Equations of Motion & Forces of a Motorcycle Suspension

In summary, the motorcycle suspension system has equations of motion involving forces, velocities, and displacements at points b, c, and d. The motion relationship of points b, c, and / d on the lever. Motion relationship of points b, c, and / d on the lever. The motorcycle suspension system has equations of motion involving forces, velocities, and displacements at points b, c, and d. The motion relationship of points b, c, and / d on the lever. The motorcycle suspension system has equations of motion involving forces, velocities, and displacements at points b, c, and d.
baranij
Spring Mass Damper Solution of a Motorcycle Suspension

I am trying to create a model of a motorcycle suspension to figure how road bump forces get transferred to the bike.
I have created a free body diagram of the system and also attached a pdf. If you need the original powerpoint in case there are mistakes, just let me know and I can email it since its not one of the accepted formats on this forum.

Wheel%20Loads%20Spring%20Mass%20Diagram%20OF%20Suspension.jpg

The following are the equations of motion that I derived from my Free Body diagram. Since its been a few years since college, I am at a loss as how to proceede to solve for forces and velocities at different points in the diagram. I am looking for equations of force at points [tex]b, d[/tex] and [tex]e[/tex] a function of input velocity and displacement.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

1. [tex]\sum FORCES_{a} = F_{R} + (b-a)K_{W} + (\dot{b}-\dot{a})C_{W} = 0 [/tex]

2. [tex]\sum FORCES_{b} = F_{b} - \ddot{b}M_{W} + (a-b)K_{W} + (\dot{a}-\dot{b})C_{W} = 0 [/tex]

3a. [tex]\sum FORCES_{c} = F_{b} + F_{c} + F_{d} = 0 \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ and \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ F_{c} = -\ddot{e}M_{X}[/tex]

3b. [tex]\sum MOMENTS_{c} = (cd)F_{d} - (bc)F_{b} = 0 \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ so \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ F_{d} = \frac{bc}{cd}F_{b} \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ and \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ F_{b} = \frac{cd}{bc}F_{d}[/tex]

4. [tex]\sum FORCES_{d} = F_{d} + (e-d)K_{X} + (\dot{e}-\dot{d})C_{X} = 0 [/tex]

5. [tex]\sum FORCES_{e} = -\ddot{e}M_{X} - eK_{Y} + (d-e)K_{X} + (\dot{d}-\dot{e})C_{X} + F_{c}= 0 \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ and \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ F_{c} = -F_{b}-F_{d}[/tex]

Motion relationship of points [tex]b, c, and / d[/tex] on the lever.
[tex] b = \left(\frac{\ \overline{bc}\ }{\ \overline{cd}\ }+1\right) c \ - \ \frac{\ \overline{bc}\ }{\ \overline{cd}\ }d \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ and \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ e = c \ \ \ \ \ point \ \ c \ \ and \ point \ \ e \ \ are \ linked \ and \ move \ the \ same \ amount.[/tex]

Attachments

• Wheel Loads Spring Mass Diagram OF Suspension.pdf
    12.9 KB · Views: 571
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I managed to combine equations 2 and 4 to get the following.

[tex]
K_{W}a \ + \ C_{W}\dot{a} \ + \ R^{2}K_{X}e \ + \ R^{2}C_{X}\dot{e} \ = \ \left(K_{W} + R^{2}K_{X}\right)b \ \ + \ \left(C_{W} + R^{2}C_{X}\right)\dot{b} \ -\ M_{W}\ddot{b}
[/tex]

To keep things simple, I substituted [tex] R [/tex] for the lever motion ratio. [tex] R = \frac{\ \overline{cd}\ }{\ \overline{bc}\ }[/tex]

Now how do I simplify it further?

Should I integrate to get forces...if yes, how do I integrate [tex] \ddot{b} [/tex]
Do I get [tex] \dot{b} + C [/tex] How do I get C?

From combining equations 2 and 4 & 5 I get the following.

[tex]
M_{X}\ddot{e} \ + \ K_{Y}e \ - \ K_{W}a \ + \ C_{W}\dot{a} \ = M_{W}\ddot{b} \ - \ C_{W}\dot{b} \ - \ K_{W}b
[/tex]

Last edited:
Hmmm, it's actually much more complicated than that and you need to integrate the force over the amount of actual suspension-travel. Damping values in the dampers will change over this travel distance as the gas compresses and the dampers increase its resistance.

There are also harmonics from the mass of the bike, wheel, spring-rates, damping that causes the overall damping-value to be completely different for a 2nd bump of the exact same size and magnitude as the 1st. This will vary as a function of time.

Thank you, that's some very good points. I am trying to keep this as simple as possible and don't want to model a gas damper, just a regular coil spring with a constant damping coefficient damper.

What I'm trying to figure out is the reaction to a specific initial condition...lets say a 2 inch tall bump with a ramp up speed of 4 in/sec

What is confusing me is how to integrate with respect to bump height when the integrals are with respect to Time.

ANY SUGGESTIONS OF HOW I SHOULD PROCEED?

[tex]\int s = \int^{bump}_{0} s \ dt = \frac{s^2}{2}+C_{0} [/tex]

[tex]\int v = \int^{bump}_{0} \frac{ds}{dt} \ dt= s+C_{1} [/tex]

[tex]\int a = \int^{bump}_{0} \frac{dv}{dt} \ dt= v+C_{2} [/tex]

[tex]\int (v+C_{2}) = \int^{bump}_{0} \frac{ds}{dt} \ dt\ \ + \int^{bump}_{0} C_{2} \ dt = (s+C_{3}) +(C_{2}s+C_{4}) [/tex]

1. What are the equations used to calculate the motion of a motorcycle suspension?

The equations used to calculate the motion of a motorcycle suspension depend on the type of suspension system being used. In general, these equations involve the application of Newton's laws of motion, as well as principles of energy conservation and oscillatory motion.

2. How do forces affect the performance of a motorcycle suspension?

Forces play a crucial role in determining the performance of a motorcycle suspension. These forces include the weight of the motorcycle and rider, as well as external forces such as wind and road conditions. The suspension system must be able to counteract these forces in order to maintain stability and provide a smooth ride.

3. What factors influence the design of a motorcycle suspension system?

The design of a motorcycle suspension system is influenced by a variety of factors, including the type of motorcycle, the intended use of the motorcycle, and the rider's preferences. Other important factors include the weight of the motorcycle and rider, the terrain on which the motorcycle will be used, and the desired level of comfort and handling.

4. How does the geometry of a motorcycle suspension affect its performance?

The geometry of a motorcycle suspension plays a significant role in its performance. The angle of the forks, the length of the shock absorbers, and the placement of pivot points all impact the handling and stability of the motorcycle. Improper geometry can lead to poor performance and even safety issues.

5. Can computer simulations be used to analyze and optimize motorcycle suspension systems?

Yes, computer simulations can be a useful tool in analyzing and optimizing motorcycle suspension systems. These simulations use mathematical models to predict how the suspension will behave under different conditions, allowing engineers to make adjustments and fine-tune the design before physical testing. This can help save time and resources in the development process.