Estimate mass of neutrino given distance & KE

In summary, a supernova 1.54\times10^21 m away was detected by a neutrino detector on Earth, with two neutrinos detected 10 seconds apart. The first neutrino had a kinetic energy of 30 MeV and the second had a kinetic energy of 10 MeV. To find the upper bound of the mass of a neutrino, the approximations that the Lorentz factor is large and the first neutrino travels at the speed of light can be used. Using these approximations and equations such as Lorentz transformations, length contraction/time dilation equations, relativistic kinetic energy, and the velocity formula, it can be determined that the length each particle feels it traveled is three times longer for the
hb1547

Homework Statement

A supernova [tex]1.54\times10^21 m[/tex] away sends out neutrinos, and a detector on Earth detects two, ten seconds apart. The first one (A) that comes has a kinetic energy of 30 MeV, the second (B) has a kinetic energy of 10 MeV.

Using this, I'm supposed to come up with an upper bound of the mass of a neutrino.

Approximations I can make:
- [tex]\gamma[/tex] is large
- The first particle travels at c

Homework Equations

- Lorentz transformations
- Length contraction/time dilation equations
- Relativistic kinetic energy
- Velocity formula

The Attempt at a Solution

Things I know:
- [tex]E_{A} = 3 E_{B}[/tex], so [tex]\gamma_{A} = 3 \gamma_{B}[/tex] too. This also implies that the length each particle feels it traveled (due to length contraction) is: [tex]L_{B} = 3 L_{A}[/tex].

I've tried using the approx. that the velocity of the second is c to come up with the time it took the particle to travel to reach Earth. Then, using t+10, I tried to get a velocity for the second particle. However, t ~ 5.13*10^12, so adding 10 seconds means that my computer's precision isn't high enough to give me useful answers, so I can't use that velocity to find Gamma, so I can't plug that into my energy equation and solve for the mass.

I've tried lots of random algebra hoping to get something simpler, but most of it just results in circular thinking that gets me nowhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I don't know what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Related to Estimate mass of neutrino given distance & KE

1. What is the relationship between the distance and the estimated mass of a neutrino?

The estimated mass of a neutrino is inversely proportional to the distance it has traveled. This means that the farther a neutrino has traveled, the smaller its estimated mass will be.

2. How does the kinetic energy (KE) of a neutrino affect its estimated mass?

The kinetic energy of a neutrino is directly proportional to its estimated mass. This means that the higher the KE of a neutrino, the larger its estimated mass will be.

3. Can the distance and KE of a neutrino be used to accurately determine its mass?

No, the distance and KE of a neutrino can only provide an estimate of its mass. Other factors such as the angle of detection and uncertainties in the measurement can affect the accuracy of the estimated mass.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the estimated mass of a neutrino?

The estimated mass of a neutrino is usually measured in electron volts (eV) or kilograms (kg).

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the estimated mass of a neutrino?

Yes, the estimated mass of a neutrino can also be affected by its flavor, which is determined by its interaction with other particles. The flavor of a neutrino can change as it travels, which can in turn affect its estimated mass.