0}^{\infty}g(t)dt$$ imply $$f(t)=g(t)$$ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahmed Mehedi said:
Does $$\int_{t=0}^{\infty}f(t)dt=\int_{t=0}^{\infty}g(t)dt$$ imply $$f(t)=g(t)$$ ?
How could that possibly be true?

All you need is that the area under the curve from ##0## to ##\infty## is the same. There are a lot of different functions that satisfy this. E.g.

$$
f(x) = \begin{cases}
0, & x< 0 \\
1, & 0\leq x\leq 1 \\
0, & 1< x
\end{cases}$$ and $$
g(x) = \begin{cases}
0, & x< 1 \\
1, & 1\leq x\leq 2 \\
0, & 2< x
\end{cases}$$

Likes Delta2, member 587159, Ahmed Mehedi and 1 other person
@PeroK @dRic2
PeroK said:
How could that possibly be true?
Is it possible to prove the equality using calculus of variation ... ? Or may be a special case of it ... ? I am not sure though ...

This is false for many different reasons.

For example @etotheipi gave two different functions.

However, you can also do the following: Consider an integrable function ##f## and change its value in one (or finitely many) points. Let the so obtained be function be ##g##. Then clearly ##f\neq g## yet ##\int f = \int g##.

For the advanced reader, you are asking if
$$R[0,\infty[ \to \mathbb{R}: f \mapsto \int_{0}^\infty f$$
is injective. This is a linear functional on the space of Riemann-integrable functions on ##[0, \infty[##, and a linear functional on an infinite dimensional vector space is never injective.

Note that some partial results do hold:

(1) If ##f \geq 0## and ##\int f = 0## then ##f = 0## almost everywhere.

(2) If ##f \geq 0## and ##f## is continuous with ##\int f =0##, then ##f=0## (everywhere).

Likes PeroK, etotheipi and Ahmed Mehedi
Ahmed Mehedi said:
@PeroK @dRic2

Is it possible to prove the equality using calculus of variation ... ? Or may be a special case of it ... ? I am not sure though ...
Are you really asking that if:
$$\int_{t=0}^{\infty}f(t)dt= 0$$
Then ##f(t) = 0## everywhere?

Likes etotheipi
There are some specific and limited circumstances under which you can equate certain integrands (I don't know whether it's totally rigorous, so perhaps @PeroK or @Math_QED can advise...). For instance, consider the following statement of Gauss' Law: $$\frac{Q}{\epsilon_0} = \int_V \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0} \, dV = \oint_S \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{S} = \int_V \nabla \cdot \vec{E} \, dV $$ $$\int_V \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0} \, dV = \int_V \nabla \cdot \vec{E} \, dV $$ Since this holds for any domain ##V##, you may deduce ##\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}##.

I would suspect that if ##\int_{a}^{b}f(t)dt=\int_{a}^{b}g(t)dt## for all possible ##a, b##, then you would be able to say ##f(t) = g(t)##. But that's quite different to having fixed limits.

Likes Delta2, Ahmed Mehedi and PeroK
etotheipi said:
I would suspect that if ##\int_{a}^{b}f(t)dt=\int_{a}^{b}g(t)dt## for all possible ##a, b##, then you would be able to say ##f(t) = g(t)##. But that's quite different to having fixed limits.

If two continuous functions different at a single point, then they differ on an interval. Moreover, if ##f(x_0) > g(x_0)##, then ##f(x) > g(x)## on some interval containing ##x_0##.

This is needed to extract the Euler-Lagrange equations from the calculus of variations.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd and etotheipi
etotheipi said:

This is not quite true (it's true if you ask that ##f,g## are continuous). If they are only Riemann-integrable, best you can get is that they are equal almost everywhere.

Riemann-integral does not see the behaviour at single points, so you can take the example I made earlier in post #6 to get ##\int_a^b f = \int_a^b g## for all ##a,b## yet ##f \neq g##.

• Informative
Likes Delta2 and etotheipi
PeroK said:
Are you really asking that if:
$$\int_{t=0}^{\infty}f(t)dt= 0$$
Then ##f(t) = 0## everywhere?

I am very sorry that I can not make my message clear. To be specific my question goes as follows:

Let us consider the following Lagrangian in the context of an optimization problem:

$$L=B\int_{t=0}^{\infty}e^{-\beta t}\frac{c(t)^{1-\theta}}{1-\theta}dt+\lambda \left[ k(0)+\int_{t=0}^{\infty} e^{-R(t)}e^{(n+g)t}w(t)dt - \int_{t=0}^{\infty} e^{-R(t)}e^{(n+g)t}c(t)dt \right]$$

After taking the first partial derivative of the above Lagrangian with respect to c(t) (and setting it to zero as first order optimality condition) it is written that

$$Be^{-\beta t} c(t)^{-\theta}-\lambda e^{-R(t)}e^{(n+g)t}=0$$

It seems that they take the first partial derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to c(t) and simply ignore the dt from both sides.

