Error Propagation with Log2 Concentration: Fluorescence Measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses reporting measurements of fluorescence in a titration experiment and how to perform error propagation calculations. It is advised to report the measured values and their uncertainties and use the appropriate units in calculations. Percent differences may differ when using different units, as not all functions preserve ratios.
PhysicsInquirer
Hi there,

I have a quick question to report some numbers on an experiment. I made measurements of fluorescence in a titration of a chemical. The titrations were 1:2 serial dilutions so I report each fluorescence as a function of the log2 concentration:

concentration chemical x: 1 , 0.5, 0.25
reported concentration chemical x (log2): 0, -1,-2
fluorescence measurement: 5, 10, 25

I’m interested in reporting the concentrations of a chemical that lead to a specific fluorescence. So, let’s say I want to report when the fluorescence reaches 10, in this case that would be -1.

So keeping that in mind: When I make error propagation calculations should I use the log2 or the linear measurements?

Sometimes I need to interpolate to get the reported concentrations. For instance, when I want to get the concentration that leads to fluorescence 15. Does that change anything for the calculations?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.

It depends on context.

Generically, you should report what you measured, and the error in your measurement. If you measured x then you should report x and the error in x. If you measured log2 of x, then you should report log2 of x and the error in log2 of x.

If you are calculating something based on the concentration, then if you are using x in the calculation you should use the uncertainty in x. If you are using log2 of x in the calculation, then you should use the error in log2 of x.

Does this help?

Thanks for your reply. So if I understand correctly, as long as I don't mix logs and linear measurements I should be all set for what I'm reporting.

I'm still a confused though when I want to compute different metrics, like the error propagation or the percent difference ( i.e. , difference/average)

So for instance if I have the following replicate measurements and I want to compute the percent difference:

Replicate 1: 0.0625
Replicate 2: 0.0725

Replicate 1 in log2: -4
Replicate 2 in log2: -3.7859Percent difference in linear: (0.0725-0.0625) / ( (0.0725+0.0625)/2)=
=0.1481
=14.8%

Percent difference in log2: abs(-4-(-3.7859))/((-4+-3.7859)/2)
=0.0550
=5.5%

Why are these two numbers different when I'm reporting a percentage? Shouldn't this percentage be the same since I'm only changing the base but not the values of the measurements?

Thanks again!

Non-constant functions do not, in general, preserve ratios, e.g., : ## \sqrt {\frac {81}{4}}=4.5 \neq \frac {81}{4}=20.25 ##. I think this has to see with the derivative of these functions not being constant, i.e., only when the function ##f ##, as below, is linear.

Basically, few functions preserve ratios, i.e., few functions satisfy:

## \frac {a}{b}=\frac {f(a)}{f(b)} ####

Last edited:
Oh yes, this makes a lot of sense. Thank you WWGD

What is error propagation in scientific measurements?

Error propagation is the process of quantifying and predicting the uncertainty or error in a final measurement or calculation based on the uncertainties in the individual components or variables involved in the measurement.

Why is error propagation important in fluorescence measurements?

Fluorescence measurements often involve multiple steps and variables, such as sample preparation, instrument calibration, and data analysis. Error propagation allows scientists to understand how errors in each step can affect the final measurement and ensure the accuracy and reliability of their results.

How is error propagation calculated for log2 concentration in fluorescence measurements?

Error propagation for log2 concentration in fluorescence measurements involves using the formula σy = |∂y/∂x| * σx, where σy is the uncertainty in the final measurement, ∂y/∂x is the partial derivative of the measurement with respect to the individual variables involved, and σx is the uncertainty in each variable.

What are some common sources of error in fluorescence measurements?

Some common sources of error in fluorescence measurements include instrument drift or malfunction, sample contamination or impurities, human error in sample preparation and data analysis, and variations in environmental conditions.

How can error propagation be minimized in fluorescence measurements?

Error propagation can be minimized in fluorescence measurements by using high-quality instruments and materials, carefully following standardized protocols and procedures, conducting multiple replicates, and analyzing data with appropriate statistical methods.