Estimating Henrys Law constant C02

In summary, to estimate the Henry's constant for CO2 at -10 and 60 degrees, the best approach would be to fit the data to the equation k(T) = k(T0)exp(-k1/T + k2) and use the values of k(T0), k1, and k2 as given. Then, use polynomial trendlines to calculate the Henry's constant, which is represented on the x-axis of the graph.
febbie22
I was given the table below all i want to do is estimate the Henry's constant at -10 and 60 degrees. Just wondering the best way to go about this.

Would it be to take the log of the graph and add a treadline?

HENRY’S LAW CONSTANT FOR CO2

TEMPERATURE (0C)
HENRY’S LAW CONSTANT (Kh/10,000, atm)​
0.073​
0.104​
0.142​
0.186​

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should fit your data to theory:

k(T) = k(T0)exp(-k1/T + k2)

where k(T0) ~ 0.142
k1 ~ 2400 for CO2
k2 ~ k1/T0

I would set k1 and k2 to the above values exactly and then fit the data for k(T0) only, but maybe that would probably be cheating.

I think i have to do the log of the graph then use quadratics and polynomials to compare and conclude. Does anyone know how i can use polynomial treadlined graphs to calculate the henry's constant which is in the x axis.

1. What is Henry's Law constant for CO2?

Henry's Law constant for CO2 is a dimensionless quantity that represents the equilibrium ratio of the concentration of CO2 in a gas phase to the concentration of CO2 in a liquid phase at a specific temperature and pressure.

2. How is Henry's Law constant for CO2 determined?

Henry's Law constant for CO2 can be determined experimentally by measuring the concentration of CO2 in both the gas and liquid phases at different temperatures and pressures, and then using the data to calculate the equilibrium ratio.

3. What factors can affect the value of Henry's Law constant for CO2?

The value of Henry's Law constant for CO2 can be affected by temperature, pressure, and the nature of the liquid and gas phases. It can also vary depending on the specific conditions of the system, such as the presence of other dissolved substances.

4. Why is Henry's Law constant for CO2 important?

Henry's Law constant for CO2 is important because it helps us understand the behavior and transport of carbon dioxide in various environments, such as in the atmosphere and in bodies of water. It also plays a key role in processes such as carbon sequestration and ocean acidification.

5. Can Henry's Law constant for CO2 be used to predict the solubility of other gases?

Yes, Henry's Law constant for CO2 can be used to predict the solubility of other gases in a liquid at a specific temperature and pressure, as long as the gases have similar molecular properties.