Find Unit Vector Orthogonal to Vector

• MHB
  • Thread starter annie122
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, it is not possible to find the normal form of a plane given a point through the plane and a vector parallel to it. A vector parallel to a plane defines a line in the plane, and there are an infinite number of planes containing a given line. Additionally, there are an infinite number of vectors that are orthogonal to a given vector. One way to find a unit vector that is orthogonal to a certain vector is to find the equation of the plane containing (0, 0, 0) perpendicular to the given vector, choose any point in that plane, construct a vector from (0, 0, 0) to that point, and then divide the vector by its length to get a unit vector.
annie122
#q1
how do i find the normal form of a plane given a point thru the plane and a vector parallel to it?

first of all i don't understand what a vector parallel to a plane is :/

#q2

how do i find a unit vector that's orthogonal to a certain vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: equation of a plane

Q1: Well, what is the normal form for a plane? What does each symbol represent? How could you find an applicable value for each of those symbols from the given data?

Q2: Can you write down an equation that says "vector $\vec{x}$ is orthogonal to vector $\vec{y}$"?

You may want to take a look at THIS.

If, after reading that, you still have questions, be more specific and we'll try to help :)

Yuuki said:
#q1
how do i find the normal form of a plane given a point thru the plane and a vector parallel to it?
You can't. A vector parallel to a plane defines a line (through the given point) in the plane. But there are an infinite number of planes containing a given line.

first of all i don't understand what a vector parallel to a plane is :/
Well, since a vector is "movable" this is the same a vector lying in the plane.

#q2

how do i find a unit vector that's orthogonal to a certain vector?
There are an infinite number of vectors orthogonal to a given vector. One way find one of them is to find the equation of the plane containing (0, 0, 0) perpendicular to the given vector. Choose any point in that plane and construct the vector from (0, 0, 0) that point. Finally, calculate the length of that vector and divide the vector by its length to get a unit vector.

HallsofIvy said:
You can't. A vector parallel to a plane defines a line (through the given point) in the plane. But there are an infinite number of planes containing a given line.

Right, I thought of that. But it may be that the OP is actually given a vector that defines a line (there's another point on the line). A line and a point not on the line will uniquely determine a plane, at least in Euclidean geometry.

What is a unit vector orthogonal to a vector?

A unit vector orthogonal to a vector is a vector that is perpendicular to the given vector and has a magnitude of 1.

How do you find the unit vector orthogonal to a vector?

To find the unit vector orthogonal to a vector, you need to follow these steps:
1. Determine the dot product of the given vector and any other vector that is perpendicular to it.
2. Normalize this vector by dividing it by its magnitude.
3. The resulting vector will be the unit vector orthogonal to the given vector.

Can there be more than one unit vector orthogonal to a vector?

Yes, there can be an infinite number of unit vectors orthogonal to a given vector. This is because there are an infinite number of vectors that are perpendicular to a given vector.

Why is finding the unit vector orthogonal to a vector important?

Finding the unit vector orthogonal to a vector is important in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering. It allows us to determine the direction of motion or force in a given system, and it is also useful in solving mathematical problems involving vectors.

Is there a specific notation for representing a unit vector orthogonal to a vector?

Yes, the notation for a unit vector orthogonal to a vector is often denoted using a hat symbol (^) on top of the vector variable. For example, a unit vector orthogonal to vector v would be represented as ^v.