Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalence relation

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1
    Hi,

When I was just walking through the hallway of my department I found an exercise sheet asking the student to examine the following proof.

Assume [itex]R\subset M\times M[/itex] is a binary, symmetric, transitive relation. Then for any [itex]a,b \in M[/itex] with [itex]a\sim _R b[/itex] it follows by symmetry that [itex]b\sim _R a[/itex] and thus by transitivity that [itex]a\sim _R a[/itex] i.e. R is also reflexive and therefore an equivalence relation.

The exercise then asks to find the flaw in this argument (and give a counter example). To me the argument makes perfect sense...I am really ashamed, after all this is for first year students:smile:
    Can someone give a hint?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Pere Callahan! :smile:

But why should a ~ anything?

4. Nov 10, 2008 #3
    Oh, okay. Thanks tiny-tim!

Do you think that [itex]R=\{\}\subset\{0\}^2[/itex] would be a valid counter example?

5. Nov 10, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the relation defined by the empty set is trivially symmetric and transitive but not reflexive. Here's a less trivial example: let A= {a, b, c} and "~" be the relation {(b,b), (b,c), (c,b), (c,c)}. That is both symmetric and transitive but not reflexive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?