Equation of motion for pendulum with slender rod (energy method)

In summary, the textbook solution is different from the attempt at a solution, but both methods result in the same equation of motion.
NEGATIVE_40
hey guys, I have a question regarding how to get the potential energy for this. I can get the correct answer, but the solutions do a step that makes absolutely no sense to me, so hopefully someone leads me in the right direction :smile:

Homework Statement

Using energy method,

derive the equation of motion for the pendulum which consists of the slender uniform rod of mass m and the bob of mass M. assume small oscillations, and neglect the radius of the bob.

***see attachment for diagram***

Homework Equations

[tex] I_o = \frac{1}{3}mL^2 + ML^2 [/tex] is the moment of inertia

[tex] V = mgh [/tex]
is the gravitational potential energy

[tex] T = \frac{1}{2}I_o \omega^2 = \frac{1}{2}I_o \dot{\theta}^2 [/tex]
is the kinetic energy

[tex] \frac{d}{dt}(T+V)=0 [/tex]
to get equation of motion

The Attempt at a Solution

My expression for V is this;

[tex] V = -mg\frac{L}{2}cos(\theta)-MgLcos(\theta) [/tex]
where I have taken the datum as being at the pivot acting postive up. This is different to the solution, which has written[tex] V_{solution} = mg\frac{L}{2}(1-cos(\theta))+ MgL(1-cos(\theta)) [/tex]
I don't understand why they have 1 - cos(theta). Wouldn't you just want the cosine of the angle?

Anyway, if I continue to the derivtive step (doing the small angle approximation), this doesn't seem to have an effect. So...
[tex] \frac{d}{dt}(T+V)=\frac{d}{dt}\left ( \frac{1}{2}(M+\frac{m}{3})L^2\dot{\theta}^2 -mg\frac{L}{2}cos(\theta)-MgLcos(\theta)\right ) =0 [/tex]
which yields, after a lot of manipulation,
[tex] \ddot{\theta}+\frac{3g(m+2M)}{2L(m+3M)}\theta = 0 [/tex]
which is what the textbook says is correct.

is the textbooks expression for the potential energy wrong in this case? or did I get lucky in getting the right answer? It doesn't make sense to me why they have 1 - cosine.

Attachments

• pendulum.PNG
    pendulum.PNG
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,554
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NEGATIVE_40 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

My expression for V is this;

[tex] V = -mg\frac{L}{2}cos(\theta)-MgLcos(\theta) [/tex]
where I have taken the datum as being at the pivot acting postive up. This is different to the solution, which has written

[tex] V_{solution} = mg\frac{L}{2}(1-cos(\theta))+ MgL(1-cos(\theta)) [/tex]
I don't understand why they have 1 - cos(theta). Wouldn't you just want the cosine of the angle?

The change in height from when you displace it at the angle is L-Lcosθ or L(1-cosθ). Remember at the angle the length of the adjacent side is Lcosθ, but the original length was L, so change = L-Lcosθ

NEGATIVE_40 said:
Anyway, if I continue to the derivtive step (doing the small angle approximation), this doesn't seem to have an effect. So...
[tex] \frac{d}{dt}(T+V)=\frac{d}{dt}\left ( \frac{1}{2}(M+\frac{m}{3})L^2\dot{\theta}^2 -mg\frac{L}{2}cos(\theta)-MgLcos(\theta)\right ) =0 [/tex]
which yields, after a lot of manipulation,
[tex] \ddot{\theta}+\frac{3g(m+2M)}{2L(m+3M)}\theta = 0 [/tex]
which is what the textbook says is correct.

is the textbooks expression for the potential energy wrong in this case? or did I get lucky in getting the right answer? It doesn't make sense to me why they have 1 - cosine.

Why it worked without the 1-cosθ was that you would end up differentiating 1-cosθ, which would be like this

d/dt(1-cosθ) = d/dt(1) -d/dt(cosθ) = -d/dt(cosθ)

so you'd still end up just differentiating cosθ wrt to t alone.

so I need to be doing the CHANGE in height from the equilibrium position to some displaced position?
I thought you only needed the potential AT the displaced position, ie you don't care about where it ends up only where its at when you do the energy stuff?

I think why I was confused with this is because the textbook always has the datum at some convenient point so the potential for one position is zero.

so in the formula
[tex] \frac{d}{dt}(T+V)=0 [/tex]
should it really be
[tex] \frac{d}{dt}(\Delta T+\Delta V)=0 [/tex]
?

You simply used a different zero point than what the solutions did. Your zero of potential energy is at the level of the pivot. In the solutions, there are two zeros, one for the rod and one for the mass. The zeros are where the mass and the center of mass are located when the pendulum is vertical. Neither method is incorrect.

First of all, great job on deriving the equation of motion for the pendulum using the energy method! Your approach and final result are both correct.

Now, regarding the potential energy expression, both yours and the textbook's expressions are actually correct, just written in slightly different ways. The reason for the 1-cosine term in the textbook's expression is because they have taken the datum as being at the lowest point of the pendulum, where the potential energy is zero. In this case, the height of the bob is equal to the length of the rod, so the potential energy expression becomes V = mgh + Mgh = (m+M)gh = (m+M)g(L-Lcos(theta)) = (m+M)gL(1-cos(theta)).

In your expression, you have taken the datum as being at the pivot point, where the potential energy is not zero. In this case, the height of the bob is equal to L/2, so the potential energy expression becomes V = mgh + Mgh = (m+M)g(L/2-Lcos(theta)) = (m+M)gL(1/2-cos(theta)).

Both expressions are equivalent, it just depends on where you take the datum to be. So to answer your question, the textbook's expression is not wrong, it's just written in a different way.

Keep up the good work in your studies of physics!

1. What is the equation of motion for a pendulum with a slender rod?

The equation of motion for a pendulum with a slender rod is given by:

θ'' + (g/L)sinθ = 0

Where θ represents the angular displacement from the vertical, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and L is the length of the pendulum's rod.

2. How is the equation of motion derived using the energy method?

The equation of motion can be derived using the principle of conservation of energy. The total energy of a pendulum with a slender rod is given by the sum of its potential energy and kinetic energy. By taking the derivative of this total energy and setting it equal to zero, we can obtain the equation of motion.

3. What does the term 'slender rod' refer to in this equation of motion?

The term 'slender rod' in this equation of motion refers to the length of the pendulum's rod being much greater than its width. This assumption allows us to simplify the equation and neglect any effects of the pendulum's width on its motion.

4. Can this equation of motion be used for any type of pendulum?

No, this equation of motion is specifically derived for a pendulum with a slender rod. It may not accurately represent the motion of other types of pendulums, such as those with a massive bob or a non-uniform rod.

5. How can this equation of motion be solved to determine the motion of the pendulum?

This equation of motion is a second-order differential equation, which can be solved using various mathematical techniques such as the Euler method, Runge-Kutta method, or numerical integration. The solution will give the angle of displacement as a function of time, allowing us to understand the motion of the pendulum.