1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalence mapping from integers to rationals

1. Feb 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let * and = be defined by a*b means a - b is an element of the integers and a = b means that a - b is an element of the rationals. Suppose there is a mapping P: (* equivalence classes over the real numbers) --> (= equivalence classes over the real numbers). show that this mapping is onto and well defined.

2. Relevant equations
    None.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm confused, wouldn't this mapping NOT be onto? I mean, if you take all the equivalence classes defined by * it couldn't cover all the equivalence classes covered by =, since = deals with rationals and * integers. Is this a misprint in the book or am I mistaken?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mistaken. If Z is the integers and Q is the rationals, then an equivalence class of * is a set of the form r+Z where r is a real number. An equivalence class of = is a set of the form s+Q where s is real. Can't you think of a sort of obvious way to map one onto the other? Then try and prove your map is well defined and onto. You can't really prove a map is anything until you define it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  4. Feb 6, 2015 #3
    Oh. right, Thanks dood u da best

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted