Equation of Motion for a Projectile Under Quadratic Air Resistance

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oblio
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Drag Quadratic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
117 replies · 30K views
Oblio said:
I'm not sure if that's how you meant me to use a substitution.

It's a method of solving integrals, called integration by substitution.

[tex]u = \sqrt{\frac{c}{mg}}*v[/tex]

[tex]du = \sqrt{\frac{c}{mg}}*dv[/tex]

solve for v and dv in the above equations, and substitute into the integral:

tf-ti = [tex]\frac{-m}{mg}*\frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{c}{mg}}}\int\frac{du}{1+u^2}[/tex]

now you can use the arctan for the right side...

once you get the integral in terms of u... you can substitute [tex]\sqrt{\frac{c}{mg}}*v[/tex] for u
 
Physics news on Phys.org
learningphysics said:
It's a method of solving integrals, called integration by substitution.

[tex]u = \sqrt{\frac{c}{mg}}*v[/tex]

[tex]du = \sqrt{\frac{c}{mg}}*dv[/tex]

Not dv/dt?
 
learningphysics said:
It's a method of solving integrals, called integration by substitution.

[tex]u = \sqrt{\frac{c}{mg}}*v[/tex]

[tex]du = \sqrt{\frac{c}{mg}}*dv[/tex]

solve for v and dv in the above equations, and substitute into the integral:

tf-ti = [tex]\frac{-m}{mg}*\frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{c}{mg}}}\int\frac{du}{1+u^2}[/tex]

now you can use the arctan for the right side...

once you get the integral in terms of u... you can substitute [tex]\sqrt{\frac{c}{mg}}*v[/tex] for u


Ok, we went from tf-ti = [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{-mdv}{mg(1+(c/mg)v^2}[/tex]

Bring out the constants [tex]\frac{-m}{mg}[/tex]


=[tex]\frac{-m}{mg}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dv}{1+(c/mg)v^2}[/tex]

the numerator and denominator are factored out above...


Am I correct in say that [tex]\sqrt{\frac{c}{mg}}[/tex] in the numerator and denominator in the integral cancel out leaving just v and dv?

I'm not following the step in getting [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{c}{mg}}}[/tex] outside...
 
Last edited:
Oblio said:
Ok, we went from tf-ti = [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{-mdv}{mg(1+(c/mg)v^2}[/tex]

Bring out the constants [tex]\frac{-m}{mg}[/tex]


=[tex]\frac{-m}{mg}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dv}{1+(c/mg)v^2}[/tex]

the numerator and denominator are factored out above...

Yeah, let's cancel out the m's... leaving:

[tex]\frac{-1}{g}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dv}{1+(c/mg)v^2}[/tex]

The idea is now I want this integral to look like:

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{1+x^2}[/tex]

for that we need to substitute a new variable instead of v...

If I let u = [tex]\sqrt{c/mg}*v[/tex], then the denominator is 1+(c/mg)v^2 = 1+u^2... does this part make sense?
 
learningphysics said:
Yeah, let's cancel out the m's... leaving:

[tex]\frac{-1}{g}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dv}{1+(c/mg)v^2}[/tex]

The idea is now I want this integral to look like:

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{1+x^2}[/tex]

for that we need to substitute a new variable instead of v...

If I let u = [tex]\sqrt{c/mg}*v[/tex], then the denominator is 1+(c/mg)v^2 = 1+u^2... does this part make sense?

u = [tex]\sqrt{c/mg}*v[/tex]
= u^2 = (c/mg)v^2

Yep. I get it!
 
I just changed it, you may have already started replying to my dumb mistake before the edit. :P
 
learningphysics said:
du = 2xdx

du/2 = xdx

so they substitute in du/2 instead of xdx.

right. duh.
I'm going to stab my brain with a q-tip.
 
Oblio said:
so you'd have:

u^76*u*1/152

=(u^76*x^2+5) / 152

no... du doesn't integrate to u...

When you have an integral:

let's say:

[tex]\int5xdx[/tex]

What you are taking the anti-derivative of is 5x... so the answer would be (5/2)x^2.

same way:

[tex]\int u^{75}(du/2) = \int \frac{u^{75}}{2} du[/tex]

You take the anti-derivative of u^75/2 to get your answer.
 
Ok, got it. It's more of a notation.

Yeah I follow your online example now.
 
learningphysics said:
Yeah, let's cancel out the m's... leaving:

[tex]\frac{-1}{g}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dv}{1+(c/mg)v^2}[/tex]

The idea is now I want this integral to look like:

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{1+x^2}[/tex]

for that we need to substitute a new variable instead of v...

If I let u = [tex]\sqrt{c/mg}*v[/tex], then the denominator is 1+(c/mg)v^2 = 1+u^2... does this part make sense?

So, if u = [tex]\sqrt{c/mg}*v[/tex]

How do we still end up with [tex]\sqrt{c/mg}[/tex] outside the integral as well?
 
Oblio said:
So, if u = [tex]\sqrt{c/mg}*v[/tex]

How do we still end up with [tex]\sqrt{c/mg}[/tex] outside the integral as well?

we not only need to substitute u... we also need to take care of the dv, and get du instead...

so:

du = [tex]\sqrt{c/mg}*dv[/tex]

dv = [tex]\frac{du}{\sqrt{c/mg}}[/tex]

So substitute that into the integral for dv...

what do you get for the integral now?
 
Oblio said:
Ok, got it. It's more of a notation.

Yeah, for the most part...
Yeah I follow your online example now.
cool.
 
learningphysics said:
we not only need to substitute u... we also need to take care of the dv, and get du instead...

so:

du = [tex]\sqrt{c/mg}*dv[/tex]

dv = [tex]\frac{du}{\sqrt{c/mg}}[/tex]

So substitute that into the integral for dv...

what do you get for the integral now?

[tex]\frac{-m}{mg}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{\frac{du}{sqrt[c/mg]}}{1 + c/mg* v^2}[/tex]
 
Oblio said:
[tex]\frac{-m}{mg}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{\frac{du}{sqrt[c/mg]}}{1 + c/mg* v^2}[/tex]

yes, but you also need the u substitution...
 
Oblio said:
You mean du?

you've taken care of the du... but you still have v in the integral... you want u... we had it before

1+u^2
 
Oblio said:
[tex]\frac{-m}{mg}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{\frac{du}{sqrt[c/mg]}}{1 + c/mg* v^2}[/tex]

right...

[tex]\frac{-m}{mg}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{\frac{du}{sqrt[c/mg]}}{1+ u^2}[/tex]
 
Oblio said:
right...

[tex]\frac{-m}{mg}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{\frac{du}{sqrt[c/mg]}}{1+ u^2}[/tex]

exactly... now take all the constants outside the integral... and we get:

[tex]-\sqrt{\frac{m}{gc}}\int\frac{du}{1+u^2}[/tex]

now we can apply arctan...
 
Do you treat the integral sign almost as an equality when moving things in and out?
 
Oblio said:
Do you treat the integral sign almost as an equality when moving things in and out?

not like an equal sign... more like a parentheses...

ie: 4x^2y+8xy = 4(x^2y + 2xy) = 4xy(x+2)

it's the same way I'm moving out the constants...
 
Ok because I am having trouble matching what you got taking out the last constants