Equilibrium of Charges at Circumference of a Circle

In summary, the system is in equilibrium if the net force on the bead at the point ##(x,y)## is directed radially out.
Buffu

Homework Statement

Two charges placed at circumference of a circle of radius ##a## at ##\pi/2## from each other. Find the relative magnitude of third charge kept on the circumference such that the system is at equilibrium.

Homework Equations

Coulombs law.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##Q## be the unknown charge and ##x## be the length of equal sides of the triangle . then I get,

text4180-7.png
By coulombs law,

$$F_{BA} = {-Qq \over x^2 } \left(\cos(135/2)\hat i + \hat j \sin(135/2) \right)$$

$$F_{CA} = {-q^2\over 4x^2(\cos (135/2))}(\hat i) $$Now the force on ##A## should be zero for the system to be in equilibrium but clearly there is a net force in -y direction that is not balanced by anything, so how the system is in equilibrium for any value of ##Q## ?

Where did I go wrong ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the value of ##x##?

kuruman said:
What is the value of ##x##?
Numerical value or what it represent in equations ?

Buffu said:
Numerical value or what it represent in equations ?
It's OK, I figured it out from the way you used it. I think you misunderstood that the problem requires the charges to be constrained on the circle. Imagine three charged beads on a wire loop, for example. As you correctly discovered, the force on anyone bead cannot be zero. However, if you constrained the charges on the (non-deformable) circle, equilibrium is reached if the net force on anyone bead is directed radially out. Therefore, the task before you is to balance the tangential forces.

Upon doing the problem, I think you will benefit from expressing the two charge-to-charge distances in terms of the radius of the circle. To do that, draw the inner right triangle (with its apex at the center) and then use the law of sines.

kuruman said:
It's OK, I figured it out from the way you used it. I think you misunderstood that the problem requires the charges to be constrained on the circle. Imagine three charged beads on a wire loop, for example. As you correctly discovered, the force on anyone bead cannot be zero. However, if you constrained the charges on the (non-deformable) circle, equilibrium is reached if the net force on anyone bead is directed radially out. Therefore, the task before you is to balance the tangential forces.

Thank you, I will try and tell you the results.

What is the concept of equilibrium of charges at the circumference of a circle?

The concept of equilibrium of charges at the circumference of a circle refers to the balance of positive and negative charges around a circular object. In this state, the net electric field at any point on the circumference is zero, resulting in a stable distribution of charges.

How is the equilibrium of charges at the circumference of a circle achieved?

The equilibrium of charges at the circumference of a circle is achieved when the charges are evenly distributed around the circle, with equal distances between each charge. This ensures that the electric forces between the charges cancel out, resulting in a net electric field of zero at the circumference.

What is the significance of the equilibrium of charges at the circumference of a circle?

The equilibrium of charges at the circumference of a circle is significant because it allows for a stable and balanced distribution of charges, which is essential in many applications such as electronic circuits and capacitors. It also demonstrates the principles of symmetry and electric fields in physics.

Can the equilibrium of charges at the circumference of a circle be disrupted?

Yes, the equilibrium of charges at the circumference of a circle can be disrupted if the distribution of charges is altered. This can happen if additional charges are introduced or if the distance between the charges is changed. In this case, the net electric field at the circumference will no longer be zero, and the system will no longer be in equilibrium.

How does the equilibrium of charges at the circumference of a circle relate to Coulomb's Law?

The equilibrium of charges at the circumference of a circle is a result of Coulomb's Law, which states that like charges repel each other while opposite charges attract. In this case, the charges are distributed in a way that the net electric field is canceled out, in accordance with Coulomb's Law.