Equation for momentum with headwind

• Thread starter susiehk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the goal of the homework is to develop equations that will guide your thinking when solving problems. The truck's momentum is determined by its mass multiplied by its velocity. The wind has mass and has momentum given that it doesn't have a physical weight.
susiehk

Homework Statement

I'm working on an assignment where I need to develop an equation for the momentum of a truck of mass m moving at speed v into a headwind of speed V. Road temperature is T. The goal of this problem is for me to learn to use equations to guide my thinking.

Homework Equations

p = mv
Ft = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

Ah, I'm stuck not knowing how to handle the headwind.

Physics news on Phys.org
ƩF=dp/dt
... so what happens as the truck barrels forward - are you imagining a constant speed or accelerating?
What does the truck to to the air and how does that affect the truck?

Simon Bridge said:
ƩF=dp/dt
... so what happens as the truck barrels forward - are you imagining a constant speed or accelerating?
What does the truck to to the air and how does that affect the truck?

Thanks Simon. Yes, constant speed until it hits the headwind.

OK - so the net force is the push from the wind?
How does the wind push on the truck?

Simon Bridge said:
OK - so the net force is the push from the wind?
How does the wind push on the truck?

I hadn't thought of the wind as a force since the problem was defining truck speed and wind speed. Hmm...

The wind is pushing head on in the opposite direction the truck is driving (if truck is driving north, wind is pushing south, for example).

I'm trying to use equations to guide my thinking. So, if the truck's momentum is mv (mass of truck x truck's velocity), can the wind have momentum given that it doesn't have mass (kg). In a way this is similar to a collision problem, but the wind has no mass, only velocity.

Thanks again!

Of course the wind has mass - air is made up of matter.
Now you can think in terms of collisions: every second, the truck gets hit by a volume of air that depends on the speed of the wind and the speed of the truck and something else. Knowing the local temperature, you can find the (approximate) mass-density of the air. You'll have to use the equations to guide your assumptions.

You have to use the equations ... so I think that is as far as I can go.
When you are done thinking about conservation of momentum, you could have a look at conservation of energy.

Simon Bridge said:
Of course the wind has mass - air is made up of matter.
Now you can think in terms of collisions: every second, the truck gets hit by a volume of air that depends on the speed of the wind and the speed of the truck and something else. Knowing the local temperature, you can find the (approximate) mass-density of the air. You'll have to use the equations to guide your assumptions.

You have to use the equations ... so I think that is as far as I can go.
When you are done thinking about conservation of momentum, you could have a look at conservation of energy.

Thank you again, have a great evening.

FAQ: Equation for momentum with headwind

1. What is the equation for momentum with headwind?

The equation for momentum with headwind is p = m * (v + vw), where p is momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and vw is the velocity of the headwind.

2. How does headwind affect momentum?

Headwind decreases the overall momentum of an object by reducing its velocity. This is because the headwind acts as a force in the opposite direction of the object's motion, slowing it down.

3. Can you explain the concept of momentum with headwind?

Momentum with headwind is a measure of the amount of motion an object has while also taking into account the opposing force of a headwind. It is calculated by multiplying the object's mass by its velocity, and adding the velocity of the headwind to the equation.

4. What is the unit of measurement for momentum with headwind?

The unit of measurement for momentum with headwind is kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

5. How can the equation for momentum with headwind be applied in real-life situations?

The equation for momentum with headwind can be used in various real-life situations, such as calculating the momentum of a moving vehicle that is facing headwind or determining the force required to counteract the effects of headwind on an airplane's flight path. It can also be applied in sports, such as calculating the momentum of a football player running against a headwind.