1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation about polynomials that implies polynomials are zero

1. Dec 25, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone,

I have to demonsrate that for every real polynomial, P Q and R, I have :

P²=X(Q²+R²) ==imply==> P=Q=R=0

Using degrees, we can easily demonsrate the above. However, I'm looking for another way, without using that.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2008 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: polynomials

What is X? :confused:

4. Dec 25, 2008 #3

X is the variable ! We can rewrite the problem this way :
    if P(X), Q(X) and R(X) belongs to R[X], then writing P²(X) = X(Q²(X) + R²(X)) means P(X)=Q(X)=R(X)=0

Someone adviced me to start with demonstrating that constant coefficients are equal to 0 ? :s

5. Dec 25, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem still makes no sense. Surely you don't mean "for every real polynomial, P Q and R" and then say "P= Q= R= 0".

Suppose Q= R= x and P= 2x3. Does that contradict what you are trying to prove? Are you assuming that P, Q, and R are have the same degree?

6. Dec 25, 2008 #5

My bad ! Here's the exact question :
    "Demonstrate that if P, Q, and R belong to R[X], therefore P² - XQ² = XR² imply that P=Q=R=0"

Big logic mistake in my first post -.- sorry

7. Dec 26, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think the "degree argument" you mentioned is still the simplest and best way to go. If n is the higher degree of Q and R, then the degree of xQ2+ R2 is 2n+ 1 so the degree of P would have to be (2n+1)/2, not an integer.

8. Dec 26, 2008 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, [itex]f(x)^2 \geq 0[/itex] for every real x....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?