Equation of Motion for a Projectile Under Quadratic Air Resistance

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oblio
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Drag Quadratic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
117 replies · 30K views
I realized that after I wrote it.

so subbing u back in I get...

-sqrt[m/gc]arctan [sqrt[c/mg] xv
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Oblio said:
I realized that after I wrote it.

so subbing u back in I get...

-sqrt[m/gc]arctan [sqrt[c/mg] xv

yes...but you need a constant so:

[tex]t = -\sqrt{\frac{m}{gc}}arctan(\sqrt{\frac{c}{mg}}*v) + C[/tex]

we can solve for C by subsituting in t = 0, v = v0

so [tex]C = \sqrt{\frac{m}{gc}}arctan(\sqrt{\frac{c}{mg}}*v0)[/tex]

So [tex]t = -\sqrt{\frac{m}{gc}}arctan(\sqrt{\frac{c}{mg}}*v) + \sqrt{\frac{m}{gc}}arctan(\sqrt{\frac{c}{mg}}*v0)[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Ok, and somehow my two square roots will boil down to v(ter)/g and vo/v(ter) ?
 
EDIT:

actually no... you don't need to do this... sorry about that...

you can solve for vter... at the terminal velocity the net force is 0...

mg = cv^2

vter = sqrt(mg/c)

that should work...
 
Last edited:
I only need the time to the top of the trajectory though?
Are you sure I need to find the time for down?
 
Oblio said:
I only need the time to the top of the trajectory though?
Are you sure I need to find the time for down?

yeah you're right. you don't need that part. I think you're almost done.
 
learningphysics said:
yeah you're right. you don't need that part. I think you're almost done.


lol phew I was worried for a sec.

have I already defined the relation that will give me

t(top) = [tex]\frac{v(ter)}{g}[/tex]arctan([tex]\frac{vo}{v(ter)}[/tex]) ?
 
Oblio said:
lol phew I was worried for a sec.

have I already defined the relation that will give me

t(top) = [tex]\frac{v(ter)}{g}[/tex]arctan([tex]\frac{vo}{v(ter)}[/tex]) ?

yeah, look at post #92, with the constant evaluated... you want the time when v = 0. What time do you get? Try to sub in vter...
 
learningphysics said:
No. look at post #94 for vter.



Ok I thought you were saying that :P
 
I can manipulate the right to get the correct v/vter, but not the left yet. I need g in the denominator, but I also need it for vter...
 
Oblio said:
I can manipulate the right to get the correct v/vter, but not the left yet. I need g in the denominator, but I also need it for vter...

vter = sqrt(mg/c)

what is vter/g ?
 
sqrt[m/c]

but now with all the stuff C brought in I don't have the equation I'm after anymore
 
Oblio said:
sqrt[m/c]

No, vter/g = sqrt(m/cg)

but now with all the stuff C brought in I don't have the equation I'm after anymore

I don't understand... you need to get the time to the top of the trajectory right?

time to the top of the trajectory = C.
 
Oblio said:
lol phew I was worried for a sec.

have I already defined the relation that will give me

t(top) = [tex]\frac{v(ter)}{g}[/tex]arctan([tex]\frac{vo}{v(ter)}[/tex]) ?


Yeah, the question said to solve it to this:

which I have withOUT c.. lol.. I don't get it
 
Oblio said:
it's the exact same thing though..
whats that mean?

[tex]t = -\sqrt{\frac{m}{gc}}arctan(\sqrt{\frac{c}{mg}}*v) + \sqrt{\frac{m}{gc}}arctan(\sqrt{\frac{c}{mg}}*v0)[/tex]

you need t when v = 0,

[tex]t_{top} = \sqrt{\frac{m}{gc}}arctan(\sqrt{\frac{c}{mg}}*v0)[/tex]

And this equals: [tex]\frac{vter}{g}arctan(\frac{v0}{vter})[/tex]
 
when you do

sqrt[mg/c] /g

=sqrt[mg/c] x 1/g
=sqrt[mg/cg]

Now I know this is wrong, but...why?
 
Oblio said:
when you do

sqrt[mg/c] /g

=sqrt[mg/c] x 1/g
=sqrt[mg/cg]

Now I know this is wrong, but...why?

when you bring the g under the square root... you need to square it... g = sqrt(g^2)

so your last step would be

=sqrt[mg/(cg^2)]