Estimate the central temperature of the Sun

In summary, the student is trying to solve for the luminosity at various distances from the center of the sun. However, they are getting stuck on the last bit of the problem.
Lengalicious

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=57219&stc=1&d=1364507315.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm only stuck on part b). I make a) to be 3.87E26 W, but it gives that anyway in part b). OK, so here's my attempt:

[tex]\int_{r=0}^{r=R}dT(r)T(r)^3 = -\frac{3L(r)}{16\pi acl_{mfp}}\int_{r=0}^{r=R}dr\frac{1}{r^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{T(r)^4}{4}|^{r=R}_{r=0} \sim \frac{T(r)^4_{centre}}{4}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{T(r)^4_{centre}}{4}\sim-\frac{3L(r)}{16\pi acl_{mfp}}[-\frac{1}{r}]^{r=R}_{r=0}[/tex]

OK, so am I on the right lines? If so, this is where I get stuck. The last bit of the R.H.S ends up having a 1/0 once evaluated. Any help would be great :). Also I wasn't sure about the L(r). Isn't the luminosity constant at all r? I guess L being a function of r suggests the contrary. :S

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 773
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The luminosity can't be constant at all r, because in the core energy is being produced. L(r) is the total power radiated from inside r, so it has to go to zero at r=0. You need to estimate the size of the core and make a guess at the functional form of L(r) inside the core, then you can assume L(r) is constant outside the core.

Ok I was initially under the impression that was the solution, but then why would the question supply me with the solar luminosity if I integrate over the functional form?

You still need to know the total luminosity, since this normalizes the functional form of L(r). Try setting up the problem and you'll see.

ok so after saying [tex]L(r)=4\pi r^2F_\odot[/tex]

[tex] \frac{-T^4_{centre}}{4}=-\frac{3}{16\pi acl_{mfp}}\int_{r=0}^{r=R_\odot}dr\frac{4\pi r^2F_\odot}{r^2} [/tex]

[tex]\frac{-T^4_{centre}}{4}=-\frac{3(4\pi R_\odot F_\odot)}{16\pi acl_{mfp}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-T^4_{centre}}{4}=-\frac{3(\frac{L_\odot}{R_\odot})}{16\pi acl_{mfp}}[/tex]

Is this right, or?

No. This assumes that L(r) increases steadily from r=0 to r=Rsun. In fact, only a small region in the core of the sun is generating energy, so you should try something like:

L = K * r^2 r < Rcore
L = Lsun Rcore < r < Rsun

You'll need to estimate Rcore, then calculate K, then integrate.

1. What is the central temperature of the Sun?

The estimated central temperature of the Sun is approximately 15.6 million Kelvin (K) or 28.1 million degrees Fahrenheit (°F).

2. How is the central temperature of the Sun estimated?

The central temperature of the Sun is estimated using a combination of observational data, theoretical models, and mathematical equations. Scientists use measurements of the Sun's luminosity, mass, and radius to calculate the central temperature.

3. Why is it important to know the central temperature of the Sun?

Knowing the central temperature of the Sun allows scientists to better understand the processes that occur within the Sun, such as nuclear fusion, and how it affects the Sun's energy output and lifespan. It also provides insight into the evolution and characteristics of other stars in the universe.

4. Has the estimated central temperature of the Sun changed over time?

Yes, the estimated central temperature of the Sun has changed as our understanding of the Sun and advancements in technology have improved. In the 1800s, the estimated central temperature was believed to be around 3,000 K, but it has since been revised to its current estimate of 15.6 million K.

5. Can the central temperature of the Sun be measured directly?

No, the central temperature of the Sun cannot be measured directly. Due to the extreme conditions at the Sun's core, it is impossible for any probes or instruments to reach and withstand those temperatures. Therefore, scientists rely on indirect methods to estimate the central temperature.