Esacpe speed - energy required

In summary, a space probe is launched from the equator with an initial energy of E=(3GMm/R). The minimum kinetic energy needed for it to escape Earth's gravitational field is -GMm/R. However, despite having three times the minimum energy, the space probe will not be able to travel into deep space. This could be due to the gravitational field of the sun also affecting its trajectory. Further calculations may be needed to determine its actual path.
confused200

Homework Statement

A space probe is launched from the equator in the direction of the north pole of the Earth. During launch the energy given to the probe of mass m is

E=(3GMm/R)

Deduce that the Space probe will not be able to travel into deep space

Homework Equations

Minimum KE needed = - GMm/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that if minimum KE was as above then having three times that would mean that it would escape but the answer is that it won't so I'm puzzled? How do I deduce that it won't escape if it has 3 times the energy E=(3GMm/R)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Should it have a negative sign in front of it, I remember something bout infinity? Please help!

confused200 said:

Homework Statement

A space probe is launched from the equator in the direction of the north pole of the Earth. During launch the energy given to the probe of mass m is

E=(3GMm/R)

Deduce that the Space probe will not be able to travel into deep space

Homework Equations

Minimum KE needed = - GMm/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that if minimum KE was as above then having three times that would mean that it would escape but the answer is that it won't so I'm puzzled? How do I deduce that it won't escape if it has 3 times the energy E=(3GMm/R)

hmm. You're right, that the probe should be able to completely escape from the Earth's gravitational field... Maybe you are also supposed to take into account the gravitational field from the sun?...

1. What is escape speed?

Escape speed is the minimum speed required for an object to break free from the gravitational pull of a celestial body, such as a planet or moon.

2. How is escape speed calculated?

Escape speed is calculated using the formula: v = √(2GM/r), where v is the escape speed, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the celestial body, and r is the distance from the center of the body to the object's starting point.

3. Does the escape speed vary for different celestial bodies?

Yes, the escape speed varies depending on the mass and size of the celestial body. For example, the escape speed on Earth is about 11.2 km/s, while on the moon it is only 2.4 km/s.

4. What energy is required to reach escape speed?

The energy required to reach escape speed is known as kinetic energy and is calculated using the formula: E = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the escape speed.

5. How does escape speed relate to space travel?

Escape speed is an important factor in space travel as it determines the speed and energy required for a spacecraft to leave the gravitational pull of a celestial body and travel to another. It also helps in determining the trajectory and fuel requirements for a successful journey.