Eternal universe vs finite life of stars

In summary, most astronomers and physicists of the early 20th century believed in the Steady State Theory, which proposed that the universe always existed without a beginning. They reconciled this idea with the finite lives of stars by following Boltzmann's theory of statistical recurrence, which suggested that high energy configurations would spontaneously regenerate given enough time. However, this issue was often seen as a problem for the far future and not something that needed to be addressed at the time.
Thecla
I heard on a recent podcast that most astronomers and physicists of the early 20 th century, if they thought about it at all, believed that the universe always existed, i. e. it had no beginning. Even Einstein accepted the Steady State Theory, along with many others.
How did these astonomers and physicists reconcile their idea of the eternal universe with the finite lives of stars? Did they think that stars grew old , died, and regenerated themselves?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
My guess: they didn't think about it. In the early part of the 20th century most astronomers thought that the entire universe consisted of the milky way and the nearby stars (which are in the milky way).

Thecla said:
I heard on a recent podcast that most astronomers and physicists of the early 20 th century, if they thought about it at all, believed that the universe always existed, i. e. it had no beginning. Even Einstein accepted the Steady State Theory, along with many others.
How did these astonomers and physicists reconcile their idea of the eternal universe with the finite lives of stars? Did they think that stars grew old , died, and regenerated themselves?

They generally followed Boltzmann's idea of statistical recurrance - that, given endless time, high energy configurations would spontaneously be regenerated. When they had to give an answer.

Related to Eternal universe vs finite life of stars

1. What is the difference between an eternal universe and a finite life of stars?

An eternal universe refers to the concept that the universe has always existed and will continue to exist forever. On the other hand, a finite life of stars refers to the idea that stars have a limited lifespan and will eventually die out.

2. How do scientists determine the age of the universe?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the age of the universe, including measuring the expansion rate of the universe, studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, and analyzing the composition of old stars.

3. Can a star's life cycle be extended?

Yes, a star's life cycle can be extended through processes such as merging with another star or accreting material from a companion star. However, these processes only delay the inevitable death of the star.

4. What evidence supports the theory of an eternal universe?

Some evidence that supports the theory of an eternal universe includes the observation of distant galaxies and the cosmic microwave background radiation, which suggest that the universe has been expanding for billions of years. Additionally, the laws of physics also support the idea of an eternal universe.

5. How does the lifespan of a star affect the existence of life on other planets?

The lifespan of a star can greatly influence the existence of life on other planets. For example, a star with a short lifespan may not provide enough time for complex life forms to evolve. On the other hand, a star with a longer lifespan may increase the chances of life developing on a planet within its habitable zone.