Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Establishing linearity in laplace's equation with no closed-form solution

1. Aug 16, 2010 #1
    I'm writing a paper, and as a motivation to the forthcoming finite element modeling, I want to state, with some sort of "proof" that Laplace's equation in a heterogeneous volume:

\del (sigma \del V) = 0

exhibits linearity.

By "linearity", I mean that if a set of initial conditions (call them I_1) lead to solution V_1, and another set of initial conditions (call them I_2) lead to solution V_2, then the solution to the equation with initial conditions I_1+I_2 is V_1+V_2.

But I cannot do so in a straightforward manner because there is no closed-form solution which relates V_1 to I_1, for example. Is it enough just to say that Laplace's equation is linear and thus obeys superposition to initial conditions? I would like to make my claim more convincing.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted