Error Calc for Rabbit Feed Measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses the error in measuring the amount of feed given to rabbits in an experiment. The estimated error for each scoop is 10%, but the total error for 850 scoops is calculated to be only 0.34%. The equation for calculating the error for the sum of the sample is given, and it is mentioned that the actual error is likely greater than 0.34% due to systematic error. Suggestions for identifying and addressing systematic error are also discussed.
desquee
(Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question, I wasn't sure where to put it)

I've been running an experiment with rabbits, and am trying to figure out the error of my feed measurement.
I fed them using a 1/3 cup measure, and recorded the number of scoops they got. I estimated that the error for each individual scoop is 10%. If I then want to determine the error of the total amount of feed (850 scoops), would that also be 10%?

Intuitively that seems too high, since it's incredible unlikely that every single scoop was high by 10% (or low by 10%). In fact, I can say for sure that some scoops were high (over 1/3 cup) and some were low (under 1/3 cup), so that its impossible for the total feed to be off by 10%.

Is there a way of more accurately calculating the error?

Physics news on Phys.org
A good approximation to the error (assuming independent errors) is [itex]\frac{10}{\sqrt{850}}[/itex] %.

Thanks mathman. That comes to 0.34%. I want to better understand how that equation is derived, do you by any chance have a link to an explanation?

OK, so reading that, it looks like the equation given by mathman is for the std of the mean of the sample. But what I'm trying to figure out is the std of the sum of the sample, and I don't see that the link explains how to do that.

desquee said:
OK, so reading that, it looks like the equation given by mathman is for the std of the mean of the sample. But what I'm trying to figure out is the std of the sum of the sample, and I don't see that the link explains how to do that.
The std of the sum of the sample is equal to
the std of the mean of the sample times the sample size.

sigma_sum = n * sigma_samplemean

Since you are using percentages, you divide n * sigma_samplemean by n to get the percentage.

n/n = 1.

Voila! sigma_sum% = sigma_samplemean%

It is worth mentioning that your actual error is in all likelyhood greater than 0.34%. I'd bet that you have systematic error that is greater than this unsystematic error.

Last edited:
Likes desquee
desquee said:
Thanks mathman. That comes to 0.34%. I want to better understand how that equation is derived, do you by any chance have a link to an explanation?
The variance of the sum of independent random variables is the sum of the variances.

Proof:
Let [itex](X_k, k=1,n)[/itex] be a set of n independent random variables, each mean [itex]=m_k[/itex]. Let [itex] Y_k=X_k-m_k [/itex]. The variance of the sum is [itex]E((\sum_{k=1}^{n}Y_k)^2)=\sum_{k=1}^{n}E(Y_k^2)+\sum_{k=1}^{n}\sum_{j\ne k}E(Y_jY_k)[/itex]. However, due to independence, the [itex]E(Y_kY_j)=0 \ for \ j\ne k[/itex]. Therefore the variance of the sum is the sum of the variances.

Last edited:
Likes desquee
Hornbein: What sort of systemic errors should I be looking for? The feeding method was: fill scoop from feed bucket, pour feed from scoop into feeding container in cage, count the number of scoops I added. And the number I'm interested in is the total amount of feed I gave to the rabbits (so feed that gets knocked out of the cage by the rabbits still counts).

I'm just now learning how to work with errors, so any advice on what to be looking for would be helpful.

desquee said:
Hornbein: What sort of systemic errors should I be looking for? The feeding method was: fill scoop from feed bucket, pour feed from scoop into feeding container in cage, count the number of scoops I added. And the number I'm interested in is the total amount of feed I gave to the rabbits (so feed that gets knocked out of the cage by the rabbits still counts).

I'm just now learning how to work with errors, so any advice on what to be looking for would be helpful.
Oh, you likely tend to add a little over or a little under a third cup. I bet that that tendency is greater than 1%.

Likes desquee
Hornbein said:
Oh, you likely tend to add a little over or a little under a third cup. I bet that that tendency is greater than 1%.

My original assumption is that the error for each scoop was 10%, from which the 0.34% for 850 scoops was calculated. Was that 1% a typo and you meant to say that you bet the tendency is greater than 10%?

You were right Hornbein. I just tried measured the greatest likely error of a scoop. I measured the weight of exactly 1/3 cup of feed (or as exact as I could make it given that the feed was solid). Then I took a scoop as overflowing as it could be without feed falling out, removed the excess, and weighed that. Then I took a scoop as under-full as it could be without being so empty that it would have induced me to notice and refill it, and measured the weight of the feed I added to bring it up to 1/3 cup. The result was an error of 35% (say 40% given the slight error in my attempt to make the scoop to exactly full).

Even with a 40% error for each scoop the error for the sum of 850 scoops is only around 18.5 scoops, or 2.18%.

desquee said:
My original assumption is that the error for each scoop was 10%, from which the 0.34% for 850 scoops was calculated. Was that 1% a typo and you meant to say that you bet the tendency is greater than 10%?

Not a typo. I'm saying that I bet you systematic error makes this sampling error insignificant. 1 > .34. I doubt that you measure so badly that your systematic error is greater than 10%.

1. What is "Error Calc for Rabbit Feed Measurement"?

"Error Calc for Rabbit Feed Measurement" is a scientific method used to determine the margin of error or uncertainty when measuring the nutritional content of rabbit feed. It takes into account various factors such as human error, equipment precision, and sample size to provide a more accurate and reliable measurement.

2. Why is it important to calculate error for rabbit feed measurement?

Calculating error for rabbit feed measurement is crucial because it ensures that the nutritional content of the feed is accurately determined. This is important for the health and well-being of rabbits, as their diet is a major factor in their growth and development. Additionally, precise measurements can help farmers and researchers make informed decisions about feed formulation and nutrient requirements.

3. How is error calculated for rabbit feed measurement?

Error calculation for rabbit feed measurement involves collecting multiple samples of the feed and measuring their nutritional content. The average value is then compared to the accepted or known value, and the difference between the two is calculated as the error. This error is expressed as a percentage or a margin of error.

4. What factors can contribute to error in rabbit feed measurement?

There are several factors that can contribute to error in rabbit feed measurement, including human error, equipment error, and sample size. Human error can occur during the collection and handling of samples, while equipment error can be caused by imprecise measuring instruments. Sample size can also affect the accuracy of the measurement, as a larger sample size can help reduce the margin of error.

5. How can error in rabbit feed measurement be minimized?

To minimize error in rabbit feed measurement, it is important to follow proper sampling and measuring techniques. This includes taking multiple samples and using precise measuring instruments. It is also crucial to record all data accurately and to use statistical methods to analyze the results. Additionally, regular calibration of equipment and verification of results through repeated measurements can help reduce error.