Estimating area under a curve in log scale

In summary, the student is trying to estimate the area under a curve and is having difficulty. He or she has tried a general estimation but comes up with inconsistent answers. He or she has also searched for a method to estimate area in the log-log space. Finally, he or she is completely stuck.
matan100

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I'm stuck on this question in exam revision:
I need to estimate the area under the following curves (I don't have the equations of the curves)
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/3249/question.jpg

The curves are magnitude diagrams in the log-log scale.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a general estimation (using rectangles and trapezoids) treating it as a linear graph but I come up with inconsistent answers. I've searched everywhere looking for a method to estimate area in the log-log space.

I'm completely stumped. Thanks for the help
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean the area under the curves as shown in the graph? You need a proper description of the region whose area you want. For example, it might be "For each function, find the area of the region bounded by the graph of the function and the x-axis, between x = 10-3 and x = 102.

I would estimate each area using vertical rectangular strips. You could use trapezoids, but it would be a bit more work. For each rectangular strip you need the rectangle's height and width. You can read the height from the function's graph, and the width of each strip varies as x increases from left to right. For example, between x = 10-3 and x = 10-2, each tickmark is 1/1000 or .001. Between x = 10-2 and x = 10-1, each tickmark is 1/100 or .01.

Print the image on two pieces of paper, cut out the paper under each curve down to the X-axis and weigh each piece.

Cut a third piece of paper along the X-axis, along the right and left edges of the graphed area, and along the 10^0 horizontal line to give you a reference weight. You'll have to consider how to account for the log scales.

If you don't have a sufficiently sensitive scale, paste the images on cardboard before cutting.

A really quick estimate would be given if divide each area into simple shapesy sum up the individual areas of them. I did a quick outline (really quick) of the solid curve. The red lines are the estimates. The more time you put into it the better the estimate.

Screenshot2010-06-11at123841PM.png

The x-axis is arbitrary on a log scale. The area is infinite. It's a trick question :tongue2:

You can also ignore anything below 10^-2 because this is less than 1 % of the peak value.
Given the other errors, 1% is an unlikely precision.

Especially concentrate on that peak at the top. Try to get that right because the values in there are much higher than the rest of the graph and so the errors would be greatest there also.

Redraw the graph converting both scales to linear values, otherwise you can't take rectangles and calculate areas.

1. What is the purpose of estimating area under a curve in log scale?

The purpose of estimating area under a curve in log scale is to better understand the relationship between the independent and dependent variables in a data set. By using a log scale, the curve is transformed into a straight line, making it easier to visualize and analyze the data.

2. How is the area under a curve in log scale calculated?

To calculate the area under a curve in log scale, the curve is first transformed into a straight line by taking the logarithm of the data. The area is then calculated using the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, just like in regular scale. However, the calculations are done using the transformed data instead.

3. What are the benefits of estimating area under a curve in log scale?

Estimating area under a curve in log scale allows for easier visualization and analysis of data, particularly when the data has a wide range of values. It also helps to identify patterns and trends that may not be as apparent in regular scale. Additionally, using a log scale can reduce the influence of outliers on the data.

4. Are there any limitations to estimating area under a curve in log scale?

One limitation of estimating area under a curve in log scale is that it may not accurately represent the true relationship between the variables in some cases. This is because taking the logarithm of the data can distort the values, particularly if the data contains negative values. It is also important to note that interpreting the results of log scale data may require some additional knowledge and understanding.

5. How can the accuracy of estimating area under a curve in log scale be improved?

To improve the accuracy of estimating area under a curve in log scale, it is important to carefully consider the data and its distribution before deciding to use a logarithmic transformation. Additionally, using more advanced techniques such as non-linear regression or using a larger number of data points can also help to improve accuracy. It is also recommended to consult with a statistician or data analyst for guidance on the best approach for a specific data set.