Equation of tagent line to the graph

• Thread starter Tjvelcro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph Line
The problem is really about the connection between the slope of a tangent line and the value of the derivative at that point.
Tjvelcro

Homework Statement

a. Find the equation of the tangent line to the graph of y=g(x) at x = 5 if g(5) = -3 and g'(5) = 4

b. If the tangent line to y = f(x) at (4,3) passes through the point (0,2), find f(4) and f'(4)

Homework Equations

y=mx =b
f(a+h)-f(a)
h
y – y1 = m(x – x1)

The Attempt at a Solution

So in a. I'm given a point (5, -3) but I'm not sure if we can find the equation right away or find the slope first. I also don't know what g'(5) = 4 has to do with the problem. Should I sketch them?

For b. I'm not even sure what I'm trying to find, a value? equation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tjvelcro said:

Homework Statement

a. Find the equation of the tangent line to the graph of y=g(x) at x = 5 if g(x) = -3 and g'(5) = 4
Instead of g(x) = -3, you mean g(5) = 3. g(x) = -3 means that for any x, the y value is -3.
Tjvelcro said:
b. If the tangent line to y = f(x) at (4,3) passes through the point (0,2), find f(4) and f'(4)

Homework Equations

y=mx =b
f(a+h)-f(a)
h
y – y1 = m(x – x1)

The Attempt at a Solution

So in a. I'm given a point (5, -3) but I'm not sure if we can find the equation right away or find the slope first. I also don't know what g'(5) = 4 has to do with the problem. Should I sketch them?
You have a point -- (5, -3) -- that's on the curve and on the tangent line, and you have the derivative of g at 5 -- g'(5) -- that is the slope of the tangent line. Given a point on a line and its slope, what is the equation of the line?
Tjvelcro said:
For b. I'm not even sure what I'm trying to find, a value? equation?
For b, you are suppose to find two values, f(4) and f'(4). That's why it says "find f(4) and f'(4)."

You are apparently missing the connection between the value of the derivative at a point and the slope of the line that is tangent to the curve at that point.

For this problem you are given two points on the tangent line (hint: find the slope of this line) and the point of tangency -- (4, 3). Finding f(4) is really a no-brainer.

a. so I use y – y1 = m(x – x1)
sub in (5, -3) for the point and 4 for the slope?
Solve for y.
So y-(-3)=4(x-5)
y=4x-23

b. I would use m=(y2-y1)/(x2-x1) to find the slope as you suggest.
m=(3-2)/(4-0)
m=1/4

Now I need to find f(4) and f'(4)
I need to find the equation first as I did in part a.
so I use y – y1 = m(x – x1)
sub in (4,3) for the point and 1/4 for the slope?
So y-(3)=1/4(x-4)
y=(1/4)x+2

Now I can solve for f(4) but is f'(4) any different?

y=(1/4)(4)+2
y=3

Tjvelcro said:
a. so I use y – y1 = m(x – x1)
sub in (5, -3) for the point and 4 for the slope?
Solve for y.
So y-(-3)=4(x-5)
y=4x-23
Correct.
Tjvelcro said:
b. I would use m=(y2-y1)/(x2-x1) to find the slope as you suggest.
m=(3-2)/(4-0)
m=1/4
Correct.
Tjvelcro said:
Now I need to find f(4) and f'(4)
Don't overthink these. (4, 3) is a point on the graph of f, so what is f(4)?

For f'(4) you are still missing the connection between the 1) slope of the tangent line to a function at a point (a, f(a)) on the graph and 2) the value of f'(a). For this problem, once you have found the slope of the tangent line (m = 1/4), you DON'T NEED TO DO ANY OTHER CALCULATIONS!

In particular, you ARE NOT ASKED to find the equation of the tangent line - just f(4) and f'(4).
Tjvelcro said:
I need to find the equation first as I did in part a.
so I use y – y1 = m(x – x1)
sub in (4,3) for the point and 1/4 for the slope?
So y-(3)=1/4(x-4)
y=(1/4)x+2

Now I can solve for f(4) but is f'(4) any different?

y=(1/4)(4)+2
y=3

So f(4)=3 as given in the question...
f'(4)=1/4 since 1/4 is the slope of the tangent line at point (4,3)?

Thanks for the help! Test this Thursday!

Tjvelcro said:
So f(4)=3 as given in the question...
f'(4)=1/4 since 1/4 is the slope of the tangent line at point (4,3)?
Right.

What is the equation of the tangent line to a graph?

The equation of the tangent line to a graph is a mathematical representation of the slope of the curve at a specific point. It is expressed in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the tangent line and b is the y-intercept.

How do I find the equation of the tangent line to a graph?

To find the equation of the tangent line, you will need to know the coordinates of the point where the tangent line touches the curve. Then, you can use the slope formula, m = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1), to calculate the slope at that point. Once you have the slope, you can plug it into the equation y = mx + b and solve for b using the coordinates of the point. This will give you the equation of the tangent line.

Can the equation of the tangent line change at different points on the same curve?

Yes, the equation of the tangent line can change at different points on the same curve. This is because the slope of the curve is constantly changing, and therefore, the slope of the tangent line will also change at different points.

How is the equation of the tangent line related to the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function is the slope of the tangent line at any point on the function's curve. This means that the equation of the tangent line is essentially the derivative of the function, expressed in the form of y = mx + b.

Can the equation of the tangent line be used to approximate the value of a function at a specific point?

Yes, the equation of the tangent line can be used to approximate the value of a function at a specific point. This is because the tangent line is a close approximation of the curve at that particular point, and therefore, the y-value of the tangent line will be close to the y-value of the curve at that point.