How the second line follows from the first line? They said it can be proved using calculus of variation. But, how can I prove it?

• Wow
Likes PeroK
Ahmed Mehedi said:
I am very sorry that I can not make my message clear. To be specific my question goes as follows:

Let us consider the following Lagrangian in the context of an optimization problem:

$$L=B\int_{t=0}^{\infty}e^{-\beta t}\frac{c(t)^{1-\theta}}{1-\theta}dt+\lambda \left[ k(0)+\int_{t=0}^{\infty} e^{-R(t)}e^{(n+g)t}w(t)dt - \int_{t=0}^{\infty} e^{-R(t)}e^{(n+g)t}c(t)dt \right]$$

After taking the first partial derivative of the above Lagrangian with respect to c(t) (and setting it to zero as first order optimality condition) it is written that

$$Be^{-\beta t} c(t)^{-\theta}-\lambda e^{-R(t)}e^{(n+g)t}=0$$

It seems that they take the first partial derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to c(t) and simply ignore the dt from both sides.

How the second line follows from the first line? They said it can be proved using calculus of variation. But, how can I prove it?

@Math_QED @etotheipi

That's a functional derivative, not a partial derivative. It's an other story.

If you want a quick recipe, a functional derivative like ##\frac {\delta L} {\delta g}## where ##L =\int h[g]## can be evaluated by trowing away the integral and calculating ##\frac {\partial h[g]} {\partial g}##. Ok don't hate me for this comment.

Likes Ahmed Mehedi
dRic2 said:
That's a functional derivative, not a partial derivative. It's an other story.

If you want a quick recipe, a functional derivative like ##\frac {\delta L} {\delta g}## where ##L =\int h[g]## can be evaluated by trowing away the integral and calculating ##\frac {\partial h[g]} {\partial g}##. Ok don't hate me for this comment.

May be you are right! Perhaps they were talking about functional derivative and not the partial one. Can you provide me any good quick read regarding functional derivatives?

LOL this question took a turn...

I don't know if I can help from here on, I've only ever skimmed through the first chapter of a calculus of variations textbook.

Likes Ahmed Mehedi and dRic2
etotheipi said:
LOL this question took a turn...

I don't know if I can help from here on, I've only ever skimmed through the first chapter of a calculus of variations textbook.

HAHA ... I am yet to see the textbook of calculus of variation ... Let alone chapter one ...

Ahmed Mehedi said:
Can you provide me any good quick read regarding functional derivatives?
Sorry, I'm not very familiar with functional derivatives. I just worked out some tricks to evaluate them in case of need. All I know comes from pag 54-56 from Lanczos' book on analytical mechanics and from 5 pages of notes by a professor of mine.

Likes Ahmed Mehedi
Given
$$\int_{0}^{\infty} f(t) dt = \int_{0}^{\infty} g(t) dt$$ the most we can get is :
$$
\int_{0}^{\infty} f(t) dt - \int_{0}^{\infty} g(t) dt = 0 $$
$$\lim_{x\to \infty} \int_{0}^{x} \left[f(t) -g(t) \right] dt = 0 $$
$$\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{d}{dx} \int_{0}^{x} \left[f(t) - g(t) \right] = 0$$
$$\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x) - g(x) = 0$$
That is to say, functions ##f## and ##g## converge to each other as they approach to infinity.

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes Delta2, member 587159, PeroK and 2 others
Adesh said:
Given
$$\int_{0}^{\infty} f(t) dt = \int_{0}^{\infty} g(t) dt$$ the most we can get is :
$$
That is to say, functions ##f## and ##g## converge to each other as they approach to infinity.

A good interpretation!

Likes Adesh
Adesh said:
Given
$$

This is false. Consider ##f=0## and $$g(x) = \begin{cases}1 \quad x \in \mathbb{N} \\ 0 \quad x \notin \mathbb{N}\end{cases}$$
Then $$\int_0^\infty f = 0 = \int_0^\infty g$$ yet $$\lim_{x \to \infty}[ f(x)-g(x)] = -\lim_{x \to \infty} g(x) $$ does not exist.

The flaw happens when you introduce the derivative.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Likes etotheipi
Math_QED said:
This is false. Consider ##f=0## and $$g(x) = \begin{cases}1 \quad x \in \mathbb{N} \\ 0 \quad x \notin \mathbb{N}\end{cases}$$
Then $$\int_0^\infty f = 0 = \int_0^\infty g$$ yet $$\lim_{x \to \infty}[ f(x)-g(x)] = -\lim_{x \to \infty} g(x) $$ does not exist.

The flaw happens when you introduce the derivative.
I assumed the functions to be continuous.

Adesh said:

Even then you must justify switching the limits involved, which you didn't. I'm pretty sure the statement is even false for continuous functions.

Likes etotheipi
Adesh said:
It's still false. There are continuous functions that do not converge to ##0## as ##t \rightarrow \infty## yet the integral exists.

