Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Equation of 3d vector question

1. Dec 27, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find an equation of the line through the point A (4,5,5) which meets the line (x-11)/3 = (y+8)/-1 = z-4 at right angles.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

well i know that the direction of the given line is d(3,-1,1) and the original line crosses through the point (11,-8,4)

The direction of the new line must be able to dot with the old line to get 0 (thus right angles).

I dont know how to find a direction that i know will pass through A.

Help or hint please

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2006 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can write any point P on the given line in parametric form, e.g. (x = t, y = a function of t, z = another function of t). Then you can write the direction of AP in terms of t.

4. Dec 28, 2006 #3
    So, you have point A and point P (P on the line). what can you do with the orthogonal projection of AP onto the given line? from there, how can you find a vector that points from the line to A and that is orthogonal to <3,-1,1> ?

5. Dec 28, 2006 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

There are two common ways to write a vector equation of a line:

i. Given two points, say P and Q, an equation of the line through P and Q (in that order as t ranges over [0,1]) is given by

[tex]\vec{r}(t)=\vec{Q}t+\vec{P}(1-t)[/tex] or [tex]\vec{r}(t)=\vec{P}+\left(\vec{Q}-\vec{P}\right) t [/tex]​

notice that [tex]\vec{Q}-\vec{P}[/tex] is a vector in the direction of the line, hence

ii. Given a point and a vector in the direction of a line, say point P and vector [tex]\vec{v}[/tex], we have an equation of the line through P and parallel to [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] is given by

[tex]\vec{r}(t)=\vec{P}+\vec{v} t [/tex]​

6. Dec 28, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Any vector, <a,b,c>, perpendicular to <3, -1, 1> must satisfy 3a-b+ c= 0 or c= b- 3a. Such a line passing through (4, 5, 5) must be of the form (x-4)/a= (y- 5)/b= (z-5)/(b- 3a). Now, what are the conditions on a and b, in order to ensure that (x-4)/a= (y- 5)/b= (z-5)/(b- 3a) intersects (x-11)/3 = (y+8)/-1 = z-4 ?

7. Jan 1, 2007 #6
    couple questions

Any vector, <a,b,c>, perpendicular to <3, -1, 1> must satisfy 3a-b+ c= 0

shouldnt there be a D value such that 3a-b+c+d=0

and how do i make sure they intersect

8. Jan 3, 2007 #7

cant I just make up any A and B values and it will work?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook