Equivalent Capacitance question

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find equivalent capacitance when capacitors are in series and in parallel. The person is confused about which capacitors are in series and which are in parallel. The book provides an answer of 6.71 picoferads for the equivalent capacitance. The solution involves finding the equivalent capacitance of C1 and C2 in series, and then treating it as a single capacitor in parallel with C3.
kankerfist
I have learned how to find equivalent capacitence when capacitors are in series and when they are in parallel, but I came across a problem where I'm confused about the capacitors:
confused.jpg

Normally I first find equivalent capacitence of parallel capacitors by adding them together. Then use the formula for finding the equivalent capacitence for capacitors in series. I am not sure exacty how to define the above capacitors though, which ones are parallel (able to be added together) and which ones are in series (inverses are able to be added together)?

The answer that my book provedes is: C eq = 6.71 picoferads

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
In this question I would find the equivalent capacitance of C1 and C2 (as they are in series) and combine them into a single capacitor (C4); and then treat it is as if C4 and C3 were two single capacitors in parallel. Does that make sense?

That does make sense! Thanks

kankerfist said:
That does make sense! Thanks
My pleasure.

1. What is equivalent capacitance?

Equivalent capacitance refers to the total capacitance of a circuit or system that is connected in parallel or series. It represents the combined effect of multiple individual capacitors.

2. Why is calculating equivalent capacitance important?

Calculating equivalent capacitance is important because it helps in understanding the overall behavior of a circuit. It allows for simplification of complex circuits, making it easier to analyze and design them.

3. How do you calculate equivalent capacitance in series?

To calculate equivalent capacitance in series, you add the reciprocals of each individual capacitance, and then take the reciprocal of the sum. In formula form, it can be written as:
1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + ... + 1/Cn

4. How do you calculate equivalent capacitance in parallel?

To calculate equivalent capacitance in parallel, you simply add the individual capacitance values. In formula form, it can be written as:
Ceq = C1 + C2 + ... + Cn

5. What is the difference between series and parallel equivalent capacitance?

The main difference between series and parallel equivalent capacitance is the way the individual capacitances are connected. In series, the capacitors are connected end-to-end, while in parallel, they are connected side-by-side. This difference also affects how the equivalent capacitance is calculated.