Equivalent circuit with resistors neither in series nor parallel

In summary, this student is not sure how to solve the problem and is looking for help. They have studied Kirchoff's current and voltage laws and know how to use the delta-Y conversion.
chollins

Homework Statement

all resistors have arbitrary values. the equivalent resistance needs be found between terminal a and b.

Homework Equations

I have not got a clue how to tackle this problem. as such there is no attempted solution either.

The Attempt at a Solution

any help would be great.
chollins

Attachments

• Visio-Question.pdf
    8.8 KB · Views: 752
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to solve a network?

Have you studied Kirchoff's current and voltage laws?

Have you studied the mesh, loop, or nodal methods for solving networks?

We would need to know how far your studies have gone to determine what method would work best for you.

The Electrician said:
Do you know how to solve a network?

Have you studied Kirchoff's current and voltage laws?

Have you studied the mesh, loop, or nodal methods for solving networks?

We would need to know how far your studies have gone to determine what method would work best for you.

I have done Kirchoff's current and voltage laws and their applications in mesh, loop and nodal analysis.

I'm not sure how they will help with this problem as it is an open-circuit resistance that is being calculated.

but i could be wrong of course.

thank you for your reply
chollins

What you have to do is to add a current source, supplying a current of 1 amp into node a; let node b be your reference node (ground).

Then solve the network for the voltage at node a. Knowing the current I into node a (1 amp) and the voltage V at node a, the equivalent resistance will be V/I.

Last edited:
yeah, makes sense. I will do it later today as right now i need to sleep.

thanks for the help.
chollins

A much simpler way, for me at least, is to use the delta-Y conversion. That way you can use the normal series and parallel connections, without having to resort to KCL and KVL.

1. What is an equivalent circuit?

An equivalent circuit is a simplified circuit that has the same electrical properties as a more complex circuit. It is used to simplify calculations and analysis of a circuit.

2. What is the difference between resistors in series and parallel?

In a series circuit, resistors are connected in a single path, while in a parallel circuit, resistors are connected in multiple paths. In a series circuit, the total resistance is the sum of all the resistors, while in a parallel circuit, the reciprocal of the total resistance is the sum of the reciprocals of each resistor.

3. Can resistors be neither in series nor parallel?

Yes, resistors can be connected in a combination of series and parallel. This is known as a complex circuit, and it requires more advanced techniques to analyze.

4. How do you calculate the total resistance in an equivalent circuit with resistors neither in series nor parallel?

To calculate the total resistance, you can use the Kirchhoff's laws or the voltage division and current division rules. These methods involve solving simultaneous equations to determine the total resistance.

5. Why is it important to simplify a complex circuit into an equivalent circuit?

Simplifying a complex circuit into an equivalent circuit allows for easier analysis and calculation of the circuit's properties. It also helps in identifying the important components and their contributions to the overall behavior of the circuit.