Equation of Motion for a Projectile Under Quadratic Air Resistance

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oblio
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Drag Quadratic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
117 replies · 30K views
what step did you take?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Oblio said:
Ok because I am having trouble matching what you got taking out the last constants

show me what you get... I might have made a mistake.
 
One more question first, how do we treat it like a parantheses, when you don't really have anything outside the 'bracket' to multiply or divide, in the simplification process.

I tried lots of things, but logically I'm not sure the proper logic behind taking out those constants when there's no 'other side' to multiply/divide etc...
know what i mean?
 
Oblio said:
One more question first, how do we treat it like a parantheses, when you don't really have anything outside the 'bracket' to multiply or divide, in the simplification process.

I tried lots of things, but logically I'm not sure the proper logic behind taking out those constants when there's no 'other side' to multiply/divide etc...
know what i mean?

I'm not sure I understand... for example:

[tex]\int5xdx = 5\int xdx[/tex]

For any integral [tex]\int A*f(x)dx = A\int f(x)dx[/tex] where A is a constant.

we're just factoring it out... so you don't need an other side...

never mind about taking the constants out...

suppose I had it like this:

[tex]\int\frac{-m}{mg}*\frac{\frac{du}{sqrt[c/mg]}}{1+ u^2}[/tex]

now, I just want to clean this up a little... simplify it... don't take anything outsdie the integral.
 
Last edited:
You mean for me to to it?

I know and understand your first rule there, but does that apply to a multi layer division?
 
Oblio said:
You mean for me to to it?

Yeah.

I know and understand your first rule there, but does that apply to a multi layer division?

Which rule?
 
learningphysics said:
[tex]\int5xdx = 5\int xdx[/tex]

For any integral [tex]\int A*f(x)dx = A\int f(x)dx[/tex] where A is a constant.

QUOTE]
 
Oblio said:
learningphysics said:
[tex]\int5xdx = 5\int xdx[/tex]

For any integral [tex]\int A*f(x)dx = A\int f(x)dx[/tex] where A is a constant.

QUOTE]

don't worry about taking anything out of the integral... just simplify it inside the integral.
 
Yeah, that's what I'm aiming for, but when I simplify equations; mentally I do the 'what you do to one side, do to the other' etc. With nothing outside of the integral, how do we bring out sqrt[c/mg] ?
 
Oblio said:
Yeah, that's what I'm aiming for, but when I simplify equations; mentally I do the 'what you do to one side, do to the other' etc. With nothing outside of the integral, how do we bring out sqrt[c/mg] ?

don't bring it out:

[tex]\int\frac{-m}{mg}*\frac{\frac{du}{sqrt[c/mg]}}{1+ u^2}[/tex]

this equals

[tex]\int\frac{-m}{mg}*\frac{1}{sqrt[c/mg]}*\frac{du}{1+ u^2}[/tex]

now, the first thing you can do is cancel the m's in the numerator and denominator... what else can you do to simplify...
 
learningphysics said:
yes. forget about moving it out of the integral...

we have 2 fractions multiplied together...


[tex]\frac{-1}{g}[/tex] x [tex]\frac{1}{/sqrt{c/mg}}[/tex]

I would think the sqrt would need to removed maybe...
 
Oblio said:
we have 2 fractions multiplied together...


[tex]\frac{-1}{g}[/tex] x [tex]\frac{1}{/sqrt{c/mg}}[/tex]

I would think the sqrt would need to removed maybe...

can you do anything with the g that is there and the g inside the square root?

also try to clean up the fraction so that I don't have additional fractions inside the numerator and denominator... ie: in the numerator I want stuff being multiplied... in the denominator I want stuff being multiplied...
 
I know the fractions are technically the same thing as -1/g/sqrt[c/mg], but that doesn't help
 
Oblio said:
I know the fractions are technically the same thing as -1/g/sqrt[c/mg], but that doesn't help

what is [tex]\frac{g}{\sqrt{g}}[/tex]?
 
In trying things out manually I'm finding that its sqrt[g] but i definitely didnt know that before now... hmm
 
Oblio said:
In trying things out manually I'm finding that its sqrt[g] but i definitely didnt know that before now... hmm

exactly... can you further simplify the integral?
 
Its hard since its in the denominator in the square root...

is it close to...
sqrt[c/(msqrt[g])] lol that's wrong...
 
Oblio said:
Its hard since its in the denominator in the square root...

is it close to...
sqrt[c/(msqrt[g])] lol that's wrong...

[tex]\frac{-1}{g}\times\frac{1}{\sqrt{c/mg}}[/tex]

=

[tex]\frac{-1}{\sqrt{gc/m}}[/tex]

=

[tex]-\sqrt{\frac{m}{gc}}[/tex]
 
I'll have to do some research on that, I can't say I'm following manipulating such distant numbers..
 
learningphysics said:
[tex]\frac{-1}{g}\times\frac{1}{\sqrt{c/mg}}[/tex]

=

[tex]\frac{-1}{\sqrt{gc/m}}[/tex]

=

[tex]-\sqrt{\frac{m}{gc}}[/tex]

For the time being, I'm left with

[tex]-\sqrt{\frac{m}{gc}}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{du}{1+u^2}[/tex]

Now integrate it I assume
 
Oblio said:
For the time being, I'm left with

[tex]-\sqrt{\frac{m}{gc}}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{du}{1+u^2}[/tex]

Now integrate it I assume

yeah, use arctan. we should actually have limits on that integral... so:

[tex]-\sqrt{\frac{m}{gc}}[/tex] [tex]\int_{u_{initial}}^{u_{final}}[/tex] [tex]\frac{du}{1+u^2}[/tex]
 
learningphysics said:
yeah, use arctan. we should actually have limits on that integral... so:

[tex]-\sqrt{\frac{m}{gc}}[/tex] [tex]\int_{u_{initial}}^{u_{final}}[/tex] [tex]\frac{du}{1+u^2}[/tex]


We often didn't use limits. Why this time?
 
Oblio said:
We often didn't use limits. Why this time?

Yeah, we don't need the limits... but we should add a constant when we take the integral...
 
learningphysics said:
[tex]\int_{u_{initial}}^{u_{final}}[/tex] [tex]\frac{du}{1+u^2}[/tex]

That IS arctan isn't it?
 
Ok so if arctan = that, I need to find out what the integral of arctan is..
 
Oblio said:
Ok so if arctan = that, I need to find out what the integral of arctan is..

no arctan IS the integral.