1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalence relation

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1
    Hi,

When I was just walking through the hallway of my department I found an exercise sheet asking the student to examine the following proof.

Assume [itex]R\subset M\times M[/itex] is a binary, symmetric, transitive relation. Then for any [itex]a,b \in M[/itex] with [itex]a\sim _R b[/itex] it follows by symmetry that [itex]b\sim _R a[/itex] and thus by transitivity that [itex]a\sim _R a[/itex] i.e. R is also reflexive and therefore an equivalence relation.

The exercise then asks to find the flaw in this argument (and give a counter example). To me the argument makes perfect sense...I am really ashamed, after all this is for first year students:smile:
    Can someone give a hint?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Pere Callahan! :smile:

But why should a ~ anything?

4. Nov 10, 2008 #3
    Oh, okay. Thanks tiny-tim!

Do you think that [itex]R=\{\}\subset\{0\}^2[/itex] would be a valid counter example?

5. Nov 10, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the relation defined by the empty set is trivially symmetric and transitive but not reflexive. Here's a less trivial example: let A= {a, b, c} and "~" be the relation {(b,b), (b,c), (c,b), (c,c)}. That is both symmetric and transitive but not reflexive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook