Error propagation question - when do we combine repeated measurements?

In summary, taking the average of the errors is the most "sound" way of calculating something statistically.
mikeph
Hi,

say I measure something ten times and get x+d1x, x+dx2, ... where dx1, dx2.. are the measurement errors.

Now, say I want to calculate something from these measurements according to:

A = B(C(x)),

Where A is what I want, and B and C are known functions.

Which is statistically the most "sound" way of calculating it?

take the average of the errors, then find B(C(avg))?
take C(x) then take the average and then find B(avg)?
take A(B(x)) of each measurement, then average the result?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you assume a Gaussian distribution, have small relative errors and B and C are not completely weird, you can propage the relative uncertainty through your functions with Gaussian error propagation (i. e. see how A changes if x changes a little bit, and multiply with your uncertainty).
If those assumptions are bad (or if you just have 10 measurements), you can calculate A for all measurements, and do the analysis on A only.

MikeyW said:
Which is statistically the most "sound" way of calculating it?
You didn't say what "it" is. It appears you want to estimate the mean value of B(C(x)).

The mathematically exact way to compute the usual estimator of the mean of B(C(x)) is:
take B(C(x)) of each measurement, then average the result
(You meant to say "B(C(x))" instead of "A(B(x))" )

If B and C are linear functions (such as B(w) = 3w + 2 , C(y) = 6y - 4 ) then you will get the same result as above by using the other two methods:

take the average of the errors, then find B(C(avg))
take C(x) then take the average and then find B(avg)

If B and C are differentiable functions and the errors dx are small enough so that they are well approximated by the linear functions defined by their tangent lines in the vicinity of x, you will get approximately the same answer from all 3 methods. On the other hand if the curvature of B and C is "large" over distances that are typical of your measurement errors, the latter two methods should not be used.

That's the story if the goal is "Estimate the mean value of B(C(x))?" If the question is "Estimate the value of B(C(w)) evaluated at w = the mean of x?" then B(C(avg)) seems like the natural answer. So it's important that you ask a specific question. Say what you are trying to estimate.

That's a good question, I don't know exactly what I want. The data is noisy, so I'd like to get a result that's closest to the noiseless case. What's confusing me is that I thought taking the average and then doing the analysis would give the best result, but it doesn't.

B and C: both non-linear, non-analytic and I'd afraid I'm not 100% certain that they're continuous, but they are deterministic. They're non-linear regression fit parameters, but they do tend to amplify "seemingly" random errors in the data.

I suppose the trade off lies between having a value of A that is due to a single smaller-error measurement, or an average of As due to many larger-error measurements, and the fact that A is not necessarily continuous might mean the latter is a better option...

It sounds like you are doing a curve fit of some kind. If that's the case you should explain the details. Your original question seems irrelevant to doing a curve fit.

Related to Error propagation question - when do we combine repeated measurements?

1. What is error propagation and why is it important in scientific measurements?

Error propagation is the process of determining the effect of uncertainties in input quantities on the calculated result of a measurement. It is important because it allows us to understand and quantify the accuracy and reliability of our measurements, and to make informed decisions based on these uncertainties.

2. When should we combine repeated measurements to account for error propagation?

Repeated measurements should be combined when the same quantity is being measured multiple times in order to determine its true value. This allows for a more accurate and precise calculation of the value, taking into account the uncertainties of each individual measurement.

3. How do we combine repeated measurements to account for error propagation?

There are several methods for combining repeated measurements, including averaging, weighted averaging, and using standard deviation. These methods take into account the individual uncertainties and give a more accurate representation of the true value.

4. What are the sources of error in scientific measurements?

There are several sources of error in scientific measurements, including instrument error, human error, environmental conditions, and inherent variability of the phenomenon being measured. It is important to identify and account for these sources of error in order to minimize their impact on the results.

5. How can we minimize error propagation in scientific measurements?

There are several ways to minimize error propagation in scientific measurements. These include using more precise instruments, taking multiple measurements, and ensuring proper calibration and maintenance of equipment. Additionally, it is important to carefully design experiments and control for external factors that may contribute to errors.