1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalent Norms =(

1. Jul 4, 2011 #1
    Prove that two norms ||.||1 and ||.||2 are equivalent if and only if there exist 2 constants c and k such that c*||x||1 <= ||x||2 <= k*||x||1 for all x in the concerned vector space V.

Attempt-> Equivalence implies a ball in norm 1 admits a ball in norm 2 and vice versa. For normed linear spaces, I know that B(x,r) = x + r*B(0,1).

So, a ball with respect to norm 1, B1(x,r), admits a ball in norm 2 with say radius 's'.

Using the normed linear space property, I can conclude that for a vector 'y' in V, if ||y||2 < s
    then ||y||1 < r.

I don't know where im going =(

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi Oster! :smile:

What is your definition of equivalent norms?

4. Jul 4, 2011 #3
    HI! I got it =D

My definition was that for every open ball with respect to norm 1, there existed an open ball w.r.t norm 2 contained in it and vice versaaaaaaa!

5. Jul 4, 2011 #4
    Converse was easy pffff.

6. Jul 4, 2011 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is the same as saying that a sequence converges in one norm if and only if it converges in the other.

7. Jul 4, 2011 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

In another thread last night you were studying the analogous result for equivalent metrics. This follows from that result, as the norm induces a metric.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook