Equation of 3d vector question

• Thread starter canadian_beef
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Vector
In summary: No, the equation of the line must be satisfied for the vector to intersect the line at (x-11)/3 = (y+8)/-1 = z-4.
canadian_beef

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the line through the point A (4,5,5) which meets the line (x-11)/3 = (y+8)/-1 = z-4 at right angles.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well i know that the direction of the given line is d(3,-1,1) and the original line crosses through the point (11,-8,4)

The direction of the new line must be able to dot with the old line to get 0 (thus right angles).

I don't know how to find a direction that i know will pass through A.

Help or hint please

Physics news on Phys.org
You can write any point P on the given line in parametric form, e.g. (x = t, y = a function of t, z = another function of t). Then you can write the direction of AP in terms of t.

So, you have point A and point P (P on the line). what can you do with the orthogonal projection of AP onto the given line? from there, how can you find a vector that points from the line to A and that is orthogonal to <3,-1,1> ?

There are two common ways to write a vector equation of a line:

i. Given two points, say P and Q, an equation of the line through P and Q (in that order as t ranges over [0,1]) is given by

[tex]\vec{r}(t)=\vec{Q}t+\vec{P}(1-t)[/tex] or [tex]\vec{r}(t)=\vec{P}+\left(\vec{Q}-\vec{P}\right) t [/tex]​

notice that [tex]\vec{Q}-\vec{P}[/tex] is a vector in the direction of the line, hence

ii. Given a point and a vector in the direction of a line, say point P and vector [tex]\vec{v}[/tex], we have an equation of the line through P and parallel to [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] is given by

[tex]\vec{r}(t)=\vec{P}+\vec{v} t [/tex]​

Any vector, <a,b,c>, perpendicular to <3, -1, 1> must satisfy 3a-b+ c= 0 or c= b- 3a. Such a line passing through (4, 5, 5) must be of the form (x-4)/a= (y- 5)/b= (z-5)/(b- 3a). Now, what are the conditions on a and b, in order to ensure that (x-4)/a= (y- 5)/b= (z-5)/(b- 3a) intersects (x-11)/3 = (y+8)/-1 = z-4 ?

HallsofIvy said:
Any vector, <a,b,c>, perpendicular to <3, -1, 1> must satisfy 3a-b+ c= 0 or c= b- 3a. Such a line passing through (4, 5, 5) must be of the form (x-4)/a= (y- 5)/b= (z-5)/(b- 3a). Now, what are the conditions on a and b, in order to ensure that (x-4)/a= (y- 5)/b= (z-5)/(b- 3a) intersects (x-11)/3 = (y+8)/-1 = z-4 ?

couple questions

Any vector, <a,b,c>, perpendicular to <3, -1, 1> must satisfy 3a-b+ c= 0

shouldnt there be a D value such that 3a-b+c+d=0

and how do i make sure they intersect

canadian_beef said:
couple questions

Any vector, <a,b,c>, perpendicular to <3, -1, 1> must satisfy 3a-b+ c= 0

shouldnt there be a D value such that 3a-b+c+d=0

and how do i make sure they intersect

cant I just make up any A and B values and it will work?

1. What is the equation for a 3D vector?

The equation for a 3D vector is v = (x, y, z), where x, y, and z represent the components of the vector in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

2. How do I find the magnitude of a 3D vector?

The magnitude of a 3D vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of each component. So for a vector v = (x, y, z), the magnitude is |v| = √(x² + y² + z²).

3. How do I calculate the dot product of two 3D vectors?

The dot product of two 3D vectors v = (x1, y1, z1) and w = (x2, y2, z2) is given by v · w = x1x2 + y1y2 + z1z2. This can also be written using vector notation as v · w = |v||w|cosθ, where θ is the angle between the two vectors.

4. What is the cross product of two 3D vectors?

The cross product of two 3D vectors v = (x1, y1, z1) and w = (x2, y2, z2) is a vector that is perpendicular to both v and w, and is given by v x w = (y1z2 - z1y2, z1x2 - x1z2, x1y2 - y1x2).

5. Can the equation of a 3D vector be used to model real-world phenomena?

Yes, the equation of a 3D vector can be used to model real-world phenomena such as motion, forces, and electromagnetic fields. By assigning physical meanings to the components of the vector, we can use the equations to analyze and predict the behavior of these phenomena.