Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation with two variables?

1. Mar 28, 2013 #1
    Hi there,

I have a table with two variables that relates to a 2d dose distribution and need to determine a formula that will solve for any point on that surface. Similar to determining the equation of a straight line with a few points (y = mx +c) to then be able to calculate any point on the line.

For example, what i need to calculate: The dose at a specific angle and distance from a point is...
    (each parameter is in relation to a single point).

It will save me a LOT of time and effort looking up values and interpolating between them in work, so any help would be appreciated! Even to point me to a resource that explains the method.

Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

How does that distribution look like? You can use a linear interpolation there as well: z=mx+ny+c.
    Other functions might be better, and this Wikipedia article could be interesting.

4. Mar 28, 2013 #3
    Thank you for the quick reply, its much appreciated!

The distribution represents a dose distribution around a radioactive source so its similar to an exponential fall-off. The wiki link you sent me has distributions similar to what Im looking at actually!

Would a type of polynomial fit work for something of that nature?

5. Mar 28, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If the grid is fine enough, polynomials will always fit to any reasonable distribution.
    You could try to include your physics model (exponential, 1/r^2-law, ...) in the functions to get more accuracy even with less grid cells.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook