1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of 3d vector question

1. Dec 27, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find an equation of the line through the point A (4,5,5) which meets the line (x-11)/3 = (y+8)/-1 = z-4 at right angles.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

well i know that the direction of the given line is d(3,-1,1) and the original line crosses through the point (11,-8,4)

The direction of the new line must be able to dot with the old line to get 0 (thus right angles).

I dont know how to find a direction that i know will pass through A.

Help or hint please

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2006 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can write any point P on the given line in parametric form, e.g. (x = t, y = a function of t, z = another function of t). Then you can write the direction of AP in terms of t.

4. Dec 28, 2006 #3
    So, you have point A and point P (P on the line). what can you do with the orthogonal projection of AP onto the given line? from there, how can you find a vector that points from the line to A and that is orthogonal to <3,-1,1> ?

5. Dec 28, 2006 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

There are two common ways to write a vector equation of a line:

i. Given two points, say P and Q, an equation of the line through P and Q (in that order as t ranges over [0,1]) is given by

[tex]\vec{r}(t)=\vec{Q}t+\vec{P}(1-t)[/tex] or [tex]\vec{r}(t)=\vec{P}+\left(\vec{Q}-\vec{P}\right) t [/tex]​

notice that [tex]\vec{Q}-\vec{P}[/tex] is a vector in the direction of the line, hence

ii. Given a point and a vector in the direction of a line, say point P and vector [tex]\vec{v}[/tex], we have an equation of the line through P and parallel to [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] is given by

[tex]\vec{r}(t)=\vec{P}+\vec{v} t [/tex]​

6. Dec 28, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Any vector, <a,b,c>, perpendicular to <3, -1, 1> must satisfy 3a-b+ c= 0 or c= b- 3a. Such a line passing through (4, 5, 5) must be of the form (x-4)/a= (y- 5)/b= (z-5)/(b- 3a). Now, what are the conditions on a and b, in order to ensure that (x-4)/a= (y- 5)/b= (z-5)/(b- 3a) intersects (x-11)/3 = (y+8)/-1 = z-4 ?

7. Jan 1, 2007 #6
    couple questions

Any vector, <a,b,c>, perpendicular to <3, -1, 1> must satisfy 3a-b+ c= 0

shouldnt there be a D value such that 3a-b+c+d=0

and how do i make sure they intersect

8. Jan 3, 2007 #7

cant I just make up any A and B values and it will work?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?