Equilibrium when applied to muscles and joints Help, please

In summary, the conversation is discussing a physics problem involving calculating the magnitude of forces for an outstretched arm. The problem provides a picture and asks for the calculation of two forces, FM and FJ. The conversation includes the calculation of FM and a question about finding FJ, which is answered by summing up the force components. The final answer for FJ is 260 N.
confusedbyphysics
This seems like it should be easy but I am not sure what to do. Heres the problem:
The picture to the problem is here: http://www.webassign.net/giancoli/9-65alt.gif
"(a) Calculate the magnitude of the force FM required of the "deltoid" muscle to hold up the outstretched arm shown in Fig. 9-65. The total mass of the arm is 2.8 kg and = 12°.
(b) Calculate the magnitude of the force FJ exerted by the shoulder joint on the upper arm.
I found a) by doing .12 m (sin 12) F - .25 m (2.8 kg) (9.8 m/s^2) = 0. F = 264 N.
But how do I find the force FJ? Confused (we haven't had the lesson on this yet, but trying to get my homework done early because I have a busy week). THANKS for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
your torque looks okay.

Now that you know all the Forces, you could treat it like a chapter 3 problem
(Sum of the force components (x,y) = 0 . you DID enjoy that, right?)

OR, you can sum torques around the tendon attachment point, to = 0
(pretending that it might rotate around this attachment point)
This gives the vertical component of the joint Force (Fjx applies no torque).

thanks lightgrav, adding up the components worked. answer turned out to be 260 N. Thank you for the help!

What is equilibrium when applied to muscles and joints?

Equilibrium, in the context of muscles and joints, refers to the balance and stability of these structures when at rest or in motion. It involves the coordination of various forces and movements to maintain a state of balance.

How does equilibrium affect muscle and joint movement?

Equilibrium is essential for proper muscle and joint movement. Without it, the body would not be able to maintain stability and control during various activities. Equilibrium helps to distribute forces evenly and prevent excessive strain on muscles and joints.

What factors can disrupt equilibrium in muscles and joints?

Several factors can disrupt equilibrium in muscles and joints, including injuries, poor posture, muscle imbalances, and inadequate strength or flexibility. These factors can lead to faulty movement patterns and increase the risk of injury.

How can equilibrium be improved in muscles and joints?

Equilibrium can be improved through regular exercise and proper training. Strengthening and stretching exercises can help to correct muscle imbalances and improve overall stability. Practicing good posture and using proper body mechanics during daily activities can also help maintain equilibrium.

What are the consequences of not maintaining equilibrium in muscles and joints?

Failing to maintain equilibrium in muscles and joints can lead to various consequences, such as muscle strains, joint pain, and decreased range of motion. It can also increase the risk of injury and affect overall movement and performance. Therefore, it is essential to address any issues with equilibrium to maintain optimal musculoskeletal health.