Ethics on approaching professors for masters

In summary, The conversation discusses the proper approach for approaching a professor for a potential research director for a Master's program. The suggested approach is to research the professors' profiles and eliminate those not working on desired topics. Then, to send an email requesting an appointment and arrive on time. The recommended attitude is to confidently ask about the professor's research and how it aligns with the student's interests, rather than groveling or pretending to be interested in something just to please the professor. It is also advised to have some prior experience or knowledge in the field being discussed. The speaker shares their personal experience of not following traditional etiquette, but still being successful in their meetings with professors. Ultimately, the key is to remember that professors are regular people
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi folks,

It seems like time has come for me to hunt a master's director and I wish to understand what the correct social dynamics is for approaching a professor before I go in a screw it up.

Tell me if this makes sense.

I look at the professors' profiles and eliminate those who are working on things I am sure I don't want to be a part of. To those that remain, I send an email asking for an appointment. I go to the appointment and I don't arrive late. This is when I'm unsure about the attitude to take. Is it appropriate to simply ask them to talk to me about what they are working on and ask them what is it I'd be doing if they were my research directors? Or is this a completely wrong attitude and I'm supposed to go there with my head down and ask them to mercifully accept the donation of my soul for whatever might amuse them (minus the metaphors).

Anyway, I'd appreciate ANY advice any of you could give me regarding all this procedure, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would go in knowing what you want to come out with. I took a fluid course with one of my professors. He asked me if I wanted to work with him and a group of 10 other students he thought were really good on a semester long project that would be entered into a competition. I told him I appreciate the offer, but I am not interested in that area of study. When I applied for graduate school, I asked him for a letter of recomendation and he was more than happy to.

That being said, I don't dance around what I want. I just ask for it.

Another example, I walked into the director of graduate studies office and asked him a few questions about applying for a Masters. I told him what I am currently doing at work and asked what the school is doing in that area. The next day he sent me an email asking me to work with him in the summer...so I went back to his office and asked him what he was going to offer me for pay. Turns out he can only pay me half of what I get someplace else. So I told him, your not offering much pay, can you give me more? He told me what the limit is on the pay. When summer comes around, I am going to ask that he pay me the maximum amount of money possible.

I didnt walk in there with my head down, I just walked in and asked questions that shows I know what I am talking about. If you just go in there and say, I really like x,y and z but have no experience with it, prepare to be wait listed.

So, Id say make sure you have something you can say you've actually done and you will be gold.

Although, I usually don't do anything by the book...heh. I didnt even make an appointment with him. BUT by and large people don't give a rats if you make an appointment, come in with a tie, and put on a smile if you have nothing to show. My favorite thing to do is go to career fairs in my regular clothes and just talk to the people there and show them I know what I am talking about. Then they ask for a resume, dispite the fact I am there like a bum and everyone else is in a suit, and I tell them I don't have one on me. :rofl: Then they give me their cards and crap. I just take them and walk away and throw them in trash. I just do it every time I'm there with my friend to show him that having a suit and all that other crap is meaningless.

Last edited:
This is when I'm unsure about the attitude to take. Is it appropriate to simply ask them to talk to me about what they are working on and ask them what is it I'd be doing if they were my research directors? Or is this a completely wrong attitude and I'm supposed to go there with my head down and ask them to mercifully accept the donation of my soul for whatever might amuse them (minus the metaphors).

Anyway, I'd appreciate ANY advice any of you could give me regarding all this procedure, thanks!

I don't know what stage exactly you're at, but I've just been through this sort of process as an undergrad looking at schools for next year. I must admit that I didn't do much research on proper etiquette before my meetings with professors, so my experiences might be a little skewed! However, I did ask everyone I met with what they were working on. Everyone seemed very happy to go into some detail (well, as much as a 30-60min. meeting permits) as to their research and current projects. In retrospect, some of them seemed a little taken-aback at the question but certainly no one voiced any objections. All of my meetings were very informal and it was more of a "let's see if we get along" sort of thing (though in a meeting with one department chair, I was offered the chance to teach a course next year on the spot). No grovelling involved so far (though I'm sure it's to come)! :smile:

Last edited:
Your professors are regular people, no need to feel so intimidated by them. Give them a certain amount of respect, yes, but no need to kiss arse.

Once you've picked out professors working on things that interest you, send them an email. Something simple like this will probably do:

email message said:
Hello Professor X,
My name is quasar987 and I am a Masters student here at Y University. I will be signing up for research credits soon and so I have been browsing research pages to find projects that interest me. I am interested in your area and I am wondering if you have any openings in your group. If so, could we schedule a meeting so that we could discuss possibilities? I am free MWF 12-1 and TR 10-12.
Thank You,
quasar987

Tweak to your needs ;)

Good luck!

1. How should I approach a professor to express interest in their masters program?

It is important to approach a professor professionally and respectfully. Start by researching the professor's background and areas of expertise to ensure that their program aligns with your interests. Then, craft a polite and concise email or letter expressing your interest and qualifications. Be sure to proofread for any errors and follow any specific guidelines or requirements set by the professor.

2. Is it acceptable to contact multiple professors for a masters program?

Yes, it is acceptable to reach out to multiple professors for a masters program. However, it is important to personalize each communication and avoid sending a generic mass email. Additionally, be mindful of the number of professors you contact and make sure you are genuinely interested in their program before reaching out.

3. Can I ask a professor for a recommendation letter for their masters program?

Yes, it is appropriate to ask a professor for a recommendation letter for their masters program. However, it is important to have a strong relationship with the professor and provide them with enough time to write the letter. It is also helpful to provide them with a copy of your resume and any relevant information to assist them in writing a strong letter.

4. Is it necessary to disclose any personal or ethical concerns with a professor before joining their masters program?

Yes, it is important to disclose any personal or ethical concerns with a professor before joining their masters program. This can include any conflicts of interest, personal beliefs, or potential conflicts that may arise during the program. Honesty and transparency are key in establishing a healthy and ethical relationship with your professor.

5. What should I do if I feel uncomfortable or disagree with a professor's ethical practices during the masters program?

If you feel uncomfortable or disagree with a professor's ethical practices during the masters program, it is important to address your concerns directly and respectfully with the professor. If the issue cannot be resolved, reach out to a higher authority or the university's ethics committee for guidance. It is important to prioritize your own ethical values and well-being while also adhering to the university's code of conduct.