Prove/Disprove Euclidean Domains: Unique q & r Exist?

In summary, this seems to be a very fundamental problem...but i need help to prove or disprove its existence.
mansi
this seems to be a very fundamental problem...but i need help...
prove or disprove : let D be a euclidean domain with size function d, then for a,b in D, b != 0, there exist unique q,r in D such that a= qb+r where r=0 or d(r) < d(b).
first of all, what is size function? next...do we only need to show the existence of unique q and r?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that size function means exactly that - it is a well ordering on the set D, a way of comparing two elements for "size", though you ought to read the place where this appears as it will define it properly (I don't think it's standard, in that I've never heard of it, but that means nothing, I suppose).

I'd imagine that this means given x in D and a set of elements, Y, then you may pick the largest element of Y that is less than x.

There will also be some linearity condition, ie, d(x+y)=d(x)+d(y), and that d(a)<d(b) implies d(a)+d(x) < d(b)+d(x)

since you are given that it is a euclidean domain, the concept of size function is part of the definition. I.e. look where they define eucldiean domain, and the size function will be defined.

For example in my book it is as follows:

Definition: A domain is called a Euclidean domain if the division algorithm holds in the following form: to each non zero element a of R there is associated a non negative integer d(a), such that
(i) for a,b non zero in R, we have d(a)<=d(ab),
(ii) for a,b non zero in R, there exist t,r in R such that a = bt +r, and either r=0 or d(r) < d(b). [Note: uniqueness of t,r, is not required.]

this revelas a likely meaning of your problem. i.e. they probably have defined euclidean domain as i have and merely asking you about uniqueness of the t,r or in your notation the q,r.

1. What are Euclidean domains?

Euclidean domains are mathematical structures that satisfy the Euclidean algorithm, which is a method for finding the greatest common divisor of two numbers. They are also characterized by having a division algorithm, which allows for division with remainder.

2. What does it mean for a Euclidean domain to have unique q and r?

This means that for any two elements a and b in the Euclidean domain, there is only one possible quotient and remainder when a is divided by b. In other words, there is only one way to express a as a multiple of b plus a remainder.

3. How do you prove that a domain is Euclidean?

To prove that a domain is Euclidean, you must show that it satisfies the three properties of a Euclidean domain: the existence of a division algorithm, the existence of a Euclidean function, and the existence of a Euclidean algorithm. These properties can be demonstrated through mathematical proofs.

4. Can a domain be both Euclidean and non-Euclidean?

No, a domain cannot be both Euclidean and non-Euclidean. It is either one or the other. If a domain satisfies the properties of a Euclidean domain, then it is considered to be Euclidean. If it does not satisfy these properties, then it is non-Euclidean.

5. What are some examples of Euclidean domains?

Some examples of Euclidean domains include the integers, polynomials with coefficients in a field, and the Gaussian integers (complex numbers with integer real and imaginary parts). Any ring of integers in an algebraic number field is also a Euclidean domain.