It's a good exercise to find one.

Likes Infrared and member 587159
Math_QED said:
Even then you must justify switching the limits involved, which you didn't. I'm pretty sure the statement is even false for continuous functions.
We can do the switching when they are monotone.

Adesh said:
We can do the switching when they are monotone.

If you keep throwing in extra assumptions, eventually you will be right yes...

PeroK said:
There are continuous functions that do not converge to 0 as t→∞ yet the integral exists.
I didn’t say they converge to zero, I said they get closer and closer to each other as ##x## goes to ##\infty##.

Adesh said:
I didn’t say they converge to zero, I said they get closer and closer to each other as ##x## goes to ##\infty##.
Which is false. The difference of the functions need not converge to ##0##.

Note that if the integral exists and the limit exists, then the limit must be zero. That's true.

PeroK said:
Which is false. The difference of the functions need not converge to ##0##.
In this case they are coming out be zero, :biggrin: .

@Infrared Did you study from Rudin by yourself? I mean self-study or was your Univeristy good enough from where you can learned it? (Because as far as universities that I know, you cannot learn subjects which require time, like analysis, because teachers are not very interested in teaching).

Adesh said:
@Infrared Did you study from Rudin by yourself? I mean self-study or was your Univeristy good enough from where you can learned it? (Because as far as universities that I know, you cannot learn subjects which require time, like analysis, because teachers are not very interested in teaching).

Teachers are only guides. At university, the student is the one that must put in the effort. There are plenty of people that succesfully learned analysis in university, so I'm not sure where your claim comes from.

AFAIK there are no problems up to here: $$\frac{d}{dx} \lim_{x \to \infty} \int_{0}^{x} \left[f(t) - g(t) \right] = 0$$ but yes I don't think you can generally interchange those limits to get ##\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{d}{dx} \int_{0}^{x} \left[f(t) - g(t) \right] = 0##

Likes Delta2
Math_QED said:
so I'm not sure where your claim comes from.
People whom I know (in real life) learned by themselves, teachers only graded them.

Adesh said:
People whom I know (in real life) learned by themselves, teachers only graded them.

My opinion is that most of mathematics is self-study. The professor is just there to motivate the concepts and give a first exposure, or to ask questions to.

Math_QED said:
My opinion is that most of mathematics is self-study. The professor is just there to motivate the concepts and give a first exposure, or to ask questions to.
Then what does it mean when so many people say “Rudin is not good for self-study” ?

Adesh said:
Then what does it mean when so many people say “Rudin is not good for self-study” ?

It means that it is a bad book to learn the material from, with which I agree. There are much better self-study books out there.

Likes Adesh
<h2>1. What is the difference between equality of integrals and equality of integrands?</h2><p>The equality of integrals means that two integrals have the same value, while equality of integrands means that the functions being integrated are equal. In other words, equality of integrals relates to the result, while equality of integrands relates to the process.</p><h2>2. Can two integrals with different integrands have the same value?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible for two integrals with different integrands to have the same value. This is because the value of an integral is dependent on the limits of integration and not just the integrand itself.</p><h2>3. How do you determine if two integrands are equal?</h2><p>To determine if two integrands are equal, you can use algebraic manipulation or substitution to simplify the expressions and see if they are identical. You can also graph the two functions to visually compare them.</p><h2>4. Is equality of integrands necessary for equality of integrals?</h2><p>No, equality of integrands is not necessary for equality of integrals. As long as the limits of integration and the function being integrated are the same, the integrals will have the same value.</p><h2>5. What are some applications of understanding the difference between equality of integrals and equality of integrands?</h2><p>Understanding the difference between equality of integrals and equality of integrands is important in calculus and other areas of mathematics. It can also be useful in physics and engineering, where integrals are used to solve problems related to motion, work, and other physical quantities.</p>

1. What is the difference between equality of integrals and equality of integrands?

The equality of integrals means that two integrals have the same value, while equality of integrands means that the functions being integrated are equal. In other words, equality of integrals relates to the result, while equality of integrands relates to the process.

2. Can two integrals with different integrands have the same value?

Yes, it is possible for two integrals with different integrands to have the same value. This is because the value of an integral is dependent on the limits of integration and not just the integrand itself.

3. How do you determine if two integrands are equal?

To determine if two integrands are equal, you can use algebraic manipulation or substitution to simplify the expressions and see if they are identical. You can also graph the two functions to visually compare them.

4. Is equality of integrands necessary for equality of integrals?

No, equality of integrands is not necessary for equality of integrals. As long as the limits of integration and the function being integrated are the same, the integrals will have the same value.

5. What are some applications of understanding the difference between equality of integrals and equality of integrands?

Understanding the difference between equality of integrals and equality of integrands is important in calculus and other areas of mathematics. It can also be useful in physics and engineering, where integrals are used to solve problems related to motion, work, and other physical quantities.